Sponsored by:

Taycan Turbo - EPA rated 201 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 03:09 PM
CarMaven
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Future930
How can you take Matt seriously. Joe asked him for the range and he said 300 miles.

It is also possible for press cars to have all battery unlocked let’s say because Porsche doesn’t care about the damage. I don’t know just a guess. It’s hard to explain 201 vs whatever press people were saying.
Touche on Matt! LOL
I guess, we'll find out when the cars actually hit the streets, and owner experience?
Old 12-12-2019, 03:13 PM
CarMaven
Pro

Originally Posted by evanevery
I'm still hoping someone posts more data about how/why Porsche limits the usable capacity of the 93.4 KWH Taycan battery to only 83.7 KWH...

If this approximate 10% reduction is in the interest of reduced charging time (by eliminating charge tailing at the top), then it takes some of the sting out of the poor range spec.

IOW: If Porsche is recommending/supporting/suggesting charging the Taycan to 100% (of its limited 83.7 KWH) every night, then this makes the 201 mile range more comparable to the 218 I get for DAILY RANGE on my 90% charged 90KWH ModelX.

Anyone know what the RECOMMENDED nightly charge level is? Is Porsche officially recommending charging to 100% (of their 83.7 KWH Limit) on a daily/nightly basis - or are they also recommending less charge (like the 90% suggestion for most other EV's)?

It would still be unfortunate, however, to artificially eliminate the ability to charge to 100% actual capacity when needed for the occasional MAX RANGE longer trips.

DAILY RANGE vs MAX RANGE is the question...
I don't know what Porshe officially specifies.

However, just looking at various reviews (and battery life, time/common sense protocol), you usually here 5-10-80% runs. Very few people have mentioned charging it to 100%, and the ones that have (only one guy I saw), did say they had to wait a good deal longer for that extra 10-20%-due to the taper no doubt.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:15 PM
SFsoundguy
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by acoste
In real world driving the poster gets more range on all the vehicles I listed compared to EPA. This is why I asked.

Fiat 500e EPA: 84 miles. ...versus ...."Fiat e500 My average 90 miles"
I3s EPA: 107 miles. ......................... "BMW i3S My average 120 miles"
eGolf EPA: 83 miles .........................."VW eGolf My average 88 mile"

No in all cases I get fewer miles than the EPA rating
Fiat stated a range of 121 I got 90
VW stated a range of 125 I got 88
i3S stated a range of 126 I get 120 on a summer day 99 in winter
Audi eTron stated a range of 225 I get 180 on a summer day 169 in winter

On average 20% to 25% less miles than the EPA rating on each car.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:21 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by CarMaven
Context is needed here in this one.

That same poster, Matt Farah (during a conversation with Joe Rogan on that run), said he drove up to 100 mph/was driving fast. Not only did he say the Tesla would have burnt up it's battery the same. He said, if he was going slower he would have gotten a lot better mileage. He basically had grouped them the same, and didn't see the Tesla as substantially better (whether it is or isn't) in Real World Range. That was his comments, feelings.
I like Matt and generally enjoy his reviews. He's also an EV fan.

Having said that, he got so many facts wrong in his first 3 minutes of one of the snippets I listened to (regarding charging, regen, cooling system, range, etc.) that I couldn't even listen to more. And I listen to the guy's podcast twice a week. I think he's a bit bamboozled by the Porsche pressers and probably was pretty high when he was on with JRE (I know he spoke about being very excited to smoke some very strong stuff with Joe Rogan). So I wouldn't take anything he said on the JRE podcast as any kind of true.

The part about him driving it like a maniac was true, though.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:22 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BusDriver
Looks like Autoweek posted a response to the panic and hysteria...

Everyone take a deep breath.

If the car works for you, great!
If it doesn't, then get something else.

That quote was written by someone who's never lived with an EV, clearly.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:41 PM
CarMaven
Pro

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I like Matt and generally enjoy his reviews. He's also an EV fan.

Having said that, he got so many facts wrong in his first 3 minutes of one of the snippets I listened to (regarding charging, regen, cooling system, range, etc.) that I couldn't even listen to more. And I listen to the guy's podcast twice a week. I think he's a bit bamboozled by the Porsche pressers and probably was pretty high when he was on with JRE (I know he spoke about being very excited to smoke some very strong stuff with Joe Rogan). So I wouldn't take anything he said on the JRE podcast as any kind of true.

