Sponsored by:

Taycan TS vs 991.2 TTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 10:14 AM
driver69
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Taycan TS vs 991.2 TTS

Hi there folks, I'm new here as I usually roam on the dedicated taycanforum.

I've watched countless reviews of the 991.2 Turbo S but thought it'd be insightful to read some opinions from those who've experienced both vehicles. Taycan is my first Porsche. Don't get me wrong, I love every bit of my Taycan, it's fast, nimble, usable and comfortable, but I want some more drama, some raw sound and a bit less understeer(lol). What's also concerning is the depreciation, it's going down so much I'm afraid one day I'll wake up and will have to pay someone just to get rid of it. The car is very modern and tech-y, so a 992 sounds like a better gas powered alternative but it's out of my league, used 992 TTSs go for 280k+ here and 991.2 TTS are 100k below that.

I’m addicted to the instant torque, incredible driving feel and overall fit and finish of it, though it did get quite squeaky over time, lots of rattles coming from B pillars and other plastic parts when driving over light bumps. My main concern is how does a Taycan TS feel to drive compared to a 991.2 TTS? Is the pedal responsive? Is it sharper in terms of cornering? Is it as good for daily driving? Are gearshifts almost instant or is there a slight delay etc. On paper performance looks very similar. I love the analogue dials and that there are physical buttons for almost everything. One thing I’ll miss is the 360 camera which is very useful.

I did test drive a 992 C2S with sport exhaust, it was great in many aspects but throttle response was lacking, it also felt very slow compared to the Taycan. Thanks
Old 08-23-2023, 01:58 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,886 Posts

I own both - the 911 is mechanical - the Taycan is digital - instant is not in the vocabulary of the 911 - but responsive, and ample is it's core value - smaller, lighter and an example of the best mechanical transmission and engine technology available - instant torque is hard to match - and the 911 is only as "quick" as the taycan on paper - and when you're in launch control - but it comes alive at speeds that will literally get you arrested if you want to see what it can do.

Taycan is a better daily driver in my experience
911 TurboS is better sports cars

Tootling around town the Taycan is going to be quicker, and the 911 is always in low RPM's and not ready for action - but has more top end and being smaller and lighter can be more fun to drive.

apple's and oranges…
The following 5 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
35mphgolf (09-01-2023), AlexCeres (08-23-2023), driver69 (08-23-2023), flygdchman (08-25-2023), whiz944 (08-24-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 04:17 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,227 Likes on 705 Posts

Straight out of the box the 991.2 TTS will brake and handle better. The PDK is seamless, smooth and lightning quick. Rattles are a crapshoot on all Porsche cars you either win or lose the rattle lottery. Ergonomically and functionally speaking the cabin of the 991.2 is better, it's a cockpit and a better drivers car that's straight to the point with no sacrifice to feeling and looking premium. The PCM is snappy and quick and is still better than some cars that are being made today in 2023. PCM functionally better than these new Porsche PCMs which are a chaotic with sub menu after sub menu just to pull one task.

If you modify, simple bolt on modifications like exhaust and a tune will leave any Taycan trim behind. Also with bolt ons and tune the 991.2 will have EV like acceleration or better from a roll granted you are in Sport + mode and in the proper gear. The torque is instant, just as you describe. If you're cruising along in "D" and in normal mode the Taycan will be quicker for sure.

0-60, 1/4 mile are basically identical out of the box. The Taycan will probably be a little more consistent in that regard. If you exceed 1/4 mile the 991.2 Turbo S will edge it away.

Your post shows which direction you're wanting to go and your gut is correct IMO. The Taycan is a throw away car that has an Audi clone. 991.2 TTS far more elegant, will age better and over the course of time will be worth more. 50 years from now the 991.2 TTS will still be on the streets and 99.9% of Taycans will recycled.
The following users liked this post:
driver69 (08-24-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 04:51 PM
driver69
Track Day

Originally Posted by 911dude41
Straight out of the box the 991.2 TTS will brake and handle better. The PDK is seamless, smooth and lightning quick. Rattles are a crapshoot on all Porsche cars you either win or lose the rattle lottery. Ergonomically and functionally speaking the cabin of the 991.2 is better, it's a cockpit and a better drivers car that's straight to the point with no sacrifice to feeling and looking premium. The PCM is snappy and quick and is still better than some cars that are being made today in 2023. PCM functionally better than these new Porsche PCMs which are a chaotic with sub menu after sub menu just to pull one task.

