Sponsored by:

Energy Efficiency CT4s vs Tesla Model S

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 08:37 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,733 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by PickledRamps
Hello. I am new to this forum, and potentially new to Porsche, although a lifetime admirer.

I have had a Models S for three years. I am a "sport-sedan" person who like the convenience of a hatchback. Model S was the only option back then. I have a deposit in a CT4S, with 21" wheels.

I do understand the criticism of Tesla, but the energy efficiency and charging network have made the transition to EV extremely compelling. I live in the Northeast (Boston) While the winters are cold, the charging network is good. There is never range anxiety; I don't even really think about charging challenges when leaving for weekend getaways.

Over 60,000mi I use about 300Wh/mi on 19" wheels. About 20% more than that in the winter, maybe 10% less in ideal weather.

I have seen many range tests that indicate the difference between the two is far less than advertised. Can anyone, especially in similar climates, give me a sense of your experience with energy efficiency? (CT4s has 21" wheels; highway driving in the 80mph range). And level 3 charger reliability on roadtrips? Electrify America doesn't seem great. Charging outside the home, in general, doesn't seem great. Is that fair? This is Tesla's biggest advantage, IMO.

Thank you,
Ramy
OP logged in once - and never came back.
The following users liked this post:
earl pottinger (01-27-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 02:38 PM
earl pottinger
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Single post

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
In other words, someone who's words can not be trusted.

Earl Colby Pottinger (BEV lover)
Old 01-28-2023, 06:38 AM
PickledRamps
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is OP Orginal poster? I monitor all the time. And why does this matter?
Old 01-28-2023, 10:55 AM
earl pottinger
Racer

Default Because

Is OP Orginal poster? I monitor all the time. And why does this matter?
This is how people who troll a forum to try and cause conflict usually act.

Also you have not followed up with any further details that would have us believe you are even interested in answers, it looks like someone just trying to have fun of others.

Earl Colby Pottinger (BEV Lover)
Old 01-28-2023, 12:14 PM
PickledRamps
Track Day

Originally Posted by earl pottinger
This is how people who troll a forum to try and cause conflict usually act.

Also you have not followed up with any further details that would have us believe you are even interested in answers, it looks like someone just trying to have fun of others.

This is why I so rarely engage in any form of "social media" or internet conversation. The tone and conspiracy theory drives me crazy.

Not sure how the question is causing "conflict". As I said I have a deposit on an incoming Taycan Cross Turismo. Do you need to see a receipt?

Honestly, between the efficiency and charging issues, and now the accusations for simply asking a question about the apparently infallible Porsche brand, perhaps it is not for me.

I really don't care about Tesla, nor Porsche, nor am I so obsessed by any brand that I wouldn't happily switch to whatever works best. There is no perfect product.

Last edited by PickledRamps; 01-28-2023 at 12:26 PM.
wutographydc (01-29-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 12:29 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

This is why I so rarely engage in any form of "social media" or internet conversation. The tone and conspiracy theory drives me crazy.

Not sure how the question is causing "conflict". As I said I have a deposit on an incoming Taycan Cross Turismo. Do you need to see a receipt?

Honestly, between the efficiency and charging issues, and now the accusations for simply asking a question about the apparently infallible Porsche brand, perhaps it is not for me.

I really don't care about Tesla, nor Porsche, nor am I so obsessed by any brand that I wouldn't happily switch to whatever works best. There is no perfect product.
so far 100% on brand for our original assessment
Old 01-28-2023, 12:34 PM
PickledRamps
Track Day

so far 100% on brand for our original assessment
really? would every post serve to solidify your opinion regardless of how irrelevant?
Old 01-28-2023, 01:09 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

really? would every post serve to solidify your opinion regardless of how irrelevant?
keep digging.
Old 01-28-2023, 02:32 PM
earl pottinger
Racer

Default Question

Not sure how the question is causing "conflict".
It is not the asking of the question, it is the lack of follow-up suggests the question was just asked to cause conflict rather than a dialog.

