Sponsored by:

Considering a used Taycan Turbo or M5

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 09:03 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Considering a used Taycan Turbo or M5

Ive been thinking of adding either a F90 M5 Comp or a Taycan Turbo. I currently own a 997 4S and E90 M3 but as ive hit 53, im starting to value something a little more luxurious and smoother riding but without giving up much in terms of handling/performance. Ive been following several threads and have come to realize the Taycan isn't the ideal electric car and if you can lower your expectations about where to charge it and dont plan on long trips it might a great car for daily commuting/weekend drives, as im willing to put in a 240VAC 50A outlet and just go off of that.

I am leaning to the Taycan but am trying to understand the long term concerns and possible issues given they are being turned in readily. I do my own DIY on my 911and M3, but although im an electrical engineer, the Taycan seems to be a difficult car to electrically diagnose when issues arise, right or wrong as there are no aftermarket service tools? Also I was curious if any of you have went from a m5 to a Taycan or vice versa and what your impressions are?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 07-18-2023, 07:38 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Went from an F90 M5 to a Taycan RWD, don't miss the power and the handling wasn't nearly as good.
I track a GT4 when I want sound and fury.
In seven months I've had a pinched wiring harness that caused the TPMS system to fault, and found the windshield needs to be cleaned occasionally for the camera to reliably recognize traffic signs.
A cloned PIWIS laptop can be used for DIY.
The following users liked this post:
spdracerut (08-07-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 08:56 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 115 Posts

I would go Taycan personally. The new BMWs do absolutely nothing for me. You have one of the last great BMWs. I also would not worry about range in the turbo I think it is very overblown. Being a completely new to electric vehicles I road tripped my Taycan home over 700 miles in one day. Went off without a problem. You will want to install a level two chargers in your garage though. As it's very nice to wake up to almost a fully charged car everyday. As far as service I would leave that up to the dealer. I also diy a lot of my cars but I'm not touching this thing to much personal risk in my eyes. Would recommend a CPO car if you go used. Worst case you don't gel with the car it will be easier to sell.
Old 07-19-2023, 10:55 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,886 Posts

range doesn't matter on a daily basis since you leave your garage full every morning - so unless your daily routine exceeds 240 miles - range is a non-issue - range does matter for longer trips, but some light planning ahead of time normally makes that go well - there are plenty of existing threads on road tripping with an EV and best practices.
Old 07-19-2023, 02:38 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 421 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
range doesn't matter on a daily basis since you leave your garage full every morning - so unless your daily routine exceeds 240 miles - range is a non-issue - range does matter for longer trips, but some light planning ahead of time normally makes that go well - there are plenty of existing threads on road tripping with an EV and best practices.

I'm not sure if it was here or somewhere on-line that I read this, but most people with an EV getting ready for a longer journey shouldn't worry about 'Range Anxiety', rather the correct thing to be worried about is 'Charger Anxiety'. I thought it pretty profound tbh.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 02:43 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,726 Likes on 5,123 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
I'm not sure if it was here or somewhere on-line that I read this, but most people with an EV getting ready for a longer journey shouldn't worry about 'Range Anxiety', rather the correct thing to be worried about is 'Charger Anxiety'. I thought it pretty profound tbh.
But those are essentially two sides of the same coin, no?

That's sort of like saying. I don't have a weight problem. I have a "eat too much donuts" problem

The only reason one has range anxiety is because of EV charger availability, and perhaps more importantly, operability.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 07-19-2023 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-19-2023, 03:33 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thebishman
correct - but a little planning and checking you can easily figure out chargers that are working or not and adjust your charging stops to make it all work

2 fast charging stops/day is 750 miles driving - so it's not much to plan -o and then stay at hotel w/EV charging (or near by) - I took a 2,500 mile trip across 10 days last October - 13 fast charging stops - no issues - just making sure the one or two fast charging stops I needed each day was well reviewed in plugshare.

if/when supercharger network opens up for CCS1 vehicle's - then it will be even less planning…

but that's only for road trips - the other 340 days a year range doesn't matter if you charge overnight in your garage - car is full every morning.
The following 3 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AtTheGlen (07-19-2023), flygdchman (07-19-2023), thebishman (07-20-2023)

Trending Topics

Old 07-19-2023, 04:19 PM
theharley
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok

ok
Old 07-19-2023, 09:24 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 91 Posts
Default From Big-Block ICEs to Taycan GTS - never looked back!

I went from muscle cars and Corvettes in the ‘70s to assorted AMGs and a DB11 in the ‘00s and into the late teens but always with one of the two cars in the garage being a Porsche (usually 911s but also a Boxster and a Cayenne instead). I took delivery of a Taycan GTS in early April and have told friends that I can’t see owning an ICE sedan or SUV again - even though my wife and I loved our ‘19 Cayenne e-hybrid that made way for the Taycan. Off-peak electricity where I live in SoCal is $0.21 off-peak on a plan for EV and hybrid owners, and since gas is expensive here, economy is a factor (equivalent range seems to cost about half compared to what premium gas cost), but the real impact has been in performance.

