Sponsored by:

Paint Protection Film

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 08:42 PM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 2022992guy
Wondering what folks on this forum think about PPF ? Any regrets with getting PPF?

Any issues with Taycan cross turismo and PPF?

I'm contemplating a front protection package?

How do you find a reputable shop aside from Google reviews which can be hit or miss? Some of the reviews can be fake.

Thanks
​​​​I had full front clip PPF installed at a highly rated local shop near me and they did a fantastic job. I would recommend it on any luxury/performance car you care about and intend to drive and keep for a while.

As far as a good shop near you, use usual online sources like Yelp, Google Reviews and ask people in your local car enthusiasts community online, they are usually precious with their sports cars and will give you reasonable recommendations local to you.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:44 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 425 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Visceral
.....For me, the Taycan isn't worth protecting from chips/scratches for $6k. I know there are "partial" wraps, but the M3 I'm selling never had a wrap and the total I spent on repairs was approximately $1000 to keep it immaculate over 6 years and many miles......
This is where we are as well, at least for the Taycan. Apart from paint color and wheels, ours is a fairly modest build, specced with all season tires. Its the new family grocery getter. Back before the days of PPF, we would call up a mobile paint touch up guy to come by between dealership stops to fix anything worse than we could buff out ourselves for a surprisingly reasonable fee, and these guys are miracle workers. They are still around. With the work they do, it just doesn't make sense to spend big bucks on PPF to prevent a possible repair costing a fraction of that.
The following users liked this post:
Visceral (01-04-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 10:45 PM
jeffc911
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently had a partial front done on my CTT with clear XPEL. Replaced a partial that began to look bad after 11 years. Hard to remove the old.
The new PPF looks like a fresh coat of clear!
Wish I’d done a full front…or the whole car for that matter.

It looks that good!
Old 01-04-2022, 09:39 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffc911
I recently had a partial front done on my CTT with clear XPEL. Replaced a partial that began to look bad after 11 years. Hard to remove the old.
The new PPF looks like a fresh coat of clear!
Wish I’d done a full front…or the whole car for that matter.

It looks that good!
Yes it does! It did full body custom cut PPF on my '21 after delivery. (Xpel)

The following users liked this post:
Der-Schwabe (01-04-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 12:48 AM
pw-sherman
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 48 Posts

I actually got two rock chips on my way from the dealership to the PPF shop (less than 5 miles) in my Taycan

The front end sits pretty low so I'm glad I had the full front end film applied to reduce future chips.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:37 AM
umwolverine
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

I would highly recommend doing the entire car PPF and Ceramic. Not only are you protected from any rocks/debris on the road, but the PPF will protect your car in parking lots from doors, shopping carts etc. The ceramic makes the car incredibly easy to clean and repels dirt like nothing I've ever seen. The attached pic is my car after 6 weeks of not washing and driving in rain/snow.
The following 2 users liked this post by umwolverine:
Der-Schwabe (01-07-2022), XLR82XS (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 01:43 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
We got quoted $650 for just the front bumper cover for our new '22 CT. Have to say, at that price, it may not make sense to do, especially if it just has a 5 year life expectancy. One can buy quite a bit of professional rock / chip damage repair work for that if it ever happens above and beyond what can get buffed out with polishing compound at home. Am I crazy or just getting overcharged for PPF?
Most people don't ask for just the front bumper cover. If I had to guess it's too small of a job for the installer and he's quoting you a premium. It sounds high. But as suggested by others, ensure you're doing the entire front half of the vehicle. My Spyder was $2300 and that included the rear rocker guards as well. If you are not in an area that'll get rock chips, PPF is not worthwhile IMO. For instance, if I was in Ohio and it was not a DD, I would not do PPF. But if you're going on highways that have any sort of road construction or live in an area with lots of rocks (southwest) ... then yes to PPF.

Also, white is a tough color to PPF... unless you're doing the entire vehicle, you're going to see a difference (only close up) in hue from panel (covered) to panel (uncovered). This applies to Suntek and Xpel. It's not a huge noticeable difference for the most part, but if you're super ****, you'll notice it.

Last edited by guab; 01-07-2022 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2022, 02:12 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by guab
For instance, if I was in Ohio and it was not a DD, I would not do PPF. But if you're going on highways that have any sort of road construction or live in an area with lots of rocks (southwest) ... then yes to PPF.
100% any surface can and get paint chips (not rock) and absolutely PPF any car you care about. It's not just chips, but love marks/swirls/nail marks or anything touching the paint. Zero micro scratches keep the paint looking showroom even during quick wipe downs.

All roads have debris on them and it's flying around constantly especially when vehicles change lanes in front of you. (sand heard pelting the vehicle) I have driven in the middle of nowhere alone on a secluded road and received impact on the hood of my 911 turbo (w/PPF).
I owned a 970 Panamera Turbo that has NO PPF on the rear doors and the "hips" were beat up badly and all 4 doors had paint chips from crap flying off the road. My 2020 Tesla even got chips in the roof glass from a rock or something in the first 1000 miles from new.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:23 PM
scmorris
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to know the name of the shop. Thank you

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Film