If you modify, simple bolt on modifications like exhaust and a tune will leave any Taycan trim behind. Also with bolt ons and tune the 991.2 will have EV like acceleration or better from a roll granted you are in Sport + mode and in the proper gear. The torque is instant, just as you describe. If you're cruising along in "D" and in normal mode the Taycan will be quicker for sure.

0-60, 1/4 mile are basically identical out of the box. The Taycan will probably be a little more consistent in that regard. If you exceed 1/4 mile the 991.2 Turbo S will edge it away.

Your post shows which direction you're wanting to go and your gut is correct IMO. The Taycan is a throw away car that has an Audi clone. 991.2 TTS far more elegant, will age better and over the course of time will be worth more. 50 years from now the 991.2 TTS will still be on the streets and 99.9% of Taycans will recycled.
That is really well said and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot for your input on this, it does make me more confident in my vision to replace the Taycan. Btw even though mine is a Turbo S, in pretty much every mode other than Sport Plus there is a slight delay in acceleration, which I assume is a downshift to the first gear(takes about a second). It is a LOT more prominent on lower trims such as 4S which I test drove before I bought my TTS.
Old 08-23-2023, 05:13 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

The taycan is a fantastic urban commuter. It’s more comfortable and easier than the 911. It’s a sedan, but on top of a rocket sled. It will win every stop light race against anything short of a Model S Plaid. It’s basically a personal roller coaster with optional massage seats.

The 911 TTS is the pinnacle jack of all trades sports car. It doesn’t have as much room, nor is it as comfortable as the taycan. Not as good in low speed traffic. Just as good on long highway cruises. Can rip it through the hills, or swap out the tires and do some track days.
driver69 (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 05:55 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

air suspension - Taycan rides much better than my 992 911
flygdchman (08-25-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 06:07 PM
driver69
Track Day

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
air suspension - Taycan rides much better than my 992 911
Noticed that while test driving tha 992 C2S. It is firmer, but something I can probably live with. Luckily I'm not a commuter (work from home) so basically every drive is a weekend drive. Thanks
daveo4porsche (08-23-2023)

Trending Topics

Old 08-24-2023, 02:51 AM
NF4710
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41

As a 991 owner whose wife has a Taycan I would love to agree with you...but I think most ICE cars won't retain value in the electric future. Turbo model 911 popularity has fallen as they have been made into luxury products with blistering performance but an otherwise anodyne driving experience. The GT cars are way more fun and represent the true sports car experience in modern 911s. All of these cars are throw away cars...there are too many cheap plastic parts and electrical modules to last 50 years IMO.

As for daily driving I think if your daily commute is in the canyons around LA or the twisty roads of TN the 911 is the way to go. In most other circumstances the instant torque and supple ride of the Taycan are WAY better (80% better ride and NVH but 25% worse handling in my assessment).

Lastly i find the 991 interior and infotainment are quite dated. I get that we all love the cars we own (heck I adore my 991.1) and that can make objectivity a challenge.

Cheers,
NF
The following 3 users liked this post by NF4710:
daveo4porsche (08-24-2023), driver69 (08-24-2023), flygdchman (08-25-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 02:57 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,726 Likes on 5,123 Posts

Both the TTS and Taycan are stupid fast.

The difference is the Taycan's speed feels effortless, whereas the TTS speed feels endless.

The Taycan -- like all EVs compared to ICE equivalents -- are just going to be better daily drivers b/c of how effortless they are to drive and accelerate.
The following 5 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AtTheGlen (08-25-2023), daveo4porsche (08-24-2023), Der-Schwabe (08-24-2023), driver69 (08-24-2023), flygdchman (08-25-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 08:53 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Taycan is the best Sports Sedan on the market
911 Turbo(s) is the best Sports Car on the market (or other 911's)

different cars - both sporty in different ways.
The following 4 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AtTheGlen (08-25-2023), Der-Schwabe (08-24-2023), flygdchman (08-25-2023), kort677 (08-25-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 11:47 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,726 Likes on 5,123 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
Taycan is the best Sports Sedan on the market
911 Turbo(s) is the best Sports Car on the market (or other 911's)

different cars - both sporty in different ways.
I see your Taycan and raise you a M5 CS.