I’m not ready to give up an ICE sports car like our 911 Turbo S or the incoming GT3 quite yet, but I am blown away by the Taycan’s performance. Its 0-60 time at 3.5 sec is slower than the 911 Turbo S, but it feels faster, probably because I feel all the torque from 0 mph whereas on the 911, I have to get into the power bad to get pressed back into the seat. The 911 under acceleration is very exciting but so is the Taycan in its own way - it’s like whoooossshhhhh and I’m gone without all the excitement (drama?) of a high-revving engine and lightning-fast shifts of the 911 on acceleration. The Taycan GTS is a total sleeper!

Also important is the handling. The GTS is said to have special suspension tuning and I am amazed how well this car handles, and it is nearly 1,400 pounds heavier than the 911. I like the GTS-specific trim bits inside and outside, too. From a standing start, the Taycan GTS has all the power I need. I suspect where one might feel faster acceleration in the Taycan Turbo and Turbo S is in the mid-range, e.g., 40 to 60 mph going uphill.

At our monthly PCA/Orange Coast Region breakfast and business meeting earlier this month, I drove my Taycan GTS so others could see one in person. It generated quite a bit of interest including with a new member who has a beautiful Arctic Grey 911 Turbo S. He came over and said that he also has a Taycan Turbo S and he likes driving it so much that he has to find excuses to drive the 911 to ensure that the battery remains charged. That summarizes the driving enjoyment potential of these Taycans.

The BMW M5 is my kind of sedan having had an M3 and 540i 6-speed in the ‘90s, and I almost bought an M5 in 2004 but didn’t like the “single-clutch” transmission used at that time. But now, after experiencing the Taycan, I would not be looking for a future ICE high-performance sedan. I hope this helps and that you’ll have an opportunity to drive a Taycan and BMW M-variant (if not the M5) before you decide. All the best.
The following 2 users liked this post by AtTheGlen:
Der-Schwabe (07-20-2023), thebishman (07-20-2023)
Old 07-20-2023, 12:37 AM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks all for your comments, its great insight as to ownership. I got a chance to drive the M5 in the morning and a Taycan 4S in the evening to keep things fresh. I was shocked at the Taycans driving dynamics as it drives like a smaller car. I could definitely feel a lot of what I experience with my 911 in the Taycan which is what im after in term of feedback, steering input, turn in and overall dynamics. Although the Taycan is heaver than the M5, it does a much better job of controlling the weight dynamically. The M5 just drive like a big car and didn't quite control its weight during cornering the way the Taycan did. Engine wise, I did notice the 4S actually had a similar torque profile as the M5 at low speeds but I never opened up the M5 beyond 3k rpms so have a feeling it may have pulled harder at the higher speeds. I think ive made my decision without any regrets and start the hunt for a used Turbo.
The following 3 users liked this post by aaks38:
AlexCeres (07-28-2023), AtTheGlen (07-20-2023), Der-Schwabe (07-20-2023)
Old 07-20-2023, 09:23 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 115 Posts

Good time to look for one too. Congrats I'm sure you will really enjoy your turbo when you find it.
Old 07-20-2023, 09:58 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AtTheGlen
I went from muscle cars and Corvettes in the ‘70s to assorted AMGs and a DB11 in the ‘00s and into the late teens but always with one of the two cars in the garage being a Porsche (usually 911s but also a Boxster and a Cayenne instead). I took delivery of a Taycan GTS in early April and have told friends that I can’t see owning an ICE sedan or SUV again - even though my wife and I loved our ‘19 Cayenne e-hybrid that made way for the Taycan. Off-peak electricity where I live in SoCal is $0.21 off-peak on a plan for EV and hybrid owners, and since gas is expensive here, economy is a factor (equivalent range seems to cost about half compared to what premium gas cost), but the real impact has been in performance.

I’m not ready to give up an ICE sports car like our 911 Turbo S or the incoming GT3 quite yet, but I am blown away by the Taycan’s performance. Its 0-60 time at 3.5 sec is slower than the 911 Turbo S, but it feels faster, probably because I feel all the torque from 0 mph whereas on the 911, I have to get into the power bad to get pressed back into the seat. The 911 under acceleration is very exciting but so is the Taycan in its own way - it’s like whoooossshhhhh and I’m gone without all the excitement (drama?) of a high-revving engine and lightning-fast shifts of the 911 on acceleration. The Taycan GTS is a total sleeper!

Also important is the handling. The GTS is said to have special suspension tuning and I am amazed how well this car handles, and it is nearly 1,400 pounds heavier than the 911. I like the GTS-specific trim bits inside and outside, too. From a standing start, the Taycan GTS has all the power I need. I suspect where one might feel faster acceleration in the Taycan Turbo and Turbo S is in the mid-range, e.g., 40 to 60 mph going uphill.

