Sponsored by:

Paint Protection Film

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 12:21 PM
2022992guy
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Paint Protection Film

Wondering what folks on this forum think about PPF ? Any regrets with getting PPF?

Any issues with Taycan cross turismo and PPF?

I'm contemplating a front protection package?

How do you find a reputable shop aside from Google reviews which can be hit or miss? Some of the reviews can be fake.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2021, 03:09 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

PPF is great and does what it's designed to do.

I don't see your location, but I would post that up and look for a recommendation in that area from someone here.

​​​​​​If no one recommends, check reviews. Pick a couple of shops and setup a consultation so you can take a look at some of their work in-person.
Old 12-31-2021, 03:14 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by 2022992guy
Wondering what folks on this forum think about PPF ? Any regrets with getting PPF?

Any issues with Taycan cross turismo and PPF?

I'm contemplating a front protection package?

How do you find a reputable shop aside from Google reviews which can be hit or miss? Some of the reviews can be fake.

Thanks
I have no regrets getting PPF and have been getting front end protection on all my cars for the past several years. I have also been getting ceramic done (entire car....) after PPF. There are several excellent products, and the key is the quality of the installer. If you are having trouble getting a recommendation, check with local detail shops. They get to see lots of "fresh" jobs when they are doing ceramic over the PPF, and it's fairly easy for them to see marginal installations (and they know where to look).
The following 2 users liked this post by dgtarga:
jeffc911 (01-03-2022), MoeMistry (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 10:38 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 748 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by dgtarga
I have no regrets getting PPF and have been getting front end protection on all my cars for the past several years. I have also been getting ceramic done (entire car....) after PPF. There are several excellent products, and the key is the quality of the installer. If you are having trouble getting a recommendation, check with local detail shops. They get to see lots of "fresh" jobs when they are doing ceramic over the PPF, and it's fairly easy for them to see marginal installations (and they know where to look).
+1
The following users liked this post:
XLR82XS (01-03-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 12:39 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,099 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Any car I care about the condition on, I put PPF on. Find the best installer in your area, ask to see some of their work and go with them. It's something that will be on your car for a long time (5 years) before you'll want to replace it depending on mileage and where you drive and store your car, so a high quality job is important. Brand of film is less important. Most major brands, XPEL, Suntek, STEK are all high quality and any good installer is going to be using a quality film and will stand behind it.

I recommend doing full front so front bumper, front fenders, hood, mirrors, rocker panels and a small piece behind the rear wheels.
Old 01-01-2022, 03:13 PM
london123
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

in the UK configuration, there is option for front PPF (only front bonnet,front apron, front wings and exterior mirrors) but not doors for £1347.
Ideally, i would have thought front door PPF necessary in such a wide car to prevent dings from adjacent cars in narrow car parks.

Has anyone gone for this option on the configuration, or otherwise know of alternative installer? doesn't have to be OPC subcontractor.
Old 01-01-2022, 03:18 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,099 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Originally Posted by london123
in the UK configuration, there is option for front PPF (only front bonnet,front apron, front wings and exterior mirrors) but not doors for £1347.
Ideally, i would have thought front door PPF necessary in such a wide car to prevent dings from adjacent cars in narrow car parks.

Has anyone gone for this option on the configuration, or otherwise know of alternative installer? doesn't have to be OPC subcontractor.
I'd recommend getting it from a reputable installer after you take delivery. Not through the factory. From what I have heard, the quality of the factory paint protection film install is not as good (edges aren't wrapped).

Trending Topics

Old 01-01-2022, 03:37 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Factory PPF is outsourced to local installers in Zuffenhausen area, and has been reported to be of variable quality in terms of installation. Best to have it done locally post-delivery.
Old 01-02-2022, 03:53 AM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 425 Likes on 265 Posts

We got quoted $650 for just the front bumper cover for our new '22 CT. Have to say, at that price, it may not make sense to do, especially if it just has a 5 year life expectancy. One can buy quite a bit of professional rock / chip damage repair work for that if it ever happens above and beyond what can get buffed out with polishing compound at home. Am I crazy or just getting overcharged for PPF?
Old 01-02-2022, 08:33 AM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

At the least do the full front half. Something hard and heavy will eventually bounce across the hood.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:34 AM
abatis
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

I had the front end of my 2013 Cayenne done coming up on 9 years ago and it still looks great. (85K miles). Based on the Cayenne experience I had the entire front end of my 21 CT done up to the windshield line (entire hood, bummer, fenders+lower wheel rear arch etc) with Expel. My Porsche dealer had it done and passed it through at direct cost from the vendor. the cost was ~ $1850. I hope it last 9+ years as well barring a major ding. I am sold on PPF.
Old 01-02-2022, 09:09 AM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

I've had several done - full front end (bumper, fenders, full hood, side mirrors) for just under @2,000. If you're being charged $650 for the front bumper alone you may want to check around.
Old 01-02-2022, 05:26 PM
london123
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by abatis
I had the front end of my 2013 Cayenne done coming up on 9 years ago and it still looks great. (85K miles). Based on the Cayenne experience I had the entire front end of my 21 CT done up to the windshield line (entire hood, bummer, fenders+lower wheel rear arch etc) with Expel. My Porsche dealer had it done and passed it through at direct cost from the vendor. the cost was ~ $1850. I hope it last 9+ years as well barring a major ding. I am sold on PPF.
Yes, i think it is necessary on such a low car , & wide too.
Local OPC did quote on similar coverage for approx 20% less - I presume they'll subcontract the work - & said it is some sort of self healing PPF so better than the configurator factory option. But again, did not offer (& could not offer) protection round the sides to include front doors.

Question is , does it look odd to do front half but not the rear & one half will look 'shinier'?
Old 01-02-2022, 05:35 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Yes, i think it is necessary on such a low car , & wide too.
Local OPC did quote on similar coverage for approx 20% less - I presume they'll subcontract the work - & said it is some sort of self healing PPF so better than the configurator factory option. But again, did not offer (& could not offer) protection round the sides to include front doors.

Question is , does it look odd to do front half but not the rear & one half will look 'shinier'?
The standard front end coverage (bumper, hood front fenders, side mirrors) looks absolutely fine. Does not look “shinier.” It’s a very commonly used package.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:18 PM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 129 Posts

I've PPF'd three cars now- all cars that I want to keep as long as they let me drive. The price for a full PPF at the better installers around here is $6k. I have several cars that dont have PPF. My Lexus LX has a hood from a different car that is the wrong color. For me, the Taycan isn't worth protecting from chips/scratches for $6k. I know there are "partial" wraps, but the M3 I'm selling never had a wrap and the total I spent on repairs was approximately $1000 to keep it immaculate over 6 years and many miles.
I'm on the list for a 992 3RS, and for sure, it will get PPF too. But not the Taycan.

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Film