Notices

Open aluminum trailer vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2020 | 02:14 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,448 Likes on 837 Posts

I have not had time to take any further steps on this, but will update when I do. Really hope this is easily fixable because I'm thrilled with the trailer otherwise.
Old 09-27-2020 | 05:52 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Well seems i may have gotten screwed by the seller but im not 100% sure as im a trailer noob. Here are pics of the axles...they appear damaged. Can anyone confirm that this is not how they should look?

Is it possible they were hit and are now just improperly aligned?

Also, my buddy towed it with his body on frame lexus, same problem...which isnt surprising
Old 09-27-2020 | 06:25 PM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Nothing obvious there. Mine look the same, although they still have a thin layer of paint since they are almost new. They appear to have a slight bow to them.

New wheels and tires did help, but didn't totally cure my issue.
Old 09-30-2020 | 09:15 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 286 Posts

OP, ^what do you see that makes you think that the bottom of your trailer is damaged? I cannot see anything.

also, the minor bow on trailer axles is a crude way to set camber on a load bearing (basic) axles. They have been like that for 50yrs.
Old 09-30-2020 | 01:14 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Igooz
OP, ^what do you see that makes you think that the bottom of your trailer is damaged? I cannot see anything.

also, the minor bow on trailer axles is a crude way to set camber on a load bearing (basic) axles. They have been like that for 50yrs.
It appears to me that they are dented in the center in that the tube looks somewhat flattened or bent. Maybe its an illusion.
Old 09-30-2020 | 10:12 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 286 Posts

I see, perhaps someone placed a jack under there with the trailer loaded? If the trailer tire wear is OK, then it is most likely OK.

did you check your wheel bearings and the play?
Old 10-04-2020 | 12:09 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Well tried out my buddy's goodyear tires...no real change. Aluma said the axles looked ok and wanted to roadforce balance the tires...which seems crazy
Old 10-04-2020 | 02:45 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,128 Posts

What’s your tongue weight?
you inspected bearings?
when we’re they last packed?

i believe the length is similar to my old feather lite.
on a rear engine 911 i was further back. 911 rear wheel center line in line with back of back tire if you can visualize that. Have you played around with placement? Specifically further back?

Old 10-04-2020 | 10:55 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Spyerx
What’s your tongue weight?
you inspected bearings?
when we’re they last packed?

i believe the length is similar to my old feather lite.
on a rear engine 911 i was further back. 911 rear wheel center line in line with back of back tire if you can visualize that. Have you played around with placement? Specifically further back?
It vibrates similarly without any load at all so it doesnt seem to be a car placement issue.

Trailer is from 2018 and was used sparingly so i havent done anything with bearings. They are ezlube bearings so i could regrease i spose
Old 10-04-2020 | 01:44 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

Does it have ebrakes? Do you have them set correctly for the appropriate load? Is it possible it's an electronics thing, like some kind of odd triggering of the traction control if the trailer is swaying a little, causing trailer to brake as well. Have you ever towed it empty for a short distance without the electric hooked up to rule that out?

Last edited by linzman; 10-04-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-05-2020 | 09:25 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Well tried out my buddy's goodyear tires...no real change. Aluma said the axles looked ok and wanted to roadforce balance the tires...which seems crazy
Road force balance can only help. Why does that seem crazy?
Old 10-05-2020 | 02:40 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by okie981
Road force balance can only help. Why does that seem crazy?
probably 85% of trailer tires aren't balanced at all. Most people simply line up the dots with the valve stem and slap them on.

Not to mention, these things are lug centric, not hub centric, so that introduces another degree of variability into the situation.

I've never heard of anyone road force balancing trailer tires. If I thought that would solve the problem, I'd do it, but I'm not thinking that the tires are the issue unless this trailer is extremely sensitive to the tires.
Old 10-05-2020 | 02:42 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by linzman
Does it have ebrakes? Do you have them set correctly for the appropriate load? Is it possible it's an electronics thing, like some kind of odd triggering of the traction control if the trailer is swaying a little, causing trailer to brake as well. Have you ever towed it empty for a short distance without the electric hooked up to rule that out?
Yes to all. vibration was definitely present without trailer brake controller active.
I suppose it could be an issue of brake adjustment in which the drum might randomly catch the shoe, but seems kind of unlikely.
Old 10-05-2020 | 08:44 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 900 Likes on 550 Posts

Did you take off your shield yet?
Old 10-05-2020 | 09:07 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
probably 85% of trailer tires aren't balanced at all. Most people simply line up the dots with the valve stem and slap them on.

Not to mention, these things are lug centric, not hub centric, so that introduces another degree of variability into the situation.

I've never heard of anyone road force balancing trailer tires. If I thought that would solve the problem, I'd do it, but I'm not thinking that the tires are the issue unless this trailer is extremely sensitive to the tires.
Understood, but if struggling to eliminate a hard to solve vibration, any source can help, no?

Why would just mounting tires and wheels on a trailer make them not worthy of balancing especially when you are facing a vibration problem?

I get the lug-centric vs. hub-centric point, but still, either method hub or lug, can benefit from a proper dynamic tire balance. Granted the lug-centric potentially obviates some of the benefit of a road force balance, but not all of the potential benefit on all lug-centric wheels.

Hope you get this solved. Vibrations annoy me big time. Wish I had my own tire mounting and balance machines.

Quick Reply: Open aluminum trailer vibrations