Sponsored by:

Considering a used Taycan Turbo or M5

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 11:09 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Nah this is all bull****. But it’s a convenient rhetoric. Unless you’re living in the sticks, need real hauling, drive more than 200 miles a day regularly, you’ll be fine with an EV as a daily driver with home charging. But you’re entitled to your point of view. But maybe my friends all over the country (New York, Denver, Boulder, Florida, CT, Boston, Seattle, Dallas, Chicago) that own Taycan/EV are full of **** too?
you’re wrong, however your ego won’t let you admit it.

The answer lies in the relative preserved value of EVs that have to charge on the EA network vs the Supercharger rework. All the EA dependent cars have dropped dramatically compared to Tesla values.

That is an unbiased real world example, proving me right and you wrong. 🫳🎤
Old 07-28-2023, 11:24 AM
smohr33
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
you’re wrong, however your ego won’t let you admit it.

The answer lies in the relative preserved value of EVs that have to charge on the EA network vs the Supercharger rework. All the EA dependent cars have dropped dramatically compared to Tesla values.

That is an unbiased real world example, proving me right and you wrong. 🫳🎤
I had to charge at EA on my delivery day because the dealer delivered the car with 20%, but have literally never plugged my CT into another public charger. Not even once.
Old 07-28-2023, 04:01 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
If you’re actually driving your Porsche sport sedan (not sitting in traffic, and not driving like a granny) the average real world range in warmer weather is approximately 200 miles.
Over a 190 mile commute between the sticks and the Cape, I usually can't get over 60 MPH average because of traffic through Boston.

8 miles back roads 4%
54 miles highway 29%, 65MPH preferred
128 miles divided highway 67%, 75MPH preferred

This equates to a ~250 mile range with small battery and 21" tires.
It seems possible with large battery and 19 or 20" aerodynamic wheels to get over 300 miles range without trying?
Old 07-28-2023, 07:23 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Nah this is all bull****. But it’s a convenient rhetoric. Unless you’re living in the sticks, need real hauling, drive more than 200 miles a day regularly, you’ll be fine with an EV as a daily driver with home charging. But you’re entitled to your point of view. But maybe my friends all over the country (New York, Denver, Boulder, Florida, CT, Boston, Seattle, Dallas, Chicago) that own Taycan/EV are full of **** too?
As someone who lives in the sticks, your comments are most welcome.

"...daily driver with home charging..."

We knuckle-draggers, who live in the sticks, never ever venture more than hunndeth miles from our caves. Thus, to us, the public EV infrastructure is little to no consequence.

Old 08-04-2023, 12:43 AM
NF4710
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 120 Posts

Wife has a T4S. I just test drove an F90 M5 competition as a potential replacement for an older E63. I was disappointed at the lack of driver engagement. The heavy, lifeless steering sucked. The engine noise played out of the stereo didn’t sound that great. To be honest it was so much of an isolation chamber that it didn’t even feel that fast.

After test driving the M5 and being sorely disappointed I’m now considering a 2nd Taycan. I do think the BMW tech and interior are better than the Taycan though. The Taycans handling and steering are worlds better.

NF
The following users liked this post:
wkearney99 (08-06-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 03:45 PM
Kev.k
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I’m looking at a Taycan turbo over a M3 awd because Taycans have dropped a ton over the last 6 months and M3’s have not dropped a penny.

Didn’t plan to buy a EV, but used Taycans are really good value.
Old 08-07-2023, 04:43 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 845 Likes on 442 Posts

i must be really lucky. took delivery of 4ct from pecla last saturday & drove back home & all the ea charging station just worked like a charm (I stopped by 4-5 different locations along the way just to test it out) only complaints are of all the 350kw charger i used only 1 delivered 150+ rate. others just stay around 100 (try out a 150kw charger which also delivered 90+ to my surprise) I won't hesiate taking this car anywhere I want to go within state (just with a bit extra work in route planning)

Observed range is 210-250 miles depends on driving style(elevation change) but i'd say maximum one leg trip i wanna do would be right around 200. One perk of living in cali is that you are closer to future thus do not have to worry about range. Charging station on tap within 5-10miles & you'll have a porsche dealer within 10-30miles if you need a quick rescue (norcal/socal metro mostly)

Last edited by Yc911Kid; 08-07-2023 at 04:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
flygdchman (08-09-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 04:57 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
doing it over again - which I plan to do for the .2 when it comes out

skip PDDC (car has low CG and is flat naturally)
skip PCCB's - 100% un-necessary on this car - 90% regenerative braking + lack of any high performance stamina make them un-necessary - you'll still have reduced brake dust, and they will never wear out.

keep: RWS, Powercharge Port Door, 400V/150 kW option, 14 way seats for massage feature, 2+1 rear seating for 40/20/40 split rear seat, all the tech packages, fancy roof for light control, roof rails, passenger display, bose, and what ever cosmetics you like/want/can-afford
yea 400/150 must have; rws & massage seats are really nice. 2+1 maybe come in handy. i got blk/limestone leather int with paldao wood/neodyme trim. Killer combo!

