Notices

car positioning in trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 12:06 AM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

ATC is off on what they advertise. Maybe an uninsulated stripped down model is 3000, I mean really stripped down. I think mine was 5100 on the scales unloaded.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:07 AM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

sorry, posted too quick.

I'm close to 9000 on the scales loaded.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:28 AM
Conekiller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarcD147
I plan on winching car in to save clutch.
I figured frontloading was good to counterbalance the rear engine of the cup car?
I'm new to trailering as well and had the same idea but in my experience this doesn't work. My trailer is an open trailer and I added about 300 pounds of weight to the toolbox in the front to try and counterbalance my 911 being to far back when originally loaded. That only ended up increasing the toungue weight by about 75 pounds. I had to change up my tie straps to get the car further forward and the rear axle equal with the trailer axles to get the proper toungue weight.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:32 PM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lmnsblu355
Isn't tongue weight supposed to be limited to 10-15% of trailer weight? An ATC 22 weighs about 3000 lbs empty. Cabinets and gear 500 lbs? Your tongue weight seems very high.

Does a weight dist hitch allow higher tongue weight?
10-15% is a rule of thumb used to balance the load in a manner that puts enough weight forward to help prevent sway. There is no actual "limit" per se. Weight distribution hitches are designed to attempt to distribute the total load among the available axles on the tow vehicle and the trailer. It really has no correlation to tongue weight per se. The real limitations in trailering are tow rating, Payload, and rear axle weight rating of the tow vehicle. Tongue weight and weight distribution hitch have a relative bearing on 2 of those items.

Back to the OP's question. Never believe the "brochure" weight of the trailer. The actual weight will be on its data plate when you get it. But to answer your loading question, the best thing to do is simply spend some time at your local truck scales. They are set up so you can measure axle loads, tongue weights, total load of trailer, weights bearing on the tow vehicle, etc.

The scales have 3 independent pads, and you can change the location of your car inside the trailer, the rig across the scales, un hitch it and get the actual tongue weight, etc. once you have all that, you can determime you best loading practice, and where to place your tire rack.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:44 AM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcD147
I plan on winching car in to save clutch.
I figured frontloading was good to counterbalance the rear engine of the cup car?
If you winch it on you can pull it in backwards so the engine is in the front. Then you can position it more to the rear of the trailer and not waste that space.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:45 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

Old 09-16-2017, 11:53 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

You guys are making this too complicated. The first time you take it out on the highway, you'll know if it's well balanced or not.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:26 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Originally Posted by linzman
You guys are making this too complicated. The first time you take it out on the highway, you'll know if it's well balanced or not.
Not necessarily. It can trailer fine until way too light on the tongue. You wouldn't know unless you make an emergency swerve to avoid something.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:32 PM
mikemessi
Racer

But enclosed car haulers typically have the axles way towards the rear so unless you're pulling empty trailer with just 911 way to the back will never be a problem. If you pay attention when pulling in you can feel when weight shifts onto tongue. Initially tries to pull coupler off hitch then as you inch forward you can feel and see it roll over and push down on front. If always pull in to this point will be fine.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:59 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

You can buy a tongue weight scale for about 150.00. I'm willing to loan mine out to the forum, just pay for shipping.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:06 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemessi
Not necessarily. It can trailer fine until way too light on the tongue. You wouldn't know unless you make an emergency swerve to avoid something.
Lighten up Frances. See the It was said in jest, but if you're using a tongue weight scale, move the car 2-3 times, figure out the sweet spot, you're done. No need to check every time, With a rear engine car, most of the weight is going to be close to or over the trailer axles, moving it a few inches is not going to make a huge difference. Just make sure the car is not too far back.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:12 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
You can buy a tongue weight scale for about 150.00..
Bingo!!!

This is the only way to do it correctly. There is no reason to start guessing around because finding out in a high wind or emergency brake situation that you've got it wrong can be expensive. Your max tongue weight will be limited by your hitch and the specs on your truck. 10- 15% of total trailer weight is a good number. There is no good reason to go higher.

http://sherline.com/product/sherline...-weight-scale/

Originally Posted by linzman
It was said in jest, but if you're using a tongue weight scale, move the car 2-3 times, figure out the sweet spot, you're done. No need to check every time, With a rear engine car, most of the weight is going to be close to or over the trailer axles, moving it a few inches is not going to make a huge difference. Just make sure the car is not too far back.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:56 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Bingo!!!

This is the only way to do it correctly. There is no reason to start guessing around because finding out in a high wind or emergency brake situation that you've got it wrong can be expensive. Your max tongue weight will be limited by your hitch and the specs on your truck. 10- 15% of total trailer weight is a good number. There is no good reason to go higher.

http://sherline.com/product/sherline...-weight-scale/

+1 - super fast to check and you can throw it in the trailer, it a good use of $. I use mine all the time.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:49 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
+1 - super fast to check and you can throw it in the trailer, it a good use of $. I use mine all the time.
I use one of these as well for real time... https://www.weigh-safe.com/

Quick Reply: car positioning in trailer