Sponsored by:

Energy Efficiency CT4s vs Tesla Model S

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 06:11 AM
PickledRamps
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Energy Efficiency CT4s vs Tesla Model S

Hello. I am new to this forum, and potentially new to Porsche, although a lifetime admirer.

I have had a Models S for three years. I am a "sport-sedan" person who like the convenience of a hatchback. Model S was the only option back then. I have a deposit in a CT4S, with 21" wheels.

I do understand the criticism of Tesla, but the energy efficiency and charging network have made the transition to EV extremely compelling. I live in the Northeast (Boston) While the winters are cold, the charging network is good. There is never range anxiety; I don't even really think about charging challenges when leaving for weekend getaways.

Over 60,000mi I use about 300Wh/mi on 19" wheels. About 20% more than that in the winter, maybe 10% less in ideal weather.

I have seen many range tests that indicate the difference between the two is far less than advertised. Can anyone, especially in similar climates, give me a sense of your experience with energy efficiency? (CT4s has 21" wheels; highway driving in the 80mph range). And level 3 charger reliability on roadtrips? Electrify America doesn't seem great. Charging outside the home, in general, doesn't seem great. Is that fair? This is Tesla's biggest advantage, IMO.

Thank you,
Ramy
Old 01-20-2023, 01:37 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,797 Likes on 1,094 Posts

The Porsches are less efficient than teslas. This, aside from their charging network, is probably their best trait - the strength and efficiency of their drive train systems. The EA network is pretty spotty right now, you'll likely be disappointed compared to the Tesla experience.

My CT4 with the big/wide 21" wheels, over 8k miles, 2.7mi/kwh. The base sedans with the skinnier tires are a bit more efficient. Total range on a road trip in mild weather and not flying at 90 I'll get closer to 3.0mi/kwh. Which puts range on the CT4 at about 250 miles. The base sedan can get closer to 300 from various tests. Porsche is quite conservative with their efficiency numbers.

I'm on SoCal too, which is a more mild climate obviously.

That said, I'd still buy this CT4 every day of the week over the Model S or X. Its is a GREAT drive.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:31 PM
gtm
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

We seem to be in a similar situation. I have a 2020 S Performance. Lifetime efficiency is 269 Wh/mile so I'm used to a pretty efficient car. The Taycan GTS (coming off the boat tomorrow, so I'm committed) is a bit of a crap shoot. The Taycan doesn't seem to be as efficiency. I drive back and forth between Florida and NJ fairly often so the ability to road trip is important. The Taycan range is considerably less than the Model S, but probably exceeds my needs for a bio break. So Range? Sufficient. The real question for me is charging. EA gets horrible reviews for connectivity, reliability, location,... , but upset people post about 10 to 1 versus satisfied. The real story? Who knows. What I'm planning on doing, which may not be possible for you, is to keep the Tesla until after I have had a chance to do a couple of decent road trips with the Porsche (without my wife, who will not react well to spending a half hour with customer service just to get EA to start a charging session). If the CCS network doesn't work yet for road trips the Taycan goes. I'll lose money, but probably less than than the depreciation on the Tesla. Really do love the Tesla, it's just time to try something different and the Taycan really is a more involving drive. These are wonderful problems to worry about.

FYI - On a 50 mile test drive in 80 degree weather with a 4S I averaged 325 Wh/m. Right around 260 miles on a full charge. 200 miles usable since you won't charge to 100% or drive down to zero. This was on a car with 150 miles so not broken in mechanically and the regeneration (recuperation) wasn't fully active yet. Range from an 85% charge should be plenty assuming a charger is where you need it to be.