At our monthly PCA/Orange Coast Region breakfast and business meeting earlier this month, I drove my Taycan GTS so others could see one in person. It generated quite a bit of interest including with a new member who has a beautiful Arctic Grey 911 Turbo S. He came over and said that he also has a Taycan Turbo S and he likes driving it so much that he has to find excuses to drive the 911 to ensure that the battery remains charged. That summarizes the driving enjoyment potential of these Taycans.

The BMW M5 is my kind of sedan having had an M3 and 540i 6-speed in the ‘90s, and I almost bought an M5 in 2004 but didn’t like the “single-clutch” transmission used at that time. But now, after experiencing the Taycan, I would not be looking for a future ICE high-performance sedan. I hope this helps and that you’ll have an opportunity to drive a Taycan and BMW M-variant (if not the M5) before you decide. All the best.
good EV drive trains ruins you for ICE vehicle's - after having instant torque, low center of gravity, and ample HP "on tap" - it's just hard to drive 99% of gas cars that dominate sales - an EV is normally a better car vs. what most people end up being forced to drive - leaving only the exotic and very expensive gasoline cars left as "acceptable" alternatives, but even those lag.

My Taycan Turbo is more effectively faster than both my 2021 Cayenne eHybird turboS and my 911 TurboS even thought both of those on paper are "quicker" than the Taycan on paper - but the Taycan's accelerator never lets me down -and both the Cayenne and the 911 often times are not at peak power when I want them to be.

give me a good EV drive train for the street and a GT3-class car for the track and call it done.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AlexCeres (07-28-2023), AtTheGlen (07-21-2023)
Old 07-20-2023, 11:20 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

seems on topic…

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/hors...151000169.html
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AlexCeres (07-28-2023), Zcd1 (07-21-2023)
Old 07-21-2023, 12:00 AM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 91 Posts
Default The Taycan EV is Addictive!

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
good EV drive trains ruins you for ICE vehicle's - after having instant torque, low center of gravity, and ample HP "on tap" - it's just hard to drive 99% of gas cars that dominate sales - an EV is normally a better car vs. what most people end up being forced to drive - leaving only the exotic and very expensive gasoline cars left as "acceptable" alternatives, but even those lag.

My Taycan Turbo is more effectively faster than both my 2021 Cayenne eHybird turboS and my 911 TurboS even thought both of those on paper are "quicker" than the Taycan on paper - but the Taycan's accelerator never lets me down -and both the Cayenne and the 911 often times are not at peak power when I want them to be.

give me a good EV drive train for the street and a GT3-class car for the track and call it done.
So well said! I am amazed at the pace of design, development and production of several interesting EVs. As noted in my previous post, I can’t imagine going back to an ICE sedan or SUV, although based on my experience with our ‘19 Cayenne e-hybrid, which my wife and I really enjoyed owning and driving, the new Cayenne e-hybrids with a significantly improved range are a good option for those for whom an EV is not yet possible for their driving habits.

As much as I love our ‘21 911 Turbo S (992), when I’m driving our Taycan GTS, I’m not thinking: “Boy, I’d rather be in the 911.” - the driving experience is that engaging! There is an intersection close to my home where I’m often wanting to catch the green arrow for a left turn. The corner is downhill, tighter than 90 degrees and it might be slightly off camber for drainage. Even though the Taycan is about 1,400 pounds heavier than the 911, it takes the corner at speed amazingly well. If I’m in Normal, I twist the dial to Sport to get braking (regen) from the motors and to bring in Sport suspension. I might press the button to go to Sport+ on the suspension, as well. (I have PDCC-Sport and RWS.) And, yes, I’m grinning all the way around the corner. I took delivery of our ‘23 Taycan at the L.A. PEC. It was an amazing experience and sadly, Porsche recently significantly raised the price of PEC delivery. We did lead/follow in a pair of Taycan Turbo Ss as they did not have a GTS in the fleet. The car handled extremely well on the handling circuit and we were going fast. The instructor is a racer and on one section (downhill esses) he gained a couple car lengths on me and in the moment of distraction when I wondered: “How the heck is he doing that?” he was several more car lengths ahead. Kudos to race car drivers who turn lap after lap on a long circuit with lots of complex turns at nearly identical times for very long periods of time.

Oh. Did someone mention an ideal garage combination. Today, my wife’s and my MY24 GT3 Wing went into production. Now at least for the next few days, I can stop checking TYD a few times every hour!
The following 2 users liked this post by AtTheGlen:
Der-Schwabe (07-21-2023), spdracerut (08-07-2023)
Old 07-21-2023, 03:37 AM
Cherryblock
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 76 Posts

Throwing it out there, before you look at a used Taycan perhaps cross shop a new E Tron RS GT ( or standard GT) essentially a Taycan in a different suit. Audi has a 12,500 rebate expiring 7/31. If you lease you get the 7500 fed credit and dealers are discounting, I just picked up a 157K sticker RS for 127K cap cost ( used the Audi and Fed credits plus a 10K discount from the dealer.
The following 3 users liked this post by Cherryblock:
AlexCeres (07-28-2023), daveo4porsche (07-21-2023), flygdchman (07-21-2023)

Quick Reply: Considering a used Taycan Turbo or M5