Spinning in an Airstream

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 01:27 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Spinning in an Airstream

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...airstream-tow/

Interesting comments on towing an oversized trailer with a truck that is marginal for the weight, and fully supports many comments made about towing an enclosed trailer with an SUV.
The overall rig was just within limits, but couldn't handle the wind.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:26 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,515 Likes on 951 Posts

I don't read that the same way. The rig may have been within maximum towing limits, but it was WAY over hitch capacity, rear axle capacity, and cargo capacity and there wasn't a weight distribution hitch or anti-sway control. I'm actually surprised that the author and his wife didn't seriously injure or kill somebody. Towing without knowing what you're doing is dangerous and stupid. I was surprised that Car and Driver published this article, until I realized that it was really a marketing placement for Pottery Barn.

The way that the author laughs about his lack of experience and his overloaded rig is disgusting. Morons like that shouldn't be allowed on the road.

Old 06-16-2021, 11:45 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts

++1
Really surprised the published that

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I'm actually surprised that the author and his wife didn't seriously injure or kill somebody. Towing without knowing what you're doing is dangerous and stupid. I was surprised that Car and Driver published this article,

The way that the author laughs about his lack of experience and his overloaded rig is disgusting. Morons like that shouldn't be allowed on the road.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:45 PM
cobradvm
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I wonder if it was something like the RV in this video - pretty sure the driver needed new underwear afterwards....

Truck Troubled by Large Fifth Wheel RV (msn.com)

Quick Reply: Spinning in an Airstream