Sponsored by:

Taycan TS vs 991.2 TTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 05:48 PM
driver69
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
Agree that the 991.1 is a bit dated in regards to the PCM. The 991.2 PCM while the same size has a higher screen resolution on the PCM and the MFD (multi function display) and a faster processor. It's night and day difference. Depending on if the 991.2 has the internet module updated (free or discounted from porsche) it will also have google earth and traffic updates which is neat. The navigation in the 991.2 is actually really good compared to other OE navigations which give you strange routes and directions. It saved my butt once when I was in the middle of nowhere with no phone signal on 30 miles of range left for fuel while being stuck on a desolate highway that was backed up for miles due to an accident.

Tires alone will transform the 991 TTS and with exhaust/tune its still faster than nearly everything out there. Modifications make drastic differences on the platform and elevate the experience greatly. My 991.2 TTS would pull away from a Tesla plaid slightly for the first two gears whether launching or from a 1st gear roll. Plaid would start coming back and pass in 3rd and into 4th with the TTS stopping the gap and eventually creeping back but that was deep into triple digit speeds. It wouldn't give an inch from a roll or dig against any other EV or highly modified cars that had very responsive supercharged/turbocharged V8's.

They most certainly have gone down the luxury route, especially as every new generation rolls out but it still has it's own unique lux experience. The Turbo S is vastly underrated by us Porsche folks as whacky as that may sound. Every 911 made is truly a destined classic car. The 991.2 TTS is the sweet spot IMO when it comes to choosing anywhere from 997-992 911 Turbo.
That is very encouraging. I'm thinking about Stage 1 (+70PS/100nM) and an exhaust to keep it within the "safe" window and not kill the engine+gearbox outright.

Last edited by driver69; 08-24-2023 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-24-2023, 06:29 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,233 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by driver69
That is very encouraging. I'm thinking about Stage 1 (+70PS/100nM) and an exhaust to keep it within the "safe" window and not kill the engine+gearbox outright.
They're "bulletproof" as some would say in the automotive industry. The TTS is a no funny business big boy and the undisputed flagship of all 911's. The exhaust by Kline Innovations that's made of a "super alloy" inconel will not only give a uniquely crisp and clean exotic exhaust tone, it will also reduce close to 100 pounds worth of weight. That's a +++ for power, sound, and weight reduction but at an expensive cost but well worth it. There are huge performance gains to be had on the cheaper end too if you wish. Over 100whp for $2-$3k. The motors can be of excess of 1000whp without a problem. PDK clutches are good into the 800whp range and upgrade recommended at 850whp and beyond. The tuning is advanced and there are a lot of fail safes dialed in to not overstress any component. 991.2 TTS offers and outstanding ownership experience.
The following users liked this post:
driver69 (08-24-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 02:45 AM
NF4710
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 122 Posts

Agree that the 991.1 is a bit dated in regards to the PCM. The 991.2 PCM while the same size has a higher screen resolution on the PCM and the MFD (multi function display) and a faster processor. It's night and day difference. Depending on if the 991.2 has the internet module updated (free or discounted from porsche) it will also have google earth and traffic updates which is neat. The navigation in the 991.2 is actually really good compared to other OE navigations which give you strange routes and directions. It saved my butt once when I was in the middle of nowhere with no phone signal on 30 miles of range left for fuel while being stuck on a desolate highway that was backed up for miles due to an accident.

Tires alone will transform the 991 TTS and with exhaust/tune its still faster than nearly everything out there. Modifications make drastic differences on the platform and elevate the experience greatly. My 991.2 TTS would pull away from a Tesla plaid slightly for the first two gears whether launching or from a 1st gear roll. Plaid would start coming back and pass in 3rd and into 4th with the TTS stopping the gap and eventually creeping back but that was deep into triple digit speeds. It wouldn't give an inch from a roll or dig against any other EV or highly modified cars that had very responsive supercharged/turbocharged V8's.

They most certainly have gone down the luxury route, especially as every new generation rolls out but it still has it's own unique lux experience. The Turbo S is vastly underrated by us Porsche folks as whacky as that may sound. Every 911 made is truly a destined classic car. The 991.2 TTS is the sweet spot IMO when it comes to choosing anywhere from 997-992 911 Turbo.
We will have to disagree on the .2 navigation. Coming from a Taycan it also feels ancient. Tiny screen, slow, and the navigation is quite poor. From what I have seen mods for the turbo models make them faster but seldom more engaging. They are cars for folks like yourself who are interested in absolute max performance (which is totally fine but not a priority for all). You can start up a Taycan and blast away with peak torque. A turbo will have to warm up for 15 minutes before you can use it's peak power. For most people that means your peak performance isn't even available for most of your commute. Again, I own a 991 and love ICE cars including 911 turbos....but for a daily driver I actually think a .2 turbo is a step down from a taycan turbo for 99.9% of people.

NF
flygdchman (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 07:18 AM
driver69
Track Day

Originally Posted by NF4710
We will have to disagree on the .2 navigation. Coming from a Taycan it also feels ancient. Tiny screen, slow, and the navigation is quite poor. From what I have seen mods for the turbo models make them faster but seldom more engaging. They are cars for folks like yourself who are interested in absolute max performance (which is totally fine but not a priority for all). You can start up a Taycan and blast away with peak torque. A turbo will have to warm up for 15 minutes before you can use it's peak power. For most people that means your peak performance isn't even available for most of your commute. Again, I own a 991 and love ICE cars including 911 turbos....but for a daily driver I actually think a .2 turbo is a step down from a taycan turbo for 99.9% of people.

