Notices

Sway Control or Weight Distribution on a Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 02:32 PM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sway Control or Weight Distribution on a Cayenne?

Over the years I recall various posts that made the comment that WD and/or sway control were not to be used on a Cayenne (and probably all other unibody SUV).
Given the structural differences between an SUV and a pickup truck the comment sounds reasonable.
Does anyone know if Porsche or any of the SUV manufacturers have written policies on these devices?

TIA
Old 07-27-2020, 12:27 PM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 178 Posts

I have not read any policies, however, I use one on my 2013 GL350 diesel along with a load balancer with my 24' enclosed Featherlite trailer with no issues.

Todd
Old 07-27-2020, 12:59 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 180 Posts

Also Trailer dependent. TraileX does not recommend. Anecdotal seems to be A frame vs single I beam hitch setup.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:00 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,429 Likes on 827 Posts

my buddy runs a 20ft atc enclosed on his ml350 with WDH and its worked for him for years. The car doesn't look particularly happy, but it gets the job done
Old 08-01-2020, 03:27 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

I have a Range Rover Sport and they don’t recommend using one. This comes from the owner’s manual, but it’s pretty generic:
“CAUTION”
“The use of weight distribution hitches is not recommended. Using weight distribution hitches can potentially cause serious damage to the vehicle.”
https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/.../proc/G1858165

The Range Rovers all have air suspension and mine is the turbodiesel with the tow package. I haven’t used a WD system and have been happy with the towing performance on an 8.5x20 steel enclosed trailer.

I found this explanation and info:
https://www.etrailer.com/question-333980.html
Old 08-02-2020, 02:41 PM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for all the comments.
Ace, your link to the electric brake sway control is something I never would have thought of. Fortunately I'm fine now with my open trailer, but good to know this is available if I ever need sway control.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:59 PM
jzwolak
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dave-C2
Over the years I recall various posts that made the comment that WD and/or sway control were not to be used on a Cayenne (and probably all other unibody SUV).
Given the structural differences between an SUV and a pickup truck the comment sounds reasonable.
Does anyone know if Porsche or any of the SUV manufacturers have written policies on these devices?

TIA
The Jeep Grand Cherokee owner's manual for 2014 (and many other years) explicitly says "If the gross trailer weight is 3,500 lbs (1 587 kg) or more, it is mandatory to use a weight-distributing hitch to ensure stable handling of your vehicle. If you use a standard weight-carrying hitch, you could lose control of your vehicle and cause a collision." A little later there is a complete section on weight distribution hitches. All model years of Jeep Grand Cherokees are unibody. Therefore, at least the JGC can, according to the manufacturer and some model years, use a WDH. From what I've seen, all JGCs can use WDHs, but I haven't verified that for every model year.

You can look up the info in the online pdf manual for the JGC on Mopar's website: https://www.mopar.com/jeep/en-us/my-...penGarage=true

Old 09-11-2021, 11:35 AM
57nate
Track Day

It might have something to do with air suspensions rather than unibodies.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:57 PM
jzwolak
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 57nate
It might have something to do with air suspensions rather than unibodies.
The JGC has an air suspension option and the manual does not say anything about "only if no air suspension". I don't think there can be a claim made across all SUVs related to unibodies or air suspensions and WDHs. Also, some half ton and 3/4 ton trucks have air suspensions installed after market and at least Ram has it as an option on some of their trucks.

I think the issue is more about how the hitch is attached to the vehicle, possibly how the particular unibody was constructed (in the area around where the hitch is attached), and whether the engineers designed or tested for a WDH. This is a much more specific and hard to determine criteria. There's a good post about the VW Touareg explaining why it likely shouldn't use a WDH over on Club Touareg: https://www.clubtouareg.com/threads/....278442/page-2
See Solandri's post.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:46 AM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 134 Posts

I tow with BMW X5s. Because it’s a unibody you can’t use a wdh. With of all the torque imposed by a wdh, they’re really intended for use on full frame trucks.

