Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard White vs Metallic White

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2022 | 03:58 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Default Standard White vs Metallic White

My freeze date for GTS is approaching. Anyone have the standard white color and love it? How’s it holding up? I was playing around with the colors yesterday on a large screen and keep coming back to the standard white, it just looks so “clean” looking and seems to show off those beautiful lines. Anyone wish they went with the metallic white instead? Lastly, was the mission E concept car metallic white or the standard flat white?
PS - I’m at standard white with chalk Interior at moment -

Last edited by Redhot2474; 08-10-2022 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-10-2022 | 06:46 PM
j.w.s
Intermediate

Colors are of course highly subjective, but here's a story:

Looking at the color samples at a dealership, I strongly preferred the standard white to the Carrara white metallic. The standard looked warmer, in a good way, and I didn't miss the metallic at all.
But then I saw two cars, side by side, one in each color, and I changed my mind. In person, the tiny bit of yellow in the standard white made the car look dull and a bit old-fashioned, while the Carrara white looked nice and crisp, and not "cold" at all.

I very highly recommend finding some way, any way, to see both colors in person, in outdoor lighting, with your own eyes before making a decision. And - need it be said? - the monitor is the worst possible way to make a color choice, if subtle differences matter to you... and they do since you are agonizing over a choice between white and white!

Last edited by j.w.s; 08-12-2022 at 11:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by j.w.s:
Redhot2474 (08-10-2022), Victory911 (02-11-2024)
Old 08-10-2022 | 09:22 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Originally Posted by j.w.s

Looking at the color samples at a dealership, I strongly preferred the standard white to the Carrera white metallic. The standard looked warmer, in a good way, and I didn't miss the metallic at all.
But then I saw two cars, side by side, one in each color, and I changed my mind. In person, the tiny bit of yellow in the standard white made the car look dull and a bit old-fashioned, while the Carrera white looked nice and crisp, and not "cold" at all.

I very highly recommend finding some way, any way, to see both colors in person, in outdoor lighting, with your own eyes before making a decision. And - need it be said? - the monitor is the worst possible way to make a color choice, if subtle differences matter to you... and they do since you are agonizing over a choice between white and white!
thanks for input
Old 08-10-2022 | 10:14 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Looking at the color samples at a dealership, I strongly preferred the standard white to the Carrera white metallic. The standard looked warmer, in a good way, and I didn't miss the metallic at all.
But then I saw two cars, side by side, one in each color, and I changed my mind. In person, the tiny bit of yellow in the standard white made the car look dull and a bit old-fashioned, while the Carrera white looked nice and crisp, and not "cold" at all.

dang! I was so confident at the dealership when I looked at samples. In doing a bit more research it does look more creamy/yellow - not sure I’m diggin’ that!
Old 08-11-2022 | 09:11 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Very happy with standard white on Taycan and C-GTS. Love the clean look and cannot justify the extra $ for metallic white. If I'm going to spend for a color it will be colorful option or PTS. (I have a Miami Blue 911)

Old 08-11-2022 | 09:50 AM
Redhot2474
Racer

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Very happy with standard white on Taycan and C-GTS. Love the clean look and cannot justify the extra $ for metallic white. If I'm going to spend for a color it will be colorful option or PTS. (I have a Miami Blue 911)

seems fair to say the flat white is more “cream yellow/white” vs metallic white is bright white ?
Old 08-11-2022 | 10:00 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Redhot2474
seems fair to say the flat white is more “cream yellow/white” vs metallic white is bright white ?
No. Standard is pure white - metallic has hint of "cream".
Old 08-11-2022 | 10:30 AM
Captain Scurry
Rennlist Member

I have a metallic white Taycan, very happy with the color. Not too bright or pearly like some other manufacturers metallic white. I would get it again.
Old 08-11-2022 | 10:58 AM
Redhot2474
Racer

Originally Posted by Redhot2474
lighting makes a huge difference , Taycan looks lots brighter than bottom pic
Old 08-12-2022 | 11:02 AM
markenki
Track Day

Carrera white metallic
That should be CarrAra white metalic.
The following users liked this post:
j.w.s (08-12-2022)
Old 09-19-2022 | 11:15 AM
LDT
Burning Brakes

After a long run of black or gray cars I got chalk and like it very much.

Old 09-19-2022 | 02:39 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Both look great. If you google “porsche carrera white metallic vs white“ you will find many side-by-side comparisons. I’ve attached one of the best, below. The top vehicle is white. It has a warmer ivory hue. (I might add that the front wheel crest is misaligned). The Carrera White Metallic on the bottom has a cooler, more blue hue. (And proper wheel crest alignment!)

Also be sure to check out the comparison pictures in this thread on Rennlist:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ed-timing.html

Here are paint samples of each from the dealership. I placed them side by side in full sunlight for comparison:

Last edited by Schnave; 09-19-2022 at 03:20 PM.
Redhot2474 (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022 | 06:01 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

0Q Pure White is a non metallic neutral white, and as the name infers it has no warm or cool tone.
Pure White replaced the slightly warm B4 Carrara White on the 981 starting July 2012.
Here’s a picture showing the difference.

fluguy (11-28-2022)
Old 10-04-2022 | 04:17 PM
porsche bud
Rennlist Member

Looking at the color samples at a dealership, I strongly preferred the standard white to the Carrara white metallic. The standard looked warmer, in a good way, and I didn't miss the metallic at all.
But then I saw two cars, side by side, one in each color, and I changed my mind. In person, the tiny bit of yellow in the standard white made the car look dull and a bit old-fashioned, while the Carrara white looked nice and crisp, and not "cold" at all.

Having owned both standard white and carrara white back to back, I would go with carrara white every time. I agree with j.w.s. that by itself standard white looks fine (can't tell it has a yellow hint to it), but side by side, carrara white stands out and is much crisper and more white with a hint of gray (in a good way). But again, it's personal preference! Good luck.
Old 10-04-2022 | 04:23 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Originally Posted by porsche bud
Having owned both standard white and carrara white back to back, I would go with carrara white every time. I agree with j.w.s. that by itself standard white looks fine (can't tell it has a yellow hint to it), but side by side, carrara white stands out and is much crisper and more white with a hint of gray (in a good way). But again, it's personal preference! Good luck.
yep, it’s in the books - white metallic it is 👍

Quick Reply: Standard White vs Metallic White