Notices

Tire Rack Wheel Clips

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020 | 04:05 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Tire Rack Wheel Clips

Trailex sells "Carpeted Compression Plates & Two Grip Lock Fasteners" for their tire rack. They keep transported wheels from sliding around on the tire rack. $114 plus shipping seems a little steep for such a simple system...but they work well.

After a deep dive into the Google, I discovered "Spring Collar Clips" for $9.75 a pair. They're made for holding weights in place on a barbell.
You're welcome.
https://www.roguefitness.com/spring-collars

UPDATE--ATTENTION: I just received a set and they fit a 2-INCH bar...not usable with a typical 1.25" tire rack bar.

Last edited by PLNewman; 09-19-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-13-2020 | 11:48 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 673 Posts

I use these on my Trailex tire rack. They work much better than the bench-press bar type clips, which tend to loosen up as you drive and the tires shift around. These stay solid the whole drive. They are a bit pricey though...but worth it considering one time the tires shifting around on the rack resulted in a broken valve stem on one wheel...fortunately I noticed it when airing up before heading out on track w/ the wheels on the car.

McMaster-Carr Part number 1511K31 - Quick-Release Clamping Shaft Collar for 1-1/4" Diameter.

Last edited by Nickshu; 09-13-2020 at 11:49 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nickshu:
DHI (09-19-2020), fnel1771 (09-16-2020), Martin S. (09-17-2020)
Old 09-13-2020 | 01:25 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Very very cool.
The following users liked this post:
Nickshu (09-13-2020)
Old 09-16-2020 | 03:52 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
Trailex sells "Carpeted Compression Plates & Two Grip Lock Fasteners" for their tire rack. They keep transported wheels from sliding around on the tire rack. $114 plus shipping seems a little steep for such a simple system...but they work well.

After a deep dive into the Google, I discovered "Spring Collar Clips" for $9.75 a pair. They're made for holding weights in place on a barbell.
You're welcome.
https://www.roguefitness.com/spring-collars

But you still need the plates don't you ?
Old 09-19-2020 | 08:07 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Need the plates

Good point: Yes you will need a plate, maybe 2, or large washers.
Old 09-19-2020 | 10:33 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
But you still need the plates don't you ?
Originally Posted by Martin S.
Good point: Yes you will need a plate, maybe 2, or large washers.
Couple of those from the HW store and you got it made; with a little elbow grease to enlarge a hole. Lowes @ $0.98 ea

Last edited by ExMB; 09-19-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-21-2020 | 04:05 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
I use these on my Trailex tire rack. They work much better than the bench-press bar type clips, which tend to loosen up as you drive and the tires shift around. These stay solid the whole drive. They are a bit pricey though...but worth it considering one time the tires shifting around on the rack resulted in a broken valve stem on one wheel...fortunately I noticed it when airing up before heading out on track w/ the wheels on the car.

McMaster-Carr Part number 1511K31 - Quick-Release Clamping Shaft Collar for 1-1/4" Diameter.
Thanks so much for posting this. I have been looking for something like this item for a while now and could not find anything. So tired of the spring style clamps on my Trailex bar moving around and letting the wheels separate from one another on the tire rack. This looks like the perfect solution.
Nickshu (09-21-2020)
Old 09-23-2020 | 01:38 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Shandingo
Thanks so much for posting this. I have been looking for something like this item for a while now and could not find anything. So tired of the spring style clamps on my Trailex bar moving around and letting the wheels separate from one another on the tire rack. This looks like the perfect solution.
I ordered the aluminum quick release clamps from McMaster-Carr and they didn't work well for me. I found that in order to make them tight enough to not slip on the bar the adjuster screw needed to be adjusted just right and it was a pain to get the clamp to close. I am sending them back and ordering the two-piece steel collars for a fraction of the price. My theory is that the clamping force will be more evenly distributed with the two piece collars. My only concern about the two-piece ones is that if the screws were to back out the clamps could, in theory, fall off the bar. That is probably very unlikely though, so I am going to give them a shot.
Old 09-23-2020 | 07:11 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shandingo
I ordered the aluminum quick release clamps from McMaster-Carr and they didn't work well for me. I found that in order to make them tight enough to not slip on the bar the adjuster screw needed to be adjusted just right and it was a pain to get the clamp to close. I am sending them back and ordering the two-piece steel collars for a fraction of the price. My theory is that the clamping force will be more evenly distributed with the two piece collars. My only concern about the two-piece ones is that if the screws were to back out the clamps could, in theory, fall off the bar. That is probably very unlikely though, so I am going to give them a shot.
Sorry to hear that, they work fine for me and have for quite some time. They are tight but I can open and close them w/ finger pressure. Guess I have strong hands LOL.
Old 09-23-2020 | 07:41 PM
pvgolfer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was also disappointed with the Trailex tire rack stops… I ended up building my own version using aluminum angle pieces and stage lighting clamps. I initially tried using the one piece collars clamps with quick release, but as @Shandingo found, it was too hard to adjust the tightness. It forces you to tighten one complete rotation of the clamp, rather than micro-adjustments.

I like my solution, as it is an integrated solution which allows installing/removing the clamps against the back side of the wheels AFTER the wheels are already on the rack. No need to slide those plates on/off from the ends. However as @Shandingo pointed out, the two piece clamps that I use do indeed loosen while on the road. The wing nut must be tightened down (using pliers). I ended up adding a (nylock) lock nut to prevent the wing nut from backing off.

My picts show the clamps installed on a broomstick as an example, since my trailer is in storage.

DER951 (09-27-2020)
Old 09-23-2020 | 07:51 PM
pvgolfer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Clamp installed on back side of wheels
Old 09-23-2020 | 08:13 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 352 Posts

My follow up note to McMaster-Carr when they sent me clamps that don't fit.
Gentlemen:

As you can see, my invoice is below. The problem I am having, the I.D. on your hinged collar shaft is too small. I measure a 20mm collar opening, in the closed position, or .787 of an inch, and 23.5mm in the max open position. The shaft I am trying to secure is 23.5mm, about 7/8"in diameter. I need the appropriate shaft collars to secure the 7/8" shaft.

Could get an AR and return what I have for collars (2) that will secure a 7/8" shaft?

A picture is worth 1,000 words, so pics are enclosed.

$52.000 for two (2) , ouch, and they didn't fit.

I initialy specified the sizing needed, then after they sent me clamps that didn't fit. I sent the above note a few days ago. So far, "Crickets", and have yet to hear back from them. I give up and will request a refund. I am headed to my local hardware store for collars with allen bolt stops, and some super large washers to snug up againast the wheels.

Last edited by Martin S.; 09-23-2020 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-24-2020 | 01:24 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

^^^Interesting, my clamps fit great. I did have to initially adjust the preload on the allens that connect to the QR piece, but once that was set they have worked great.
Old 09-30-2020 | 10:46 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I've never had a issue with using tie downs. Yep, not as pretty, but they function just fine.
Old 10-02-2020 | 04:23 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

My trailer guy came up with an interesting and functional twist on the McMaster-Carr Quick-Release Clamping Shaft Collar. It fits a 1.25" OD pipe. He cut a circle of aluminum and welded a short piece of 1.5" pipe to it. The center 1.25" support pipe fits through it. The Quick-Release Shaft Collar then fits up against the larger pipe, allowing a few inches of "working room" for getting the Shaft Collar on and off. He covered both sides of the aluminum circle with carpet to protect the wheel and my hands. It's really nice.

Quick Reply: Tire Rack Wheel Clips