Sponsored by:

Refusing to sell to a non-resident

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2022 | 07:24 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
What next, “sale only to experienced Porsche owners?”
You realize that's a thing right. Try buying a GT3.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (05-28-2022)
Old 05-28-2022 | 07:57 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by remington
You realize that's a thing right. Try buying a GT3.
34 for sale right now. In comparison, There are strict rules to Ferrari ownership: you don’t choose, Ferrari chooses you! In a nutshell, Ferrari does a background check on you before you buy the car. You can't sell your car without notifying Ferrari, and you can't sell it in the first year. You can't alter the car "too much", cover the Ferrari badge, or change it, and you can't touch the engine.

Old 05-28-2022 | 09:21 PM
gnop1950
Advanced

It is yet on the lot. Two weeks ago, they told me it was pending sale...with multiple buyers chomping at the bit. Anyway it is six figure purchase, maybe trump change for most Porsche owners, not so for "Basket of Deplorables" types. Me included.
Sounds like they may be playing potential buyers off against each other for the high bid. Wouldn't surprise me, it is a very capitalistic thing to do. It's been happening with houses for a couple of years now and if I were to guess it is probably happening with some car dealers as well. They are probably counting on consumers' notorious short-term memory to come into play once the car crunch is eventually over.
Old 05-28-2022 | 09:26 PM
RCorsa
Pro

Lmk if you want to order a car. I see No chance you’ll get by September at current productions rates but I have a very good west coast GM I’ve bought from several times and referred lots of business too. He got me my PTS turbo S this year which was a litteral miracle. Just pm me with your email.
The following users liked this post:
981.GT4 (05-29-2022)
Old 05-28-2022 | 09:39 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gnop1950
Sounds like they may be playing potential buyers off against each other for the high bid.
That makes sense. But the car is not sold anyway. Maybe they don't even have the car?

Originally Posted by gnop1950
They are probably counting on consumers' notorious short-term memory to come into play once the car crunch is eventually over.
Exactly. Of course, customer loyalty is the thing of past anyway. People don't live in the same city they grew up in/went to school etc.
Old 05-30-2022 | 09:58 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

They want to sell it locally otherwise it’s never coming back in on trade, no service revenue, no warranty work.

They depend on these revenues in a tight inventory market.
Old 05-30-2022 | 12:18 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by shrimp money
They want to sell it locally otherwise it’s never coming back in on trade, no service revenue, no warranty work.
They depend on these revenues in a tight inventory market.
I agree with you, with the caveat: as several other members have said (which I also agree) the era of "working for a company for fifty years and retiring with a gold watch" are gone, right? I bought my car in Milwaukee, moved to Davis, Baton Rouge, then to Atlanta. Consulting gigs in-between. Certainly did not ship my car to Milwaukee for service. Also, car buying has changed... I had a colleague who bought Toyota Camrys, every four years, always black on black, from the same dealership for the last thirty years. That situation is an anomaly. I think.
Old 05-30-2022 | 01:23 PM
gnop1950
Advanced

I agree with you, with the caveat: as several other members have said (which I also agree) the era of "working for a company for fifty years and retiring with a gold watch" are gone, right? I bought my car in Milwaukee, moved to Davis, Baton Rouge, then to Atlanta. Consulting gigs in-between. Certainly did not ship my car to Milwaukee for service. Also, car buying has changed... I had a colleague who bought Toyota Camrys, every four years, always black on black, from the same dealership for the last thirty years. That situation is an anomaly. I think.
Not sure how common it is, but pretty sure it isn't an anomaly. I've been buying most of my cars from the same dealership for over 20 years, even through one ownership change. Now it is one of those multi-brand dealers, Porsche, Audi, Acura, VW. Mostly Acuras, and now a Porsche. They've always been fair to me so I'll continue to buy from them. The same for the Toyota dealer where I bought my truck for my hobbies. I bought my first car in this area, a 1984 Toyota Supra, from them and several other vehicles. Why? Because they've always been fair and done an excellent job with maintenance. My first car was actually a 1959 Ford Anglia in 1966, but that was long ago in a world far far away

On the other hand, there is a multi-brand dealer in town, Chevy/Caddillac/GM/Chrysler/Ford/Hyundai/Honda that I will never buy a car from. They are pushing markups for all in-demand models, maintenance is poor, etc. If I ever want another car from the brands they sell I'll drive the 75 miles to buy a vehicle, even if it costs me more.

Oh, and I've retired twice, once from the armed forces and once from a non-profit corporation. A watch was one of the retirment gifts I could have chosen from the non-profit

Last edited by gnop1950; 05-30-2022 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-31-2022 | 12:12 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Sure, it isn’t a guarantee, but it’s as good as a dealer can do on counting on the vehicle for future revenue.

Ohio has a Ferrari dealer, but most of the cars leave the state.
Old 06-02-2022 | 10:04 AM
StinkyYamaLinky
Track Day

Last week flew to Seattle area for purchase. Dealer surprised me asking for utility bill. He could've told me to bring one during the 6 months of correspondence. Anywho, had to create new online account with one of my utility providers to prove I actually lived in the US. Reason: dealer said many buyers aren't US residents and shipping to China and selling for 5x msrp. Having said that, the Porsche dealer has no problem selling out of state, and msrp for lower priced models - Cayman GTS 4.0 and below.
Old 06-02-2022 | 12:32 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Originally Posted by StinkyYamaLinky
Last week flew to Seattle area for purchase. Dealer surprised me asking for utility bill. He could've told me to bring one during the 6 months of correspondence. Anywho, had to create new online account with one of my utility providers to prove I actually lived in the US. Reason: dealer said many buyers aren't US residents and shipping to China and selling for 5x msrp. Having said that, the Porsche dealer has no problem selling out of state, and msrp for lower priced models - Cayman GTS 4.0 and below.

Picked up my '22 911 GTS last week from the dealer, had to sign a few documents stating I will not be exporting the vehicle. Probably standard procedure.
Old 06-02-2022 | 12:42 PM
Jose Head
Intermediate

Because of limited allocations, our local dealer is limiting new cars to existing customers.
Old 06-02-2022 | 12:54 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

It is a total "do whatever"

Porsche dealer has no problem selling out of state.
Nope. Knoxville, Tennessee dealer won't sell to a Georgia customer.

Add insult to injury: I live about two hours south of the US mothership.

Old 06-02-2022 | 12:55 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jose Head
Because of limited allocations, our local dealer is limiting new cars to existing customers.
So new customers are unwelcome?

Is this advertised in 70 font text?

Why do these "not for outsiders" not advertised in Find My Porsche?

Last edited by Dr. G7; 06-02-2022 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-02-2022 | 01:05 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Picked up my '22 911 GTS last week from the dealer, had to sign a few documents stating I will not be exporting the vehicle. Probably standard procedure.
And if you exported the vehicle, would they know? If you got a plum job in Tasmania and sent your fav car there for your driving pleasure, will your GTS dealer here issue a BOLO and
an all points bulletin to have you arrested?

My point being: Porsche dealers are bullying and harassing customers; just because they can.

Last edited by Dr. G7; 06-02-2022 at 01:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Refusing to sell to a non-resident