Last edited by gtm; 01-20-2023 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-21-2023, 12:18 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,886 Posts

if long distance driving w/reliable fast charging network is a requirement/priority for you - keep your Tesla - NO CCS vehicle in north america can meet that criteria - Tesla wins in spades in this space - on multiple fronts - and decisively…my wife after two road trips with the Taycan refused to take it with me on long trips, she had no complaints with our 6 Tesla's since 2013…
  • more chargers
  • more stalls
  • stalls that actually work
  • reliable starting of a session
  • speed of the chargers
  • lack of congestion (normally)
if efficiency and fast charging is your thing NO ONE beats Tesla right now (lucid loses on reliable charging cause they are CCS based also)

if you want a car that is well built and handles great, and has brakes that actually work - well then Tesla is not a good choice.

but anyone focusing on efficiency and reliable/available/functional fast charging is going to be disappointed by any CCS vehicle at this time in North America.

the CCS network in North America is a sh*t show right now - limited stalls, complex session activation, flaky activation, slow charging speeds, out of commission stalls, and unclear real time status making route planning difficult/impossible - it's really really awful - and will be an extreme disappointment vs. your past experience with the supercharger network - I ahvae literally taken 40 min to activate a charging session at EA in Aptos, CA to achieve a 32 kW charge rate…OMG you'll be sooooooooooooo disappointed - there is no comparison. It can work, and it works sometimes, just enough to tease you into thinking this can work, and then it simply won't - there is zero consistency and reliability varies wildly- but compared to the supercharger network you will encounter the entire range of possibilities, with a heavy bias/skew towards barely working/function.

Yesterday Jan. 19th, 2023 - Marina California, 4 125 kW stalls in the REI parking lot (look it up), Chargepoint, 3 of 4 stalls refused to start a session w/Taycan - 4th stall worked, 68 kW charge rate - took me 18 minutes because each stall would take 3-4 min of "starting sessoin" before failing, and then I would have to move the car to the near by stall…called Chargepoint - chargers have been known defective for 4-6 months - yeah they know only one charger works…no ETA on a fix.

Oct. 2022 - 2,500 mile road trip w/Taycan - Santa Cruz -> Portland -> Walla Walla -> Seattle -> Newport -> Santa Cruz - 13 fast charging stops - 12 of 13 stops had dysfunctional chargers, moving stalls to find functional chargers, out of commission chargers, reduced charging rates (sometimes less than 50 kW), multiple activation failures requiring lengthy customer support phone calls to reboot stations or activate the charging session (10-15 min on hold w/customer support) - delay is a _GIVEN_ - I was never stranded, but out of 13 required stops only one stop "worked" as intended (Astoria's fast charging stop was GLORIOUS, easier faster and nearly equal to Tesla Supercharger - was a text book stop and nearly flawless) - the other 12 stops - well let's just say I was lucky to have any of them work…But I love driving the Taycan - much better road car than any of my Tesla's - but charging experience is sh*t.

However when a 350 kW EA station does work (rare outcome) it's the best thing since sliced bread and charges my Taycan from x% to 85-90% faster than I EVER experience at a Tesla supercharger (remember I've driven tesla's and road tripped them since 2013) - when it works (rarely) it's faster and better than superchargers - but it doesn't work that often or that consistently - Astoria in Oct. 2022 was text book awesome - 6% to 92% in 28 minutes - way way way faster that I EVER experienced since 2013 with ANY of my Tesla's.

how do I know?

i've owned 6 Teslas since 2013, and currently drive a 2020 Taycan Turbo w/29,000 miles on it and actual road trips

Tesla's better as a functional EV but worse as a car…

my Taycan Turbo 2020 is reliably 210 miles landing with 10% or less battery after driving 200'ish miles…

if range and reliable/functional fast charging is your thing - Taycan isn't your car - or any other CCS vehicle for that matter - you purchase a nonTesla to escape Elon world, and value other aspects of vehicle ownership - but range and fast charging isn't what you're valuing if you're leaving Tesla for something else.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 01-21-2023 at 12:42 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AlexCeres (01-21-2023), bamabenz (01-21-2023), benster (02-03-2023), Dr. G7 (01-21-2023), Drifting (01-28-2023), flygdchman (01-22-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-21-2023, 12:58 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

the CCS network has NEVER stranded me - but it only rarely charges my Taycan with out a fight - and the normal SOP is delay dealing with flaky activation or out of order charging stalls - it's a vastly difference experience that I ever had w/Supercharger - but the CCS network has never stranded me - but it's come oh so close so many times…and it's always a fight to get the electrons flowing…and takes time before they get off the couch from watching TV and decide to flow into the battery.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Dr. G7 (01-21-2023), flygdchman (01-22-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 01:22 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I love the Taycan vs. any of my Tesla's when I'm not road tripping it - I tolerate the road trip issues because it's better than the Tesla's the other 48 weeks of the year when I'm not driving for distance.
The following 6 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AlexCeres (01-21-2023), Der-Schwabe (01-21-2023), Dr. G7 (01-21-2023), freqflyer (02-02-2023), PierreTT (01-21-2023), wutographydc (01-29-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-21-2023, 09:26 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