The part about him driving it like a maniac was true, though.
Haha, regarding Matt On Stats.Yeah. We talked about him. LOL

Nonetheless, I think his overall point was: 'when you drive EV's fast or on the highway, they don't get as good a mileage (Tesla and All)', which is true.

Plus, he said both good and bad (whether accurate or not) as the 17 mile 40% range estimates in the Taycan with out context, wouldn't necessarily look good. And when he rolled down the hill from that point, he could have simply used regenerative braking to recoup back some of that estimate (which is what would have happened), which he didn't. So, he's dumb/care free, high or both? LOL

Regarding the smokes: Oh yeah. It happened, it was more than that. If I remember correctly, he took a big time pull on a spliff ON AIR with Joe in a cloud infested, seemingly eye rubbing haze that would scare a fireman. LMAO.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:08 PM
Dyefrog
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CarMaven
Context is needed here in this one.

That same poster, Matt Farah (during a conversation with Joe Rogan on that run), said he drove up to 100 mph/was driving fast. Not only did he say the Tesla would have burnt up it's battery the same. He said, if he was going slower he would have gotten a lot better mileage. He basically had grouped them the same, and didn't see the Tesla as substantially better (whether it is or isn't) in Real World Range. That was his comments, feelings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imi5ODmIckw
I never mentioned the Tesla. I was just responding to someone's opinion that real world experiences trump EPA estimates.
But since you mentioned Tesla, the Model 3 can run 100 mph for more than 17 miles if I'm not mistaken. I'm fairly certain that the Model S Plaid will too when it arrives this summer assuming similar drivetrain/cooling lessons learned.
Shocking that going slower though would have returned better mileage, news to me.
It will be interesting to see though if the Plaid S which should run circles around the Taycan will also use up 40% of its battery after 17 miles, Assuming of course the Plaid S also has ~100kWh battery too.
I doubt that the Model 3 would use 40% of it's much smaller battery after 17 miles of spirited driving but it's also lighter and more aerodynamic than the S.

Either way, I find it interesting that Porsche fanboys are getting all bent out of shape over efficiency of a Porsche. What Porsche owner has ever put efficiency or value as a top 10 criteria when buying a Porsche?
I would think the list would be:
Performance
Handling
Something
Something
Quality
Something
Aesthetics
Something
Something
Brand
Something
Luxury
Something
Efficiency
Something
Value

Fire away
Old 12-12-2019, 04:26 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyefrog
I never mentioned the Tesla. I was just responding to someone's opinion that real world experiences trump EPA estimates.
But since you mentioned Tesla, the Model 3 can run 100 mph for more than 17 miles if I'm not mistaken. I'm fairly certain that the Model S Plaid will too when it arrives this summer assuming similar drivetrain/cooling lessons learned.
Shocking that going slower though would have returned better mileage, news to me.
It will be interesting to see though if the Plaid S which should run circles around the Taycan will also use up 40% of its battery after 17 miles, Assuming of course the Plaid S also has ~100kWh battery too.
I doubt that the Model 3 would use 40% of it's much smaller battery after 17 miles of spirited driving but it's also lighter and more aerodynamic than the S.

Just a little math here. Let's say a car has 400kW peak power. EVs can deliver their peak power over a wide range, like from 30 mph up to 90mph.

If someone keeps accelerating in this range. (assuming battery to wheel efficiency is 90%). It will use up 100kWh energy in 27 minutes assuming acceleration and deceleration times over the whole trip are the same. Now if the average speed was somewhere at 67 mph, the total distance driven is around 30 miles. This applies to any car. Tesla, Porsche, whatever.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:34 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,027 Posts

the taycan smokes the model 3 on everything except range. and price, but Porsche, what'd you expect ?

I'm reluctant to compare an imaginary product with a real product. I don't doubt the Plaid S will be terrific. I mean, 50% more motors, and hopefully bringing all the model 3 advancements back to the model S. But there's no reason to believe that the build quality and handling will be better than any other Tesla product. Tesla does range, value and 0-60. All great. Quality, handling and vmax not so much.

