Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range anxiety in the winter.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2024, 09:57 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 455 Posts

Have a Taycan CT4 and so far no issues with range in the cold. Granted I have a level 2 charger on my home garage and my wife has and EA station right next to her job with 4-6 150kw chargers....so we are able to charge easily enough despite any weather conditions. She drives it now 100% of the time and we sold her BMW X3e hybrid which only got 18-21 miles on a full charge. She had enough range to get to work which is 10-12 miles away and only range issue has been forgetting to charge the car overnight or 100+ miles trips outside our local area where she doesn't use the car navigation to "advise" her of when and where to charge and thus she didn't have SA on her electrical state. To charge at home less that $10-15 a week or so...can't beat that with my ICE which costs me $50-60 easy for my 30 mile round trip...makees me wish I still had the Taycan CT4 sometimes. But agree for daily commuting....many EVs can't be beat if you know what you are dealing with and best way to utilize them to charge and drive...especially pre-conditiioning the car and having home charging ability.
Old 02-11-2024, 02:31 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I still dont understand why people fall for this EV stuff.
Besides the other reasons that have already been mention….consider the price of gas, versus the price of electricity from home.

Only put premium gas in most of my cars, including the Porsche 992. Factory recommended. Depending on the time of year, a gallon of premium gas where I live (much cheaper than states like California, etc) is about $4.50….and has been as high as $5.50 about a year ago. That’s about $75 to fill up my Porsche, from empty.

Meanwhile, it costs me about $14 to fill up my EV at my convenience, @home. Even with 2x the range I get from the Porsche, than my EV….I still save about $45 over what it costs me to drive the same distance with the Porsche.

Now, money is really not my issue, but for many, saving $30-50 per week, is. But what I don’t “understand” is why ICE people don’t understand this?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-11-2024 at 02:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (02-11-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 03:08 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,655 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Besides the other reasons that have already been mention….consider the price of gas, versus the price of electricity from home.

Only put premium gas in most of my cars, including the Porsche 992. Factory recommended. Depending on the time of year, a gallon of premium gas where I live (much cheaper than states like California, etc) is about $4.50….and has been as high as $5.50 about a year ago. That’s about $75 to fill up my Porsche, from empty.

Meanwhile, it costs me about $14 to fill up my EV at my convenience, @home. Even with 2x the range I get from the Porsche, than my EV….I still save about $45 over what it costs me to drive the same distance with the Porsche.

Now, money is really not my issue, but for many, saving $30-50 per week, is. But what I don’t “understand” is why ICE people don’t understand this?
Whats the most important currency? Its time. Not money. You can always make more money but you cant make more time. I just filled up my cayenne around 20 gallons of gas. Thats about 400 miles of range. It took me roughly 3 minutes 45 seconds end to end to accomplish this. How long would that take in a taycan? Well it wouldnt even be possible to begin with as they dont have a range that long but based on my bad math, it would take 2x20-30 minute charging sessions to get 200 miles of range. Taking average, that is 50 minutes total vs 4 minutes. Now take this and add it up. I drive 24,000 miles/year on my cayenne. I would spend 240 minutes in a year filling up my car vs 5000 minutes for taycan. In 10 years, the difference is 2400 minutes vs 50,000 minutes. Thats 34 days of your life you have now spent waiting for your EV to fill up. 34 days! In a dying bed, if someone came up to you and gave you a choice of 34 more healthy days you could spend with your teenager kids, you would trade all the EVs in the world to take those 34 days back.

This saving money from EV thing is the dumbest idea when time is not factored into the equation.

Its like saying you work in job A that pays $500k. Job B pays $1M. Great! But Job B is 80 hrs week, no vacation, constant travel, etc. So its not really a 100% improvement.

Old 02-11-2024, 03:27 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

For the most of us that charge at home, having an EV is a big time saver.
The following 4 users liked this post by d00d:
flygdchman (02-12-2024), mdrobc1213 (02-11-2024), pjazz (02-11-2024), whiz944 (02-12-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 03:39 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by d00d
For the most of us that charge at home, having an EV is a big time saver.
But charging at home is not really what the party line is. Party line is EVs are the future and replacement of ICE. Thats where the problem is. You can use them to go to your dentist or whole foods and keep it on charger. Thats the duty of a 2nd or 3rd car. You cant tow a trailer in a road trip, load it up with 3 bikes, travel 1000 miles on a 13 hour road trip, cant just get up and go when hurricane shows up, cant really handle unpredictable events such as an interstate like I-70 shutting down and you having to make a massive 300 mile detour in upstate newyork without being able to figure out charging locations. The list goes on and on and on. The only thing they are good for is like they are a car version of an iphone. Cool gadget but if you want to take proper pictures to print, you need a prime lens and a proper full frame camera to do so.