That might be favorite four door car under 200k.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
35mphgolf (09-01-2023), daveo4porsche (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 02:33 PM
Boatsonthebrain
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had an '18 991.2 TTS with tune/exhaust mods, and now have a '21 Taycan Turbo S. Probably can't add much to what's already been said, but I love them both. Daily-drove the 991.2, played on the track some and did a 2,500 mi road trip through Vegas, the California coast and back to Denver. Just a fantastic all around car. Now the Taycan is my daily and, so far, could't be happier. Bought it CPO in Chicago, drove back to Denver with zero issues, charging or otherwise. The instant power/torque is addictive, the tech is great and honestly I get more thumbs-up from folks in this than I did in the 911. When I get into my '12 Maclaren for weekend drives, it now feels so archaic, but I still love it. No bad choices here IMHO!
driver69 (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 02:39 PM
driver69
Track Day

Originally Posted by Boatsonthebrain
Had an '18 991.2 TTS with tune/exhaust mods, and now have a '21 Taycan Turbo S. Probably can't add much to what's already been said, but I love them both. Daily-drove the 991.2, played on the track some and did a 2,500 mi road trip through Vegas, the California coast and back to Denver. Just a fantastic all around car. Now the Taycan is my daily and, so far, could't be happier. Bought it CPO in Chicago, drove back to Denver with zero issues, charging or otherwise. The instant power/torque is addictive, the tech is great and honestly I get more thumbs-up from folks in this than I did in the 911. When I get into my '12 Maclaren for weekend drives, it now feels so archaic, but I still love it. No bad choices here IMHO!
Thanks for your comment. I feel like both are great in their own regard. I think the thumbs up thing depends on color as well, even though mine is brown, the big show stopper here are those massive yellow calipers which give away what type of car it is. Can’t recall the amount of times I’ve let kids take pictures with it. I’ve never owned a gas powered Porsche and it’s very tempting, my main concern is whether I’ll regret the swap, looks like I won’t.
Old 08-24-2023, 03:18 PM
Boatsonthebrain
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Porsche generally does so well with their designs, most any color looks great :-) Can't imagine you'll regret a swap. My buddy may be getting ready to sell his '22 GT3 Touring with manual trans and Ti exhaust. Also a great daily driver, with the right trans and the right sounds - might be the only thing that could sway me from the Taycan at the moment!
driver69 (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 04:19 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,227 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by NF4710
As a 991 owner whose wife has a Taycan I would love to agree with you...but I think most ICE cars won't retain value in the electric future. Turbo model 911 popularity has fallen as they have been made into luxury products with blistering performance but an otherwise anodyne driving experience. The GT cars are way more fun and represent the true sports car experience in modern 911s. All of these cars are throw away cars...there are too many cheap plastic parts and electrical modules to last 50 years IMO.

As for daily driving I think if your daily commute is in the canyons around LA or the twisty roads of TN the 911 is the way to go. In most other circumstances the instant torque and supple ride of the Taycan are WAY better (80% better ride and NVH but 25% worse handling in my assessment).

Lastly i find the 991 interior and infotainment are quite dated. I get that we all love the cars we own (heck I adore my 991.1) and that can make objectivity a challenge.

Cheers,
NF
Agree that the 991.1 is a bit dated in regards to the PCM. The 991.2 PCM while the same size has a higher screen resolution on the PCM and the MFD (multi function display) and a faster processor. It's night and day difference. Depending on if the 991.2 has the internet module updated (free or discounted from porsche) it will also have google earth and traffic updates which is neat. The navigation in the 991.2 is actually really good compared to other OE navigations which give you strange routes and directions. It saved my butt once when I was in the middle of nowhere with no phone signal on 30 miles of range left for fuel while being stuck on a desolate highway that was backed up for miles due to an accident.

Tires alone will transform the 991 TTS and with exhaust/tune its still faster than nearly everything out there. Modifications make drastic differences on the platform and elevate the experience greatly. My 991.2 TTS would pull away from a Tesla plaid slightly for the first two gears whether launching or from a 1st gear roll. Plaid would start coming back and pass in 3rd and into 4th with the TTS stopping the gap and eventually creeping back but that was deep into triple digit speeds. It wouldn't give an inch from a roll or dig against any other EV or highly modified cars that had very responsive supercharged/turbocharged V8's.

They most certainly have gone down the luxury route, especially as every new generation rolls out but it still has it's own unique lux experience. The Turbo S is vastly underrated by us Porsche folks as whacky as that may sound. Every 911 made is truly a destined classic car. The 991.2 TTS is the sweet spot IMO when it comes to choosing anywhere from 997-992 911 Turbo.
driver69 (08-24-2023)

Quick Reply: Taycan TS vs 991.2 TTS