I have a 2023 Taycan RWD with standard battery, air suspension, and 21" Mission E wheels with all seasons.
My travel is 191 miles between charger equipped homes twice a week, every other week one of the legs is 211 miles.
Before brake recuperation kicked in I got 344.8Wh/mile (2.9miles/kWh) over each 191 mile trip.
Afterward I took one 211 mile trip and got 322.6Wh/mile (3.1miles/kWh).
Temperatures have been between 28 and 46F in snow, freezing rain, rain, and infrequently dry conditions.
I'm going the speed limit on highways if it's 60 to 70, 5 over if it's 55, and using Range mode without lift off recuperation.

Your CT4 will be less efficient aerodynamically than the RWD sedan, but better on regeneration.
I haven't traveled much in freezing temperatures yet, but the Taycan could compare favorably with your MS 360Wh/mile winter numbers.

Last edited by d00d; 01-21-2023 at 12:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by d00d:
Der-Schwabe (01-21-2023), wutographydc (01-29-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 09:21 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by gtm
EA gets horrible reviews for connectivity, reliability, location,... , but upset people post about 10 to 1 versus satisfied. The real story? Who knows.
True, people complain but rarely compliment.

However, I have never seen a long term EA user complimenting EA.
The following users liked this post:
Drifting (01-28-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 09:23 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
I love the Taycan vs. any of my Tesla's when I'm not road tripping it .
Yes, the caveat: stay 100 miles from home.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:25 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

if long distance driving w/reliable fast charging network is a requirement/priority for you - keep your Tesla
Amen.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:32 PM
gtm
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G7

And there you have gotten to the root of my trepidation road tripping with a Taycan. Overwhelmingly negative comments. The best you hear is "I was never stranded". Doesn't exactly give you a warm fuzzy feeling for EA.
The following 3 users liked this post by gtm:
Dr. G7 (01-21-2023), Scoutiipippen (02-05-2023), wutographydc (01-29-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 09:38 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

EA is an unmitigated sh*t show - there is absolutely no consistency - I can handle it if it NEVER worked - cause I would avoid it - if it always works you can also plan around that - but EA is neither of those things - it might work, often doesn't work, but works just enough to sucker you in only to then disappoint you when you can not activate a charging session.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. G7 (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 09:45 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

EA is an unmitigated sh*t show - there is absolutely no consistency - I can handle it if it NEVER worked - cause I would avoid it - if it always works you can also plan around that - but EA is neither of those things - it might work, often doesn't work, but works just enough to sucker you in only to then disappoint you when you can not activate a charging session.
Also unlike other charger companies, EA is government funded. Yours and my money.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:58 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Also unlike other charger companies, EA is government funded. Yours and my money.
I'm not sure this is accurate - you have source of this inforamitn - EA was founded as part of the consent decree from the VW diesel gate stuff - it funded and owned at arm's length by the VW group…but it's terribly run and is currently in violation of the consent decree because surprisingly there are performance requirements for the network's operational effectiveness that they are woefully failing at.
The following 3 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AlexCeres (01-21-2023), flygdchman (01-22-2023), thebishman (01-22-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 11:12 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I’m getting solidly 10% more range than EPA rating for a 2022 taycan turbo s. About 220 miles a charge. I do stay within 150mi from home with it. I either go to the best marquee EA sites or charge overnight at my destination
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
daveo4porsche (01-21-2023), Der-Schwabe (01-22-2023)

Quick Reply: Energy Efficiency CT4s vs Tesla Model S