We will be exactly in the same spot in 10 years. You actually dont realize that the amount of money you save on your second car in gas is far less than having 1 car and use it for everything. The upfront taycan cost, plus depreciation, plus insurance do not come close to the running cost of an ICE SUV as a single car. Its basic math.
Dr. Z (03-11-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 03:46 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Whats the most important currency? Its time. Not money.
Maybe for you, but not for most middle-wage earners. Money is king. Period.

You can always make more money but you cant make more time. I just filled up my cayenne around 20 gallons of gas. Thats about 400 miles of range. It took me roughly 3 minutes 45 seconds end to end to accomplish this. How long would that take in a taycan?
Most of us with EV’s charge at night when asleep….automatically recharged and ready to go for the morning’s commute. Easy, peasy.

You do sleep, right? Well, let me know how you can refill your ICE while sleeping? I’d love to watch, but I’ll be sleeping.

Oh, and if you really want to save on time….don’t sleep. 😂

flygdchman (02-12-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 03:54 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

But charging at home is not really what the party line is. Party line is EVs are the future and replacement of ICE. Thats where the problem is.
”party line”? 😳

Me thinks you watch too much Faux?

We will be exactly in the same spot in 10 years. You actually dont realize that the amount of money you save on your second car in gas is far less than having 1 car and use it for everything. The upfront taycan cost, plus depreciation, plus insurance do not come close to the running cost of an ICE SUV as a single car. Its basic math.

Again, you don’t get it.

Buying a Taycan is for the 1% club. Money’s really not the issue for this group.

But smoking people like you in your dinosaur vehicle, is what it’s all about. Personally, I get the biggest grin when I floor it.

Bottom line - People buy EV’s for an assortment of reasons. Some to save on transportation and repair costs. Other’s for the instant torque. Others just like a quiet, smooth ride. Others for the tech. Still others want to reduce CO2 emissions. Etc. But whatever the reason…it’s their choice.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-11-2024 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2024, 04:11 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
”party line”? 😳

Me thinks you watch too much Faux?

Again, you don’t get it.

Buying a Taycan is for the 1% club. Money’s really not the issue for this group.

But smoking people like you in your dinosaur vehicle, is what it’s all about. Personally, I get the biggest grin when I floor it.

Bottom line - People buy EV’s for an assortment of reasons. Some to save on transportation and repair costs. Other’s for the instant torque. Others just like a quiet, smooth ride. Others for the tech. Still others want to reduce CO2 emissions. Etc. But whatever the reason…it’s their choice.
I’m a happy dinosaur with multiple GT3RS, turbo s, 812. I am actually as dinosaur as you will see. I’m really happy with the way I am.
Old 02-11-2024, 05:00 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

I’m a happy dinosaur with multiple GT3RS, turbo s, 812. I am actually as dinosaur as you will see. I’m really happy with the way I am.
👍

Everybody should be happy.
Old 02-11-2024, 10:49 PM
pjazz
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 140 Posts

I created this thread for EV owners. Not for people who have no idea of how useful they are and can never be convinced they are.I think the argument of EV bad ICE good does not belong in this section unless you have an EV or are seriously considering getting one.

It seems like the same argument devolves the same way in some of these posts. It really gets old.
The following 2 users liked this post by pjazz:
flygdchman (02-12-2024), stanwyk (02-13-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 10:51 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by pjazz
I created this thread for EV owners. Not for people who have no idea of how useful they are and can never be convinced they are.I think the argument of EV bad ICE good does not belong in this section unless you have an EV or are seriously considering getting one.

