Notices

Portable battery powered inflator for trailer

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 03:13 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Portable battery powered inflator for trailer

I already have a small 12v inflator in my track stuff box, but I was thinking one of these would be nice for the trailer:

Advantages would be:
- Its tank based so should be super fast
- Small / light enough to be picked up and moved around car
- Runs off battery which can be easily swapped / recharged
- Could get shortish hose allowing for filling one side at a time

What do you think? I still haven't tried the pistol grip style inflators, something tells me they would be too slow.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:54 PM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I use this. Cheap, small and light. It is slow, took about 3 minutes per tire today to bring my rain tires from 15 to 30 PSI. Nice thing is that the battery is the same for my impact wrench and other power tools.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:00 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lmnsblu355

I use this. Cheap, small and light. It is slow, took about 3 minutes per tire today to bring my rain tires from 15 to 30 PSI. Nice thing is that the battery is the same for my impact wrench and other power tools.
Yeah that is kind of slow, I like that its cordless but my plugin 12v inflator works pretty good if want something I I can fit in the car. I'd say takes about a minute to add 10 PSI and it has auto-stop to whatever PSI you want. So I just start it then go about doing whatever until time to switch tires.

Main idea with Dewalt tank setup is I could do it much faster. Its definitely big but not bad for the trailer I think.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:26 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

It's going to take a long time to bring a trailer tire up to the 60 or 80 psi you are going to want.
I used the Campbell Hausfeld rechargeable for a few years but had to replace them regularly as they would eat their impeller.
And CH didn't seem to care. So I gave up on them.
But I do use their 120 v versions which seem to last (though that doesn't help you for your trailer).
Conclusion - a 12 v compressor for trailer tires that can supply the pressure you need without destroying itself will be hard to find.
Might be worth looking at what the rv and trucker community does.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:03 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
It's going to take a long time to bring a trailer tire up to the 60 or 80 psi you are going to want.
I used the Campbell Hausfeld rechargeable for a few years but had to replace them regularly as they would eat their impeller.
And CH didn't seem to care. So I gave up on them.
But I do use their 120 v versions which seem to last (though that doesn't help you for your trailer).
Conclusion - a 12 v compressor for trailer tires that can supply the pressure you need without destroying itself will be hard to find.
Might be worth looking at what the rv and trucker community does.
sorry by “for trailer” I meant it would go in my enclosed trailer and used on car for track days ... I usually have to air up tires in the morning if it’s a 2 day event
Old 11-07-2018, 08:23 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by pkh

sorry by “for trailer” I meant it would go in my enclosed trailer and used on car for track days ... I usually have to air up tires in the morning if it’s a 2 day event
Add a nitrogen bottle in your trailer. That will fill up faster than any 12v compressor.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:48 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skxf430
Add a nitrogen bottle in your trailer. That will fill up faster than any 12v compressor.
yes but then I need to have a big long hose to go to car, also need to manage keeping it full, strapping it in, etc..
Old 11-07-2018, 08:56 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by pkh
yes but then I need to have a big long hose to go to car, also need to manage keeping it full, strapping it in, etc..
if you get a large enough tank it should last a season. You can always opt for a smaller tank on a dolly so you don't need such a long hose. But, I understand it isn't ideal.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:26 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

I used to have smaller Nitrogen cylinders connected to a hose reel in my trailer. Worked well but I had 3 of those tanks to rotate. This year I got a carbon fiber tank retired from some fire department and because I do some welding, pumped that tank to 3500 PSI. It is rated for 4500! Very light and you need to pay attention getting fittings for it that work for you. I keep it in a 26" long toolbox. Easy to bring to a tire and very light to move around. Can top off a lot of tires with 3500 psi stored.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:41 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 555 Posts

I have both Ryobi models. Both are very good, but the larger model has a "fill to" feature that is really nice for air up track tires in the morning. I ditched my Nitrogen setup. It's sooooo much easier just to use this little guy. The battery lasts forever. If I were doing it again, I'd get the Milwaukee (because all my other tool are Milwaukee)
Old 11-11-2018, 12:49 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pkh
Oh jeez, sorry!
Assumed for trailer tires.
Lots easier getting to 30 or so than 80!
Old 11-14-2018, 08:31 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Hey so I got the compressor today and I am really stoked for this new tool. I hooked up a 6 foot hose and a digital inflator gun. It can inflate a tire up 10 PSI in around 10 seconds with the tank full. I think I can get all my tires topped off in the time it would have taken to fill one tire with my old 12v compressor.

Its not super light but easy enough to carry around one handed, and its small enough to fit in one of my cabinets. Works pretty nicely with a blow gun too if you wanted to use one to clean up your trailer / car.

Here's video of me filling one of my GT4 tires from 22 PSI to 36 PSI:

Old 11-19-2018, 12:40 AM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a great solution, I have been using a Stanley jump start box with an air compressor built in. It is sufficient for air adjustments but would take forever to actually fill a tire. The jump box part has helped a few guys out at the track also. This is looks to be a great option, wish Milwaukee made something similar because I have 18 and 12 volt tools in that system already but all they make is an inflator which isn't really an upgrade from what I have. Thanks for sharing the video.

Quick Reply: Portable battery powered inflator for trailer