Notices

Open aluminum trailer vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 09:11 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 289 Posts

Your tires are past their date and will make you very sad. Start with getting good tires first. 2016 tires are about 1 year too old and not to be trusted. No matter how much tread is left. Ask me how I know (and others too).
Old 10-06-2020, 06:09 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

To be clear "Roadforce" isn't a different kind of balancing.

It is a feature on Hunter machines that measures the radial and lateral runout of the tire and wheel assembly (or bare rim).

Assuming the runout is within tolerance, the machine simply tells you so and you balance as normal.

If the runout is excessive then it proposes repositioning the tire on the wheel to match the "high spot" on the tire with the "low spot" on the wheel to minimize the total runout of the assembly.

This involves breaking the beads and rotating the tire on the rim.

It is worth throwing the tires on the machine to see what is measures the runout to be. Then you can rule it out or take corrective action.

Shouldn't cost very much to just throw them on the machine and give them one spin and get a reading.

They should also have an adapter for the machine that allows you to bolt the wheel to it for stud piloted wheels (stud centric).
Old 10-06-2020, 10:12 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,392 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
To be clear "Roadforce" isn't a different kind of balancing.

It is a feature on Hunter machines that measures the radial and lateral runout of the tire and wheel assembly (or bare rim).

Assuming the runout is within tolerance, the machine simply tells you so and you balance as normal.

If the runout is excessive then it proposes repositioning the tire on the wheel to match the "high spot" on the tire with the "low spot" on the wheel to minimize the total runout of the assembly.

This involves breaking the beads and rotating the tire on the rim.

It is worth throwing the tires on the machine to see what is measures the runout to be. Then you can rule it out or take corrective action.

Shouldn't cost very much to just throw them on the machine and give them one spin and get a reading.

They should also have an adapter for the machine that allows you to bolt the wheel to it for stud piloted wheels (stud centric).
yup i'm pretty familiar with roadforce balancing, but its still mostly unheard of on trailer tires. Will try some other things first, but go back to that if no joy.

thanks for all the help guys.
Old 10-09-2020, 02:18 AM
dapopa9
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have that same trailer but without the rock guard/deflector. I tow it with a 958TT. I've never had the vibration issue you describe,

I have also always used one of these hitch stabilizer pieces - so not sure if that makes any difference or not but its cheap and easy and worth a shot for you -
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by dapopa9; 10-09-2020 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:59 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by dapopa9
I have that same trailer but without the rock guard/deflector. I tow it with a 958TT. I've never had the vibration issue you describe,

I have also always used one of these hitch stabilizer pieces - so not sure if that makes any difference or not but its cheap and easy and worth a shot for you - https://www.amazon.com/StowAway-Tigh.../dp/B0001CMUV4
hmm very odd. I bought one of those hitch stabilizers as well. I don't think that will solve my problem but willing to try.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2020, 10:56 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Well oddly pulling the shield reduced the vibration about 75% when combined wirh the hitch stabilizer. im still not 100% satisfied but its way better
Old 10-10-2020, 11:19 PM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

Guess I’ll be pulling my stone shield....
Old 04-05-2021, 05:39 PM
Mike Woj
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you tell me what you found out on the shield removal and whether is solved the problem.? I have a new Aluma 8218 tilt that I bought the end of last year. It towed fine. No vibrations with a smooth ride at all speeds. I added a stone guard and tool box a few months ago. All Aluma accessorizes On my first time out with a loaded trailer and empty I NOW get those same issues with vibrations. Some times it will ride smooth and then when I travel down the road and it does it again. For no real rhyme or reason. Nothing else was changed on the truck or trailer.

Last edited by Mike Woj; 04-05-2021 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:50 PM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

I never got around to removing mine. I’m pulling a lighter (2800 vs 3800) car now, and it seems to be less of an issue. I am going to try to cut about a foot off of the shield so I can see behind me. I have the high rise shield that is about 43” above the deck.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:59 PM
Mike Woj
3rd Gear

I don`t know if cutting it will help you. I have the shorter stone guard on my aluma trailer and I am still getting the issue.I will try to post a pic of the one I have.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:04 PM
Mike Woj
3rd Gear

not my trailer or the same type trailer but I found a pic of what the Aluma rock guard looks like

Old 04-05-2021, 06:14 PM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Perhaps not, but my primary purpose in cutting it is for rear visibility. Probably worth some mpg as well!
Old 04-06-2021, 09:13 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Ive towed a few times without the shield and while definitely better, the vibration is still there. When its smooth its a dream to pull but with the vibe its pretty annoying. A shame
Old 04-06-2021, 08:14 PM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

I cut 12” off the shield today. Didn’t help vibration but it made a world of difference in rear visibility.

Old 09-23-2021, 11:08 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

so to update this thread, I balanced the tires, and tried moving the car all the way forward and back on the trailer. Further back seemed to help a bit (but was bouncy) temporarily, but then after about 2 hours or so, it was back to its old self. Checked and greased bearings, adjusted brakes, etc. To me this is really not acceptable. My last option is to take it to a trailer specific shop (if they would ever call me back ) and if they can't help then I have to sell it. It makes tows over an hour or so unbearable. Aluma was a bit helpful at first, but no longer responds to my emails. I'm not sure how a platform with wheels can be this bad, but here we are. extremely frustrating.

Quick Reply: Open aluminum trailer vibrations