NF
I’m fine with ICE performance differences, it’s part of the experience and I think I’ll get used to those. I’m starting to feel like EVs can be compared to paper cups - they’re good while they last, a used 22’ Taycan TS is significantly cheaper than a 17’ 991.2 TTS, even though price new was almost similar. Navigation - as long as Apple car play works I’m fine, I don’t use the inbuilt one on the Taycan anyways because it’s useless. My worry for now is ground clearance. Taycan can lift the whole thing up in a matter of seconds and get 14cm, 991 is about 3cm lower than that but has FAL, but considering it has a shorter wheelbase I suspect it should not be a problem.
Old 08-25-2023, 07:13 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Originally Posted by NF4710

NF
Certain things age with grace, and "dated" is a poor term to use *insert plethora of analogies here*. I personally disagree with most of your post but I'm not here to debate.

Enjoy your taycan
driver69 (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 08:34 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I see your Taycan and raise you a M5 CS.

That might be favorite four door car under 200k.
I'll humbly and 100% respectfully disagree - not for me - but 100% validate your opinion and your _RIGHT_ to have that opinion - I find the Taycan better looking and I'll take it's effortless smooth performance and low CG over the earnest power of any ICE sports sedan w/8 speed transmission…

but _IF_ there was no Taycan - I think I'd have to agree 100%

I will however lust after BMW's phone-as-a-key and superior "tech" vs. Porsche's driving chops and adequate tech that needs some improvement - but the M5 CS would not be a swap for me personally vs. my Taycan Turbo - but I can fully understand that may not be true for others and it _IS_ a worthy alternative.

thanks for pointing this out - I haven't been keeping up with ICE sport sedans- and this bad boy _IS_ an option if you want to go that way - I enjoy'd reading about it - and when I'm back in mid sept. I may try and wrangle a test drive - may be a visit to the BMW driving school near palm springs to get a better picture.

thanks again for pointintg it out! It's so awesome to have choices.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 08-25-2023 at 08:36 PM.
911dude41 (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 09:06 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

I found the M5 handling lacking, revealing its low cost platform origin, my several generations old S8 handles better.
Old 08-25-2023, 09:26 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Originally Posted by driver69
I’m fine with ICE performance differences, it’s part of the experience and I think I’ll get used to those. I’m starting to feel like EVs can be compared to paper cups - they’re good while they last, a used 22’ Taycan TS is significantly cheaper than a 17’ 991.2 TTS, even though price new was almost similar. Navigation - as long as Apple car play works I’m fine, I don’t use the inbuilt one on the Taycan anyways because it’s useless. My worry for now is ground clearance. Taycan can lift the whole thing up in a matter of seconds and get 14cm, 991 is about 3cm lower than that but has FAL, but considering it has a shorter wheelbase I suspect it should not be a problem.
I literally used FAL a handful of times. It was used more often to show people how it worked.
Old 08-25-2023, 09:55 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

I literally used FAL a handful of times. It was used more often to show people how it worked.
FAL is used on my 992 Turbo all the time - lots and lots of dips and parking lot driveways that otherwise scrape - with the GPS memory for FAL I can literally count all the placed I need it. but I understand it's a YMMV thing - for me it's a must have
Old 08-26-2023, 06:33 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
I found the M5 handling lacking, revealing its low cost platform origin, my several generations old S8 handles better.
I totally agree. It’s brutally fast but not much fun. I think of it as a 4 door GTR. Just test drove one for the second time a few weeks ago and remembered why I respect it but just can’t love it. I actually think the E63 is more fun.

NF
daveo4porsche (08-26-2023)
Old 08-27-2023, 05:12 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,011 Likes on 5,234 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
I'll humbly and 100% respectfully disagree - not for me - but 100% validate your opinion and your _RIGHT_ to have that opinion - I find the Taycan better looking and I'll take it's effortless smooth performance and low CG over the earnest power of any ICE sports sedan w/8 speed transmission…

but _IF_ there was no Taycan - I think I'd have to agree 100%

I will however lust after BMW's phone-as-a-key and superior "tech" vs. Porsche's driving chops and adequate tech that needs some improvement - but the M5 CS would not be a swap for me personally vs. my Taycan Turbo - but I can fully understand that may not be true for others and it _IS_ a worthy alternative.

thanks for pointing this out - I haven't been keeping up with ICE sport sedans- and this bad boy _IS_ an option if you want to go that way - I enjoy'd reading about it - and when I'm back in mid sept. I may try and wrangle a test drive - may be a visit to the BMW driving school near palm springs to get a better picture.

thanks again for pointintg it out! It's so awesome to have choices.
If you are ever out there, let me know.

I'm a regular at the Thermal Club.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlexCeres (08-28-2023), daveo4porsche (08-27-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 03:34 AM
driver69
Track Day

Sold my Mahogany TTS, did the swap. No regrets, this is a whole different level of Porsche. 2017 911 991.2 Turbo S in Lava Orange, 3k miles on the clock.

The following 2 users liked this post by driver69:
911dude41 (09-08-2023), MingusDew (09-10-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 03:46 AM
911dude41
Drifting

Congratulations, excellent choice and a massive upgrade!
driver69 (09-08-2023)

Quick Reply: Taycan TS vs 991.2 TTS