The following 2 users liked this post by Yc911Kid:
Dr. G7 (08-07-2023), flygdchman (08-09-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 07:01 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev.k
I’m looking at a Taycan turbo over a M3 awd because Taycans have dropped a ton over the last 6 months and M3’s have not dropped a penny.

And why have Taycan prices dropped so precipitously?
Old 08-07-2023, 07:55 PM
Kev.k
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
And why have Taycan prices dropped so precipitously?
I honestly thought they were always going to despite the predicted future value.

It’s a 4 door saloon (estate isnt practical either compared to others) the size of a Range Rover. Was only ever going to appeal to older guys. They always depreciate heavily.

Seems all EV’s have taken a battering because they just don’t work for people who do miles.

Im semi retired and work from home. The spec for the price is hard to beat and they are still dropping hard.

Electric 911 or Macan would have worked much better as a first electric porsche. Much wider audience.

Last edited by Kev.k; 08-07-2023 at 08:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kev.k:
Drifting (08-10-2023), flygdchman (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 04:03 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AtTheGlen
I went from muscle cars and Corvettes in the ‘70s to assorted AMGs and a DB11 in the ‘00s and into the late teens but always with one of the two cars in the garage being a Porsche (usually 911s but also a Boxster and a Cayenne instead). I took delivery of a Taycan GTS in early April and have told friends that I can’t see owning an ICE sedan or SUV again - even though my wife and I loved our ‘19 Cayenne e-hybrid that made way for the Taycan. Off-peak electricity where I live in SoCal is $0.21 off-peak on a plan for EV and hybrid owners, and since gas is expensive here, economy is a factor (equivalent range seems to cost about half compared to what premium gas cost), but the real impact has been in performance.

I’m not ready to give up an ICE sports car like our 911 Turbo S or the incoming GT3 quite yet, but I am blown away by the Taycan’s performance. Its 0-60 time at 3.5 sec is slower than the 911 Turbo S, but it feels faster, probably because I feel all the torque from 0 mph whereas on the 911, I have to get into the power bad to get pressed back into the seat. The 911 under acceleration is very exciting but so is the Taycan in its own way - it’s like whoooossshhhhh and I’m gone without all the excitement (drama?) of a high-revving engine and lightning-fast shifts of the 911 on acceleration. The Taycan GTS is a total sleeper!

Also important is the handling. The GTS is said to have special suspension tuning and I am amazed how well this car handles, and it is nearly 1,400 pounds heavier than the 911. I like the GTS-specific trim bits inside and outside, too. From a standing start, the Taycan GTS has all the power I need. I suspect where one might feel faster acceleration in the Taycan Turbo and Turbo S is in the mid-range, e.g., 40 to 60 mph going uphill.

At our monthly PCA/Orange Coast Region breakfast and business meeting earlier this month, I drove my Taycan GTS so others could see one in person. It generated quite a bit of interest including with a new member who has a beautiful Arctic Grey 911 Turbo S. He came over and said that he also has a Taycan Turbo S and he likes driving it so much that he has to find excuses to drive the 911 to ensure that the battery remains charged. That summarizes the driving enjoyment potential of these Taycans.

The BMW M5 is my kind of sedan having had an M3 and 540i 6-speed in the ‘90s, and I almost bought an M5 in 2004 but didn’t like the “single-clutch” transmission used at that time. But now, after experiencing the Taycan, I would not be looking for a future ICE high-performance sedan. I hope this helps and that you’ll have an opportunity to drive a Taycan and BMW M-variant (if not the M5) before you decide. All the best.
3rd day of taycan ownership, i drove down a local twisty in this giant wagon at a similar pace to my spyder albeit it's 2000lbs heavier & running all season tires, with more comfort too. There's a couple section with really lousy pavement where i have to slow down in my sports car that I can now run over in taycan at 45mph while the seat massaging my back.
The following 2 users liked this post by Yc911Kid:
AtTheGlen (08-09-2023), Der-Schwabe (08-09-2023)

Quick Reply: Considering a used Taycan Turbo or M5