Sponsored by:

Refusing to sell to a non-resident

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 09:14 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts
Default Refusing to sell to a non-resident

I’m having a Porsche dealership refusing to sell me a Taycan they have in stock because I don’t live in their local territory. Knoxville Tennessee. Ever heard of such nonsense? I found the car through the Find my Porsche, Porsche.com
Old 05-20-2022, 11:41 PM
MrOhnoez
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm not high up at a dealership so I don't know the politics behind it, but yes, we've been told by high up in Porsche to do the same.
Used cars are not a problem, but new inventory we have a list of approved zip codes is my understanding.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. G7 (05-21-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 12:12 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,013 Likes on 5,235 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
I’m having a Porsche dealership refusing to sell me a Taycan they have in stock because I don’t live in their local territory. Knoxville Tennessee. Ever heard of such nonsense? I found the car through the Find my Porsche, Porsche.com
Yes, happens all the time.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlexCeres (05-21-2022), detansinn (05-21-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 08:41 AM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Yes, happens all the time.
Just curious, if sales are limited to local territory, why the car is listed in the Find my Porsche by Porsche.com? The advertisement on the website doesn’t disclose the “sale limited to local zip code”.

What next, “sale only to experienced Porsche owners?”

“Blue eye, blondes?”
16PanaHybrid (05-23-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 09:56 AM
Captain Scurry
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

15 months ago when I bought my Taycan, I had dealers from all over the country salivating at a potential purchase (even way below MRSP). I never felt more wanted by a dealership, and eventually bought it from a dealer 2000 miles away. Amazing how times have changed.
Dr. G7 (05-21-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 11:36 AM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Captain Scurry
15 months ago when I bought my Taycan, I had dealers from all over the country salivating at a potential purchase (even way below MRSP). I never felt more wanted by a dealership, and eventually bought it from a dealer 2000 miles away. Amazing how times have changed.
Just my thoughts: there’s a bigger picture here. Since the Knoxville Tennessee dealership told me they can only sell locally, yesterday I set up a subsidiary clinc in Knoxville, Tennessee. Now they are saying “we can only sell if you have a residential address.”
Old 05-21-2022, 11:37 AM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MrOhnoez
I'm not high up at a dealership so I don't know the politics behind it, but yes, we've been told by high up in Porsche to do the same.
Used cars are not a problem, but new inventory we have a list of approved zip codes is my understanding.
please see my follow up.
Old 05-21-2022, 12:31 PM
SFBayTaycanCTGuy
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received this feedback from a dealer as well, also in the south. The reason I was given is that they don't want for Porsche to see their most valuable cars being sold to other zip codes, especially zip codes like the bay area, because then Porsche will end up giving the allocations in the future to these areas, and end up with fewer cars. This is especially true for high spec cars.

I don't know if that's true, but that's what the dealer told me, and it sounded believable to me. in other words they're just trying to protect their dealership.
Old 05-21-2022, 01:19 PM
armanslr
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 122 Posts

Common practice now unfortunately. Dealers can pick and choose who they sell to and prefer local who will bring the car in for service and possibly trade-in the vehicle in the future when they upgrade.
shiftlinkage (05-21-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 03:10 PM
gnop1950
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by armanslr
Common practice now unfortunately. Dealers can pick and choose who they sell to and prefer local who will bring the car in for service and possibly trade-in the vehicle in the future when they upgrade.
Which makes perfect sense from a business perspective. I recently bought a small truck, Tacoma, for my hobbies. The local Toyota dealer will only sell new trucks, all of them at MSRP, to people that live in our county. I'll definitely reward them by taking it into them for service. I bought my Taycan at MSRP from my local dealer. While they do sell to out-of-state, they only sell at MSRP to "local' buyers and have very large markups for non-local buyers. Local buyers also have the first shot at any new cars they get. Although with the current car buying envirionment new cars never seem to be on the lot for more than a couple of days.
PierreTT (05-22-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 03:36 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Just curious, if sales are limited to local territory, why the car is listed in the Find my Porsche by Porsche.com? The advertisement on the website doesn’t disclose the “sale limited to local zip code”.
Because that would potentially run afoul of anti-trust and perhaps price-fixing and collusion laws.

