Notices

Loading and unloading procedures (looking for advice/tips)

Old 10-23-2017, 12:59 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

If you are seriously paranoid, or don't have room for error (roll-out area) and are outside the car. Have wheel a chock on hand and "follow" the rear wheel with the chock.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:31 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by gene.will
One thing to watch for on Trailex and a GT4 is the tire bump stops are high enough that they can play havoc with your front brake cooling ducts when you back off, particularly if you are running a 19" track wheel. Assuming you load front forward, the ducts with go over fine, but due to the shape can catch when backing off. I learned this the hard way.
Another's guy with 19" wheels told me the same thing. I have 20" wheels and have not had an issue with this so far. You have had this issue with 20s?
Old 10-25-2017, 09:32 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jscott82
If you are seriously paranoid, or don't have room for error (roll-out area) and are outside the car. Have wheel a chock on hand and "follow" the rear wheel with the chock.
I was thinking about this approach myself. Have you tried it before? Does the wheel chock work when the car is on the ramps?
Old 10-26-2017, 09:44 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
In addition to the above comments I always jack up the tongue of my trailer, both loading and unloading, to help the process.

Unloading, it helps the car to roll off the trailer.

Loading, it helps to control the car if you are winching it on. Never, ever, winch a car onto a trailer is at a down angle.
WARNING!

Most trailers will have the tongue fly up in the air if not coupled to a truck when loading/unloading. And very bad things happen in seconds after that. Open or enclosed trailer. Friends GF decided to load his Boxster while he was occupied elsewhere. Enclosed trailer went tongue up. As this happened the side door started to close because it was now higher then the pile of tires holding it open. She panicked and backed out, door bottom came down on pile of tires. Tires OK, door severely jacked up.
I have seen people do it while attached, they just pick up the truck a bit in thr process.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:25 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Shandingo
I was thinking about this approach myself. Have you tried it before? Does the wheel chock work when the car is on the ramps?
I have a tilt bed trailer, so don't have ramps.. But yes, anytime I am not in the car and there aren't straps holding it in place, there is a chock behind a tire (trailer has a front guard, so not worried about it going off forwards)

Would work fine on the ramps too... You just need to be quick so the car does not get any momentum going before you stop it. Just like hitting the brakes.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:44 AM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jscott82
I have a tilt bed trailer, so don't have ramps.. But yes, anytime I am not in the car and there aren't straps holding it in place, there is a chock behind a tire (trailer has a front guard, so not worried about it going off forwards)

Would work fine on the ramps too... You just need to be quick so the car does not get any momentum going before you stop it. Just like hitting the brakes.
Thanks. How far behind the wheels do you position the chock generally?
Old 10-27-2017, 02:52 AM
wgn
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
All good advice, especially about developing a routine. Most importantly: Don't let anybody help and don't let anybody distract you.
Heed this advice. ^^

I've loaded and unloaded so many times it's almost autopilot. Featherlite open, race ramps, drive on and off. Driving on I get to where the tires first hit the ramps, stop, and lean out the window to make sure I'm lined up on the ramps. I've put tape on the trailer where the front wheel should be, with wheels on the rack and without, and can line that up by leaning out the window.

The only time I've had an issue loading or unloading is when someone else was "helping". Actually left a race ramp at the side of the road 1.5 hours from home when I had someone else helping with the load up.

I politely decline help now as it's much easier to just go through the routine myself.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:39 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Shrug. About the only reason I would want a winch is if I had to load the car not running. Perhaps I'm lucky, relatively narrow car and wide, low, flat trailer. I recall ShakeNBake loading his old GT3 on that open Trailex and it was tight.

Often, I just drive it up, immediately following the last session of the weekend. Skip to 10:15 if impatient:

TXE36 Trailer Loading

I greatly second the advice about not talking to people while loading/unloading.

-Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loading and unloading procedures (looking for advice/tips)