I got a lot of sway from my enclosed trailer when I got a new 2021 X5, especially on downhills. Put a sway control hitch on and it works great. No detectable sway at all.

my .02
Old 09-12-2021, 01:17 PM
jzwolak
4th Gear

Originally Posted by tgsmith4845
I tow with BMW X5s. Because it’s a unibody you can’t use a wdh. With of all the torque imposed by a wdh, they’re really intended for use on full frame trucks.

I got a lot of sway from my enclosed trailer when I got a new 2021 X5, especially on downhills. Put a sway control hitch on and it works great. No detectable sway at all.

my .02
A unibody can be constructed to be just as strong as a truck with a frame. There's nothing inherently weaker about a unibody. It all depends on how it is designed. It's kind of like asking the question which is heavier, a ton of bricks or a ton of straw? Change that to, which is stronger, a unibody that can withstand 300 ft-lbs of torque or a frame that can withstand 300 ft-lbs of torque? If the unibody is somehow weaker, it could be redesigned to be stronger. When the engineers designed the vehicle, if they had WDHs in mind, then they can make the unibody work with a WDH. Jeep did exactly that and recommends using WDH for loads above 3,500 lbs. In fact, they warn the owner that an accident may occur if not using a WDH when towing loads over 3,500 lbs! Please see the manual I referenced in a previous post where Jeep specifically recommends using a weight distribution hitch with their unibody Grand Cherokee.

Also of interest is that the X5 is from Europe, just like the Touareg. It's possible that, like the Touareg, it was not designed for WDHs because in Europe they have a different approach to weight distribution with typical tongue weights of 7% and no WDH.

For anyone doing research and reading this thread. You can take the Jeep Grand Cherokee as an example of a unibody with air suspension that can handle a weight distribution hitch. The manufacturer recommends it according to the manual. You can find the manuals online and check this for yourself. I did so with the 2014 JGC manual. No claims about a unibody or air suspension not being suitable for a weight distribution hitch are true. To determine if your vehicle can use a WDH, you must consult your manual. If your manual doesn't say, then you'll have to contact your manufacturer or an expert like the guys at CanAm.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:01 PM
BigT
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thread with a question and lots of theories espousing opinions. So here is mine: I have owned and towed extensively with all three generation of Cayenne-all S models-for 17 years. All used the same weight distributing hitch I have owned for 20 years. Never a trailer or tow vehicle problem (other than blown tires, for driving too fast at too low a tire pressure-50 versus 60 psi, but that is another thread).
I have researched and tried to find the frequently referenced statements from various trailer and vehicle manufactures. I have found nothing in writing from a reputable source saying do not use the WD hitch on a Cayenne. I know the folks at the trailer manufacturers who are referenced and have discussed with them. They are good people, but they are guided by their attorneys, so the proper answer is "we don't recommend". That's correct as they have never tested and their attorney would never allow recommending something they had not tested.. So if I were working for a trailer mfger, I'd say the same thing.. My experience with Porsche dealers, and there tech support folks in Atlanta is that they know little and care less about this issue, most don't even know how to install an electric brake controller, so short of a written tech bulletin from Germany, i would not rely on their advice.
Particulars of my experience: First gen Cayenne towed a 24ft enclosed steel trailer briefly; loaded weight was approx 7000 . All worked fine but trailer was clearly too big for the short wheelbase Cayenne- i was downsizing from a Suburban. When my new enclosed Trailex arrived I towed it 5500 lbs loaded behind all three gen Cayennes with plenty of power and stability.. Towed extensively, and continue to tow up and down the East coast from Sebring to Mosport, and most places of interest in between. Never experience a trailer or Cayenne problem.

So please, if anyone has any published facts from authoritative sources saying don't use a WD hitch on a Cayenne, please reference it for us all and put this issue to bed..
Happy and safe towing.
The following users liked this post:
jzwolak (09-14-2021)

Quick Reply: Sway Control or Weight Distribution on a Cayenne?