What next, “sale only to experienced Porsche owners?”

“Blue eye, blondes?”
Limiting sales to geographic limits helps PAG protect its U.S. dealership network.

PAG invests lots of time and effort in determining which markets need a new dealership, or funds to remodel an existing dealership.

To ensure that each existing dealership survives, there has to be some implicit acknowledgment that there are territorial protections and boundaries. Otherwise, large dealerships like Champion in FL or Beverly Hills in CA would essentially cannibalize smaller dealerships, say, in Albuquerque NM.

In times when supply exceeds demand, this gentlemen's agreement amongst dealerships and PAG is less strong, but in times like these where demand outstrips supply, a dealership in NC does not need to poach a customer from CA. There are more than enough fish in NC to fulfill the NC dealership orders.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 05-21-2022 at 03:39 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlexCeres (05-21-2022), detansinn (05-21-2022), Geruvah (05-31-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 03:44 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by armanslr
Originally Posted by gnop1950
Which makes perfect sense from a business perspective. I recently bought a small truck, Tacoma, for my hobbies. The local Toyota dealer will only sell new trucks, all of them at MSRP, to people that live in our county. I'll definitely reward them by taking it into them for service. I bought my Taycan at MSRP from my local dealer. While they do sell to out-of-state, they only sell at MSRP to "local' buyers and have very large markups for non-local buyers. Local buyers also have the first shot at any new cars they get. Although with the current car buying envirionment new cars never seem to be on the lot for more than a couple of days.
While this is true, I think it is true only to a limited degree.

Let's say you bought your Taycan from NY but live in Los Angeles. Would you really not go to a dealer in LA to service your Taycan? Surely, you wouldn't go to the dealer in NY where you purchased the car, right?

And of course, if let's say you're in LA where there are dozens of Porsche dealerships, just because you bought your Taycan from Dealer X is no guaranty you will go back to Dealer X for service when in Los Angeles there are Dealers A, B, C, D, etc. all within, say, 15 miles of you, especially if they are more price competitive (or have better refreshments and snacks in the lounge )

But, yes, generally buyers will tend to be more loyal to the dealer that sold them the car, but there are limits to that loyalty.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
detansinn (05-21-2022), Dr. G7 (05-23-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 04:21 PM
gnop1950
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
While this is true, I think it is true only to a limited degree.

Let's say you bought your Taycan from NY but live in Los Angeles. Would you really not go to a dealer in LA to service your Taycan? Surely, you wouldn't go to the dealer in NY where you purchased the car, right?

And of course, if let's say you're in LA where there are dozens of Porsche dealerships, just because you bought your Taycan from Dealer X is no guaranty you will go back to Dealer X for service when in Los Angeles there are Dealers A, B, C, D, etc. all within, say, 15 miles of you, especially if they are more price competitive (or have better refreshments and snacks in the lounge )

But, yes, generally buyers will tend to be more loyal to the dealer that sold them the car, but there are limits to that loyalty.
I get your point and large metro areas are a bit different. LA, NY, hmm, I don't think I'd ever live in either place, but if forced to choose I'd probably choose NY since I grew up on the East Coast. However, if I lived in NYC I'd probably do like my cousin and buy an old classic car and keep it parked except when I left the city

I guess the bottom line is that dealers are pretty independent and, within limits, can pretty much do as they please when it comes to prioritizing who they sell to.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,044 Likes on 559 Posts

Maybe you can try offering them to buy extended warranty, PPF…things that add to their bottom line?
Old 05-24-2022, 11:19 AM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 440 Likes on 197 Posts

Rent an studio apartment there for a month and register it there then move the car wherever
Der-Schwabe (05-24-2022)

Quick Reply: Refusing to sell to a non-resident