It seems like the same argument devolves the same way in some of these posts. It really gets old.
I have one…and thinking of a 2nd
Old 02-12-2024, 12:54 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,726 Likes on 5,123 Posts

Last edited by ipse dixit; 02-12-2024 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-12-2024, 04:09 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 288 Posts

But charging at home is not really what the party line is. Party line is EVs are the future and replacement of ICE. Thats where the problem is. You can use them to go to your dentist or whole foods and keep it on charger. Thats the duty of a 2nd or 3rd car. You cant tow a trailer in a road trip, load it up with 3 bikes, travel 1000 miles on a 13 hour road trip, cant just get up and go when hurricane shows up, cant really handle unpredictable events such as an interstate like I-70 shutting down and you having to make a massive 300 mile detour in upstate newyork without being able to figure out charging locations. The list goes on and on and on. The only thing they are good for is like they are a car version of an iphone. Cool gadget but if you want to take proper pictures to print, you need a prime lens and a proper full frame camera to do so.

There are a lot of party lines. It depends on who you talk to. Nonetheless the shift to EVs is inevitable - simply due to technology and manufacturing advances. But it will take time. In 10 years the vast majority of new vehicle sales will be EVs. Here in California, EVs represented over 20% of new car sales in 2023. The percentage will continue to increase.

Speaking of range anxiety in the winter, Norwegians seem to be dealing with it. Over 80% of new car sales in 2023 were EVs. While the Model Y is king, VW seems to be doing ok in #2 (ID.4), #3 (Skoda Enyaq), and #9 (ID.3) spots:

https://nordicevs.no/evs-continue-to...ully-electric/

Last edited by whiz944; 02-12-2024 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 04:36 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whiz944
There are a lot of party lines. It depends on who you talk to. Nonetheless the shift to EVs is inevitable - simply due to technology and manufacturing advances. But it will take time. In 10 years the vast majority of new vehicle sales will be EVs. Here in California, EVs represented over 20% of new car sales in 2023. The percentage will continue to increase.

Speaking of range anxiety in the winter, Norwegians seem to be dealing with it. Over 80% of new car sales in 2023 were EVs. While the Model Y is king, VW seems to be doing ok in #2 (ID.4), #3 (Skoda Enyaq), and #9 (ID.3) spots:

https://nordicevs.no/evs-continue-to...ully-electric/
How big is Norway vs US? How is Norway’s infrastructure from a public transportation perspective? Do you think you can use an EV year around in Indiana or Ohio and travel to Alabama or Oklahoma? Millions of millions people live in parts of the country where you travel miles upon miles with nothing but farm lands. There is no euro rail. No ryan air with 50 EUR rides. People travel by car to visit family or work all the time. NYC, NJ, LA, Chicago, SF do not represent US. Europe doesnt have the weather disasters we do here in US. Power doesnt go out for half of France or entire Denmark and Austria for 9 days when hurricane hits. Do you understand that no matter how advance technology becomes, we still cannot change what planet we live on, what part of planet sees what kinds of weather conditions, etc? These EV forecasts is out of touch.

For the record, I consider myself living in NYC. I dont live in Ohio. And I am from Europe and I do visit Europe every year (or multiple times a year). I have extensive family and friends in Europe and US. So dont read my posts and assume I’m a midwest guy who has a dodge hemi parked out front.
Zhao (02-13-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 05:14 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Do you think you can use an EV year around in Indiana or Ohio and travel to Alabama or Oklahoma?
The bigger question is, why would you want to? 😎

That said, the pace of the charging infrastructure build-out, is highly dependent on where most people with EV’s live. It’s a process. It’s analogous to less populated states were also the last one’s to see 5G rollout in their areas. Or the lack of gas stations in the sparsely populated parts of the West (eg., NM, Arizona, Nevada, Wyoming, Oklahoma, , Utah, etc). Spent many a trip traveling through the Southwest, during my youth, and seeing signs that said, “next service/gas station 183 miles).

Putting in charging stations is a timely and expensive proposition, so unless mandated (or incentivized) by the federal or state government, no private company is going to willingly put in chargers unless they feel they can recoup their investment - which means having enough EV customers to pay off the investment and operating costs.

But per what Whiz said, EV’s are inevitable. It may take 20, 30 or even 40 years for complete conversion…but it will happen, as fewer and fewer automotive manufacturers produce or invest in ICE vehicles. That’s already happening now..,..even Porsche has begun its conversion process. Porsche, the king of combustion machines! Not likely you will ever see any new engines coming out from Porsche. They know the handwriting is on the wall….

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-12-2024 at 06:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Range anxiety in the winter.