Old 01-28-2023, 06:08 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Hello. I am new to this forum, and potentially new to Porsche, although a lifetime admirer.

I have had a Models S for three years. I am a "sport-sedan" person who like the convenience of a hatchback. Model S was the only option back then. I have a deposit in a CT4S, with 21" wheels.

I do understand the criticism of Tesla, but the energy efficiency and charging network have made the transition to EV extremely compelling. I live in the Northeast (Boston) While the winters are cold, the charging network is good. There is never range anxiety; I don't even really think about charging challenges when leaving for weekend getaways.

Over 60,000mi I use about 300Wh/mi on 19" wheels. About 20% more than that in the winter, maybe 10% less in ideal weather.

I have seen many range tests that indicate the difference between the two is far less than advertised. Can anyone, especially in similar climates, give me a sense of your experience with energy efficiency? (CT4s has 21" wheels; highway driving in the 80mph range). And level 3 charger reliability on roadtrips? Electrify America doesn't seem great. Charging outside the home, in general, doesn't seem great. Is that fair? This is Tesla's biggest advantage, IMO.

Thank you,
Ramy
here is chatgpt's response to your query

Welcome to the forum, Ramy! It's great to have a Porsche admirer and a Tesla owner join us.

I can understand your concern about the energy efficiency of the CT4S with 21" wheels, especially compared to your Model S. While the range tests may indicate that the difference is not as significant as advertised, it ultimately comes down to your own driving style and usage. However, I can tell you that generally speaking, larger wheels do tend to have an impact on energy efficiency.

In terms of charging network and reliability, it's true that Tesla has a significant advantage in this area. However, Electrify America is continually expanding and improving its charging network, so it's worth keeping an eye on their progress. Additionally, there are other third-party charging networks available such as ChargePoint, Blink, and EVgo that you can use as well.

In terms of level 3 charger reliability on road trips, it's worth doing some research and planning ahead to ensure that you have access to reliable charging options along your route. Many EV owners also recommend having a backup plan in case of unexpected charging issues.

Overall, it's important to weigh the pros and cons of each vehicle and determine which one best suits your needs and preferences. If you have any specific questions about the CT4S or Porsche ownership in general, feel free to ask!

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 01-28-2023 at 09:07 PM.
PierreTT (01-29-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 11:31 AM
freqflyer
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Isn't Tesla opening up the charging network to competitors? Or is that only Europe?
Old 02-02-2023, 02:47 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 305 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by freqflyer
Isn't Tesla opening up the charging network to competitors? Or is that only Europe?
That would be the death knell for Tesla. I’m sure they know it. Dodgy cars; their superlative supercharger network is their greatest selling point. IMHO.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:44 PM
earl pottinger
Racer

Default ??????

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
That would be the death knell for Tesla. I’m sure they know it. Dodgy cars; their superlative supercharger network is their greatest selling point. IMHO.
Are you letting your emotions about Elon colour your opinions.

If the cars were so bad, they would not be selling. The other EVs are already out there and people still buy Tesla cars.

As for openning the charger network, did you have the strange idea that charging would be free for non-Tesla cars?

No, the money coming in from people who want a charger that that works when they arrive at one they never being to before, ensures Tesla is going to make tons of money from it's chargers.

Think razor blades. It does not matter if you make the razor or not, as long as you can sell blades for the life of the customer.

The following 2 users liked this post by earl pottinger:
thebishman (02-03-2023), whiz944 (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 01:29 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 402 Likes on 237 Posts

Besides the cash Musk can make charging high rates for a reliable charge (and who in their right mind wouldn’t gladly pay it?), he can gain access to probably hundreds of millions of $’s from the Feds IRA program from opening up the S/C network to non-Teslas.

Frankly I’m surprised he hasn’t done so already.
earl pottinger (02-04-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 05:26 AM
PickledRamps
Track Day

here is chatgpt's response to your query
I recall reading somewhere that Porsche either has an app or is developing an app that allows one to activate charge at the various networks outside of EA and then somehow consolidates the billing. Is that true?

Quick Reply: Energy Efficiency CT4s vs Tesla Model S