Sponsored by:

E mobility options help

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 12:58 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,887 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Dave, something else missing. Just mentioning the kW number doesn't fully describe the chargers.

The Porsche 150kW charger option, it means the car can take in 375A @400V. There are still some 200kW fast chargers in the wild that doesn't do 800V, not just Tesla chargers. They are capped at 400V and at up to 500A. And if someone doesn't check the 150kW option, the car is stuck at charging at 400V 125A, aka 50kW. A painful exercise. This isn't just for using Tesla Superchargers.
I agree - and I've used those charges - but it's been hard to convince people that's true - I see no reason not to check this $460 on a $100K++++ vehicle - but this apparently is where some people feel they can save money on their build "cause it will never be used"

I respectfully disagree and believe Porsche has caused more problems than they have solved by making this an option - it should just come with 400V/150 kw and not be optional

to me the definative argument is the Tesla Supecharger network as it is:
  • clearly 400v
  • will be 400v for quite while
  • is reliable
  • is built out
  • likely to be useful to most any north american owner
the other 400V/150 kW chargers are too specialized and isolated and/or rare to make the full case.

I'm a big fan of this option because when you need it you'll never know it was used, but it will save you time.
The following users liked this post:
DerekS (07-23-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 02:24 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
big fan of this option because when you need it you'll never know it was used, but it will save you time.
I've had a couple Francis Energy chargers in Okahoma that utilized it. It's definitely nice to have when you need it.

50kW charging is not fast enough for feasible road tripping, IMO!
The following 2 users liked this post by DerekS:
daveo4porsche (07-23-2022), whiz944 (07-23-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 02:12 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

I agree - and I've used those charges - but it's been hard to convince people that's true - I see no reason not to check this $460 on a $100K++++ vehicle - but this apparently is where some people feel they can save money on their build "cause it will never be used"

I respectfully disagree and believe Porsche has caused more problems than they have solved by making this an option - it should just come with 400V/150 kw and not be optional

• clearly 400v
  • is reliable
  • is built out
the other 400V/150 kW chargers are too specialized and isolated and/or rare to make the full case.

I'm a big fan of this option because when you need it you'll never know it was used, but it will save you time.
I agreed, Porsche is just milking customers by making the 150kW optional. But then again it is Porsche, they love milking their options.🤷🏻‍♂️

The 19.2kW AC however is one I regret not getting. But then again it was a delayed optioned when I ordered my Cross Turismo.

I have a Lightning incoming and that one comes with a 100A/80A charger, so my Taycan would have been able to take advantage of the much higher charging speed at home. Heck, right now I have a Clippercreek 80A/64A charger installed at home and my Taycan would have been able to take advantage of 64A charging. Right now I am waiting for the retrofit parts to be made available.

Last edited by Whoopsy; 07-23-2022 at 02:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (07-23-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 03:56 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

• clearly 400v
  • is reliable
  • is built out

Will the Taycan notify you of a Tesla supercharger or just the electrify?
Old 07-23-2022, 06:02 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Redhot2474
Will the Taycan notify you of a Tesla supercharger or just the electrify?
No. Tesla Superchargers in North America are currently for Tesla customers only. Elon has made noises about opening them up, as they have in parts of Europe, but I don't think it will happen for a while. The multi-billion dollar bill subsidizing EV charging stations that made it through Congress a few months ago, will probably grease the skids. Because if Tesla wants to grab a piece of that give-away, they'll likely be forced to support CCS.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:06 PM
Pandaa
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
I agreed, Porsche is just milking customers by making the 150kW optional. But then again it is Porsche, they love milking their options.🤷🏻‍♂️

The 19.2kW AC however is one I regret not getting. But then again it was a delayed optioned when I ordered my Cross Turismo.

I have a Lightning incoming and that one comes with a 100A/80A charger, so my Taycan would have been able to take advantage of the much higher charging speed at home. Heck, right now I have a Clippercreek 80A/64A charger installed at home and my Taycan would have been able to take advantage of 64A charging. Right now I am waiting for the retrofit parts to be made available.
Interesting point, will have to consider the 19.2kW option. Wife has the X Plaid but charging is maxed out at 48A at home and only goes up during super charging. I thought about going to 100A which would make the below usable. Decisions decisions.

http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?r...product_id=160

Quick Reply: E mobility options help