Cost to replace Taycan's battery?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2021, 11:45 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
also hopeful any replacement would be a "better" battery - kinda upgrade the whole car - maybe more capacity or improved chemistries - batteries are so modular - it could be a really awesome "opportunity" to refresh one's battery and kinda get a new car in the process…
That's my thinking. I ordered my '21 Taycan to keep long term and if a replacement pack is required, Porsche would offer the latest battery tech.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:53 AM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 129 Posts

I don't buy aftermarket warranties because I can afford not to pay someone extra to hedge the catastrophic risk. If I couldn't, I'd wonder if I could actually afford a $150k car.
I don't have an aftermarket warranty on the 991 Turbo S and I have a feeling that an engine replacement is more expensive than a new Taycan battery.

Lastly, I'm confident that if battery failure suddenly becomes common (which I feel is extremely unlikely given how conservative VAG is with battery use), a whole after-market industry will arise to address it.

Remember than Tesla uses more of the available power from a battery than other companies.

Last edited by Visceral; 12-02-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:16 PM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 129 Posts

also hopeful any replacement would be a "better" battery - kinda upgrade the whole car - maybe more capacity or improved chemistries - batteries are so modular - it could be a really awesome "opportunity" to refresh one's battery and kinda get a new car in the process…
Sadly I feel like the opposite is likely. An enormous portion of the tech on the Taycan is how is uniquely handles silicon anode lithium cells. If anything, I believe that Porsche/VAG is currently trying to reduce Cobalt needs while *maintaining* charge performance and longevity.

If a replacement battery is necessary, it will more likely be lower cost and lower footprint manufacturing while maintaining similar performance to silicon anode lithium. Battery longevity is already likely to be fantastic within the conservative Porsche parameters. Tesla uses almost identical Panasonic cells to Porsche's LG Chem and treats them a bit more harshly and hasn't suffered longevity issues. If anything, Tesla has proven how errant other companies are when they are so cautious.

I can picture specific aftermarket upgrades that allow greater current handling for the controller and motor (and more power). The battery in the 4S supplies the same high current that the Turbo S needs during the launch. It's the motor and controller/inverter that are limiting your car.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:07 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
As noted in the other thread, it will not make any kind of economic sense to replace the battery pack. Sell the car and buy a new one instead of lighting $40+K on fire to maintain an 8 year old first generation relic. For the vast majority of people you’re only looking at 10% degradation by 150,000 miles.

if you’re worried about those few % then don’t use DC fast charging more than absolutely necessary, don’t charge over 80-85% and don’t let the battery discharge completely. Prevention cheaper than cure ...
How is the battery holding up for you? Zero chance you'll see 10% in 150k miles. It's more likely you see 10% degradation before it hits 30k miles.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:11 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I'll bet a replacement is less than an engine rebuild on my 997RS. In fact I'm about SURE of that!
Nissan wants almost 20k for their Leaf battery replacement, you think Porche only cost 30-40k? My guess is it's going to be close to 50-60k to replace the entire battery. Still cheaper than your engine rebuild if that's what it is?
Old 02-01-2023, 02:14 PM
earl pottinger
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Replacement battery

Originally Posted by Visceral
I can picture specific aftermarket upgrades that allow greater current handling for the controller and motor (and more power). The battery in the 4S supplies the same high current that the Turbo S needs during the launch. It's the motor and controller/inverter that are limiting your car.
One company claims they can already extend the range of a Tesla to 752 miles with their battery replacement.

See:

However, they have not release what it would cost. What is clear, if they made a Taycan battery (and Taycan owners could afford it) the Taycan would see a big improvement in range too. The company is still active, but I do not know what their future plans are or if they are just hoping to be bought out by another company.

Earl Colby Pottinger (BEV Lover)
Old 02-01-2023, 02:52 PM
PDACPA
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Someone on another forum said the cost to replace the battery for his car was $50k (under warranty). No support for the amount, just passing on what he posted.
Old 02-04-2023, 04:15 PM
amphicar770
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

Never underestimate the Porsche tax.

As a point of reference, 1st gen Panamera hybrid batteries have been failing with low miles at around 6 year mark. Dealer quote on replacement for a 9.4 kWh LiIon battery is $25k for the battery plus $15k labor. Comparable size battery for any other hybrid is about $5k all in.

Old 02-05-2023, 08:44 AM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 265 Posts

my mention of "Solid State Battery" was overly broad…

the Taycan does not have a Solid State Battery …
Glad you clarified. Practical solid-state battery technology for EVs is in the future. A clarification from the wiki oracle:

[begin quote] A lithium-ion battery is composed of cathode, anode, separator and electrolyte. A lithium-ion battery applied at smartphones, power tools and EVs uses liquid electrolyte solution. On the other hand, a solid-state battery uses solid electrolyte not liquid.

[end quote]

Some challenges of solid-state batteries, are defined in foreign languages (again from wiki

“more in the context/genre of "Solid State Electronics" which have few if any moving parts and either work or they do not work…”

Other than the latter (and either work or they do not work) the former (Solid State Electronics" which have few if any moving parts) is kinda - generally is true.

Last edited by Dr. G7; 02-05-2023 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Cost to replace Taycan's battery?