Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Model S Plaid vs Taycan

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 11:36 AM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 440 Likes on 197 Posts

I have a m3p (my 5th tesla) and a 2021 taycan 4s. Main issues I’ve had with Tesla is tires. 4 blowouts since 2019 but no battery or mechanical issues. Saving it for my oldest who gets their license in 18 months.

Taycan been in the shop twice for software updates. Hope my 2022 PTS turbo S I get next week is as bulletproof. Generally I find Tesla build quality and ride quality to be crap. Software is better/easier to maintain for sure given its OTA. I’ve seen the new plaid and it’s nicer in the inside(except that insane wheel) but as mentioned it doesn’t look like anything special. I’m sure it’s faster in a strait line compared to my incoming TTS as my old p100d was crazy fast. For me fit/finish and design are important and money less so but to each their own.
The following users liked this post:
Der-Schwabe (03-12-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 06:43 PM
Alexramos7
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not an expert, just my limited experience with both.Model S acceleration is intoxicating, but besides that, the dynamic and performance on the Taycan are better. Also, for such an amazing acceleration power and speed, I'd expert the Model S to have better breaks. Surely, you can't go wrong with either.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:14 PM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm sorry to hear of these troubles with the Taycan. Perhaps the production shutdown will give them time to quickly fix them.

Regarding the yoke of the newer Tesla Model S: I've gotten used to it, but a wheel would be better. The only advantage is the 'gee-whiz' aspect, but that means nothing to me.

But the lack of stalks is very annoying. Turn signals, high-low beam and wipers are all very convenient to use with stalks, without looking, always in the same place. Couldn't be easier. But tiny flush buttons you can't feel for? Horrible idea. Even for the horn! (Yes, I know the palm trick but seriously, you're supposed to know a trick to blow the horn?) Musk justifies this with his quip "All input is error" but I think his input to this design was a whopper.

The following 2 users liked this post by Adk46:
Needsdecaf (03-22-2022), XLR82XS (03-22-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 08:36 PM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Adk46
I'm sorry to hear of these troubles with the Taycan. Perhaps the production shutdown will give them time to quickly fix them.

Regarding the yoke of the newer Tesla Model S: I've gotten used to it, but a wheel would be better. The only advantage is the 'gee-whiz' aspect, but that means nothing to me.

But the lack of stalks is very annoying. Turn signals, high-low beam and wipers are all very convenient to use with stalks, without looking, always in the same place. Couldn't be easier. But tiny flush buttons you can't feel for? Horrible idea. Even for the horn! (Yes, I know the palm trick but seriously, you're supposed to know a trick to blow the horn?) Musk justifies this with his quip "All input is error" but I think his input to this design was a whopper.
in my few weeks with a new Model S I never got used to the location of the turn signals and horn. Always had to look at the yoke to find and use them. Not good! I did get mostly used to the yoke not having a top. Didn’t love it, but could live with it. But I don’t know that I could ever have instinctively found the horn button in an emergency situation.
Old 03-22-2022, 09:06 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Adk46

Not everything needs to be reinvented.
Needsdecaf (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 12:40 PM
Zcd1
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

Reports indicate that horn will be activated from the center via OTA update.

Wipers and headlights I just leave on automatic, so 🤷‍♂️

I’d have chosen a round/full steering wheel if it were an option, but anyone who really wants one can add it via the aftermarket for less than $3K. I don’t see myself spending the extra money but who knows?
Old 03-22-2022, 12:55 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by Zcd1
Reports indicate that horn will be activated from the center via OTA update.

Wipers and headlights I just leave on automatic, so 🤷‍♂️

I’d have chosen a round/full steering wheel if it were an option, but anyone who really wants one can add it via the aftermarket for less than $3K. I don’t see myself spending the extra money but who knows?
You can't automatic the turn signals. And Tesla auto high beams are garbage (well, to be fair, I find most auto high beams garbage too so nothing terribly specific against Tesla). Those issues you CANNOT solve by buying a round wheel.

Old 03-22-2022, 01:49 PM
Zcd1
Racer

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
You can't automatic the turn signals. And Tesla auto high beams are garbage (well, to be fair, I find most auto high beams garbage too so nothing terribly specific against Tesla). Those issues you CANNOT solve by buying a round wheel.
Right, but none of those are issues for me so I don’t care. YMMV.
Old 03-22-2022, 02:50 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

One should not have to spend $3K to get a legitimate steering wheel in a $100K+ car. It's BS full stop.
The following 3 users liked this post by XLR82XS:
daveo4porsche (03-22-2022), gnop1950 (03-22-2022), Needsdecaf (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 03:26 PM
Zcd1
Racer

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
One should not have to spend $3K to get a legitimate steering wheel in a $100K+ car. It's BS full stop.
The irony of calling out another car company for not including “expected” standard features in Porsche forum is rich indeed…
The following 3 users liked this post by Zcd1:
Muu83 (04-15-2022), Pokerhobo (03-29-2022), whojoemama (03-26-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 04:27 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The irony of calling out another car company for not including “expected” standard features in Porsche forum is rich indeed…
At least Porsche provides an entire steering wheel as standard.
gnop1950 (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 04:51 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
At least Porsche provides an entire steering wheel as standard.
My friend used to joke that if Porsche could get away with it, they would make a steering wheel optional. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, lol.

But point taken. At least while they do charge you out the wazoo on options, the driving is never compromised. Even a base 718 with the 4 banger, steel brakes and no options is still a sweet driving car (gargling garbage disposal engine note aside). The rest of it is like hot sauce...how spicy do you want it? Hell, my wife's Cayenne diesel on steel brakes, steel suspension, power steering plus drives better than the 535i with dynamic handling package that it replaced. No hyperbole, even she would tell you that.

But with the joke / yoke, it's almost like Elon is playing a game of "how much can I take away before they stop buying the car". And so far....he's winning.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 03-22-2022 at 04:52 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
daveo4porsche (03-22-2022), Der-Schwabe (03-23-2022), gnop1950 (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 09:29 AM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 166 Posts

Tesla can get away with a lot currently since they can sell every car they make, and at high prices and with long backlogs. I'm looking forward to when that changes so they pay greater attention to ordinary improvements that I think are needed. The auto-dimming headlights are high on my list - it's nuts that the system thinks a big green exit sign is a car. It takes a long press on the button to switch to high beams - unlike a stalk, there's no separate motion for flashing your lights so it must be combined with the one button. Stupid piled onto stupid. But it was even worse when my car was new - I'm describing the improved behavior.

Overall, still happy with the car. Good haunches. I paid $20K less than current price, though ...

AlexCeres (03-31-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 07:45 PM
jyym
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

curious about your (people who have owned both teslas and Porsches) opinions on innodrive vs autopilot. I'm thinking of going for a Porsche but I really like having autopilot available.
Old 03-31-2022, 01:28 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,013 Likes on 5,235 Posts

The problem with comparing a Tesla with a Porsche, or any other EV marque, is that it's literally comparing apples to oranges.

Tesla makes appliances, with multidirectional mobility. Every other marque, incl. Porsche, makes cars. Electric cars, but still cars.
The following 4 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlexCeres (03-31-2022), Der-Schwabe (03-31-2022), Juan.Valencia (04-09-2022), Visceral (03-31-2022)

Quick Reply: Model S Plaid vs Taycan