Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to "downshift" for sharp curves?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 08:09 AM
rennlistfan
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How to "downshift" for sharp curves?

How do you get more control when you want to take a curve fast? From time to time the car feels like it's in a "gear too tall" for the curve and there's not much you can do since it's EV. Are you meant to hit the regen button for "engine braking" or are you meant to step on it and let the low CoG work its magic?

P.S. I wish there are paddle shifts on the steering wheel for controlling regen and regen levels like on the Mercedes EQ EVs.

Last edited by rennlistfan; 09-12-2023 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-12-2023, 08:27 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 115 Posts

Best thing you could do is keep it in sports plus
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 09:06 AM
rennlistfan
Advanced

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Best thing you could do is keep it in sports plus
Only Sport on my base.
Old 09-12-2023, 12:29 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

During a test drive was thinking the same thing about paddles, I have recuperation programmed into the steering wheel's quick access button.
Old 09-12-2023, 06:15 PM
kurand
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You maybe need to manage the longitudinal weight transfer a little differently by perhaps braking more on corner entry and then applying power earlier to shift the weight rearwards? One of the nice things about the RWD Taycan is that it rotates beautifully around the drivers seat, so feels verify satisfying to drive fast through corners (at least with PTV+ and RWS).

My RWD has Sport+. Is this part of the Sports Chrono package?
Old 09-12-2023, 07:24 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,797 Likes on 1,094 Posts

wait what?

its an EV

Floor it.

why are you down shifting? Brake into apex, rotate, FLOOR IT.

The following 5 users liked this post by Spyerx:
24Neptune (01-23-2024), AlexCeres (09-12-2023), kort677 (09-13-2023), pjazz (09-14-2023), thebishman (09-13-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 08:33 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

wot
enter
lift
wot
it’s not geared tall u need to go faster
The following 3 users liked this post by mooty:
AlexCeres (09-12-2023), mithridates (06-23-2024), Spyerx (09-12-2023)

Trending Topics

Old 09-12-2023, 10:07 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Have you considered hitting up PEC and spending 90 minutes with a car like yours and an instructor on a circuit ? They can help you push it much harder than would be safe on the street and get a better feel for the limits. Plus they’re all awesome pros and can answer any questions about manipulating the car at speed.
kort677 (09-13-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 10:26 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,797 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
Have you considered hitting up PEC and spending 90 minutes with a car like yours and an instructor on a circuit ? They can help you push it much harder than would be safe on the street and get a better feel for the limits. Plus they’re all awesome pros and can answer any questions about manipulating the car at speed.
a couple months ago I took delivery of a taycan with a buddy at PEC, we split the driving time and got some good lunch after, driven the track there a few times there prior (this is the one in LA). lets just say, the taycan turbo s is surprisingly astute, you do feel the weight, but its not hard to get it into a pretty progressive slide in corners and like I said, brake, FLOOR IT, that 4wd just pulls out of the corner. tires get greasy after a couple hard laps though, weight....

honestly has me wanting a much lower weight small agile sportscar EV, I think will be stupid fun in the twisties.
The following 3 users liked this post by Spyerx:
AlexCeres (09-13-2023), Der-Schwabe (09-13-2023), MaxLTV (09-18-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 10:34 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
I did that when I picked up my car, well worth it
Old 09-13-2023, 10:40 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,291 Posts

I've only driven my GTS and a Turbo S at PECLA. All I have to say is that there is no need "downshifting" because both the cars had huge torque at the press of the gas pedal. Having driven so many Porsches over the years I've NEVER experienced the kind of torque that these Taycan produce. From stop to full speed it pulls like a rocket ship compared to all the other Porsche cars that I've owned, the torque is pretty addicting and spoils me when I get back into a non-EV car.
Old 09-13-2023, 11:20 AM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by rennlistfan
How do you get more control when you want to take a curve fast? ...
Have you considered slowing down at entry to curve? Anyways, what's your hurry? Just asking.

Old 09-13-2023, 02:28 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 91 Posts
Default "Downshifting" Into Sport and Sport+

When approaching a corner at speed in Normal, I twist the dial to Sport or occasionally Sport+ to get regen braking and to stiffen the suspension one or two clicks. (I have RAS and PDCC-Sport.) At one intersection where I am often racing to catch a left-turn arrow onto a busy suburban 6-lane street, I'm tucking into the near lane. The corner is greater than 90 deg and somewhat off-camber. Probably because I take the same corner in my 911 TTS at speed, I like the feel of regen braking as I set up for the corner and brake as late as possible. This corner is less than a half-mile from a police station so I do stop short of four-wheel drifts to entertain the other drivers, though. The area where I live has a lot of hills and I sometimes use Sport going downhill to keep my speed somewhere close to the speed limit. I also feel I'm not riding the brakes, but maybe that is what is actually going on. I should figure that out.

I took delivery of our Taycan GTS at the L.A. PEC and drove a Turbo S on the track because they didn't have a GTS in the fleet at the time. It was a great experience. As others noted, I thought the car is surprising capable on the track. It did feel heavier than my 911 which is 1,400 pounds less, but it was stable and fast. In fact, we got the go-around wave by a few times. I could almost hear tire rubber exiting the tires on some of the tightest turns on the track as you could pick up a bit of drift. All OK, though. BTW as much as I've enjoyed the thrust from a stop, when punching the accelerator at about 45 or 50 mph, I am amazed by the response.
Old 09-14-2023, 01:39 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,726 Likes on 5,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
a couple months ago I took delivery of a taycan with a buddy at PEC, we split the driving time and got some good lunch after, driven the track there a few times there prior (this is the one in LA). lets just say, the taycan turbo s is surprisingly astute, you do feel the weight, but its not hard to get it into a pretty progressive slide in corners and like I said, brake, FLOOR IT, that 4wd just pulls out of the corner. tires get greasy after a couple hard laps though, weight....

honestly has me wanting a much lower weight small agile sportscar EV, I think will be stupid fun in the twisties.
If your local track has EV charging stations, then the only downside to tracking a Taycan are the consumables -- tires and pads.

Expensive for sure, but uber fun.
Der-Schwabe (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 10:39 AM
rennlistfan
Advanced

Originally Posted by d00d
During a test drive was thinking the same thing about paddles, I have recuperation programmed into the steering wheel's quick access button.
Why do you need to program the quick access button when the recuperation button is already on the steering wheel?

Quick Reply: How to "downshift" for sharp curves?