Sponsored by:

Taycan Sport Turismo Rear Bike Carrier Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 11:20 AM
cjhooper
AutoX

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Taycan Sport Turismo Rear Bike Carrier Issues

The Taycan GTS Sport Turismo I’ve been waiting over a year for finally arrived. Very exciting. I’m upgrading from a 2020 Taycan 4S because I love the wagon design and practicality as I have two kids. One specific reason was also to use the proprietary bike rack that fits on Cross Turismos through two cut outs in the rear bumper (the plastic lower bumper) and attaches directly to the frame.

https://www.porsche.com/international/accessoriesandservice/tequipment/specials/bikecarriersystems/rearmountedbikecarrier/

My dealer went to install it yesterday - and turns out the Sport Turismo has only one of the bracket cut outs to access the tow hook and is missing the brackets that guide the bike rack towards the attach points on the frame - and therefore can’t be used with the bike carrier. Very frustrating as all the press describing the car last year indicated it would work with the bike rack.

Curious if anyone else has dealt with this? Looking into whether I could sub a lower plastic bumper from a Cross Turismo since the bike rack does attach directly to the frame - and would presume the frames are identical?

I’d love to figure out a workaround as it’s a Paint to Sample car (Deep Sea Blue) that I’ve spec’d very specifically.
Old 05-12-2023, 10:20 AM
Jordan Kolins
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cjhooper
The Taycan GTS Sport Turismo I’ve been waiting over a year for finally arrived. Very exciting. I’m upgrading from a 2020 Taycan 4S because I love the wagon design and practicality as I have two kids. One specific reason was also to use the proprietary bike rack that fits on Cross Turismos through two cut outs in the rear bumper (the plastic lower bumper) and attaches directly to the frame.

https://www.porsche.com/internationa...edbikecarrier/

My dealer went to install it yesterday - and turns out the Sport Turismo has only one of the bracket cut outs to access the tow hook and is missing the snaptube vidmate brackets that guide the bike rack towards the attach points on the frame - and therefore can’t be used with the bike carrier. Very frustrating as all the press describing the car last year indicated it would work with the bike rack.

Curious if anyone else has dealt with this? Looking into whether I could sub a lower plastic bumper from a Cross Turismo since the bike rack does attach directly to the frame - and would presume the frames are identical?

I’d love to figure out a workaround as it’s a Paint to Sample car (Deep Sea Blue) that I’ve spec’d very specifically.
Do you have a photo of it ?
Old 05-16-2023, 09:31 AM
CTB
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

The Porsche Tequipment catalogue and specs state that the rear bike carrier is for “Taycan Cross Turismo models only.” As far as I’ve read and seen referenced, it is not compatible with GTS Sport Turismo model.

Perhaps a good welder or metal fabricator could build a bracket l, however it be concerned about the weight of the carrier. It’s heavy and cantilevered plus the weight of bikes. Good luck; frustrating I’m sure to not be able to use.

Last edited by CTB; 05-16-2023 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-16-2023, 12:43 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,797 Likes on 1,094 Posts

^^^ This, the parts catalog is pretty specific this is a CT only product.

Did you order the roof rails?

If not your option is a hitch and a hitch mounted rack.

Old 05-23-2023, 07:57 PM
langertown
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had half a mind to do what some, truly mad men have done, and have a conversion mount fabricated and use it with regular hitch mount equipment. Simple job for a welder, if you have the correct dimensions. Now your post is an interesting observation. I have a ST on it's way and assumed that the rear carrier was going to be an option for me. I must look deeply when I take possession.

Last edited by langertown; 05-23-2023 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:58 PM
PorscheCH
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Must be a US thing? The ST here (Switzerland) can all be specced with the rear bike carrier (see pdf, red arrow).
Attached Images
Old 08-06-2023, 08:38 AM
mprog
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 116 Posts

I am going to use SeaSucker mounts to carry my bike.
I can likely do two and get my wife’s bike on the roof glass as well.

But I’m hoping that eventually there’s a good option for a hitch for carrying 4 bikes (add in my 2 kids’ bikes) on my GTS Sport Turismo.

I wonder if it’s possible to fabricate a hitch receiver using only the single attach point in the GTS ST ? (No idea how strong the mount is or if there’s any sort of locking mechanism in it)

Trending Topics

Old 09-09-2023, 04:14 PM
ciantosca
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems absurd that no one makes a 2 inch hitch kit for this car. I want to replace my 328i wagon with GTS ST but I need to have five bikes, roof racks + hitch mount for the bike park. Stealth Hitch makes a great product but doesn't seem that anyone makes a hitch for this vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
mprog (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 02:33 AM
mprog
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 116 Posts

I’m doing this until someone makes a hitch.

Quick Reply: Taycan Sport Turismo Rear Bike Carrier Issues