We'll know in 7-8 months.

Either way, I find it interesting that Porsche fanboys are getting all bent out of shape over efficiency of a Porsche. What Porsche owner has ever put efficiency or value as a top 10 criteria when buying a Porsche?
I would think the list would be:
Performance
Handling
Something
Something
Quality
Something
Aesthetics
Something
Something
Brand
Something
Luxury
Something
Efficiency
Something
Value

Fire away
There are EV fanboys, and Porsche fanboys. The intersection is smaller. Plenty of Porsche fanboys just hate all EVs forever and have a surprising amount in common with the ELON! fanboys. They were never seriously going to consider the taycan.

Honestly, I'm certain Porsche is OK with all of this. They never expected to do better than the Panamera line, and appear just as surprised as anyone else to have more deposits than years of production capacity. A lot of people will skip v1.0, and Porsche, Audi and VW will make a lot of range improvements in gen .2. It's all going to be okay.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:37 PM
evanevery
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

Just a little math here. Let's say a car has 400kW peak power. EVs can deliver their peak power over a wide range, like from 30 mph up to 90mph.

If someone keeps accelerating in this range. (assuming battery to wheel efficiency is 90%). It will use up 100kWh energy in 27 minutes assuming acceleration and deceleration times over the whole trip are the same. Now if the average speed was somewhere at 67 mph, the total distance driven is around 30 miles. This applies to any car. Tesla, Porsche, whatever.
I'm curious how someone would keep accelerating from 30-90 for 27 minutes, without, say, "decelerating"? What point are you trying to fabricate here?
The following users liked this post:
JB43 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 04:38 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Tesla uses 4% buffer only at the bottom and they don't use top buffer. VW group uses more buffer at the top in order to protect the battery. I also think they are going to slowly open it up over years as the car ages to keep the range the same. But this latter is just a guess.
I agree, Porsche is just being overly cautious due to a lack of information. They simply don't have enough time and data on their batteries. Just this past week, I read that Jaguar is opening up the limits on the battery pack of the I-Pace like 8%. They did this after accumulating another years worth of data with a chunk of that coming from all the cars in the I-Pace racing series. Tesla has a 10 year head start on battery degradation information. Note that their data can't be transferred to other makes/models due to different cell types.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:39 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by evanevery
I'm curious how someone would keep accelerating from 30-90 for 27 minutes, without, say, "decelerating"? What point are you trying to fabricate here?
you missed that bold line there:

If there is no deceleration, this theoretical trip would only last 13 minutes.

100kWh / 400 kW = 0.25h = 15 minutes.
minus lost energy due to efficiency
Old 12-12-2019, 05:18 PM
unclewill
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

The more I ponder it, the more I think that the two speed transmission may be a significant range eater here. Tesla experimented with transmissions on the original Roadster but abandoned them because they couldn’t handle the torque. The burlier the transmission, the more power it’s going to eat and the heavier it will be. When engineers are microanalysing wheel bearings to eke out range, having gear sets sloshing through gear oil at high speeds cannot be good.
The following users liked this post:
JB43 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 05:25 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by unclewill
The more I ponder it, the more I think that the two speed transmission may be a significant range eater here. Tesla experimented with transmissions on the original Roadster but abandoned them because they couldn’t handle the torque. The burlier the transmission, the more power it’s going to eat and the heavier it will be. When engineers are microanalysing wheel bearings to eke out range, having gear sets sloshing through gear oil at high speeds cannot be good.
There are many reasons why the Taycan's consumption of over 400 Wh/mile is pretty abysmial. The transmission is almost certainly one of them, likely 7-10% hit in efficiency. Non-optomized cable lengths, non-optomized electronics, etc. it all adds up. Remember, range, just like in an ICE car, is a function of both capacity (kWh vs. gallons of gas) and consumption (Wh/mile vs. MPG). Simply stating that Porsche is more conservative with the battery capacity vs. Tesla ignores the consumption issue. And at over 400 Wh/mile, the Taycan is pretty piggish for a car with a Cd in the low to mid .2 range.

But again, I keep returning to my other question. Porsche is quite desperate to prove that the "usable" mileage of the Taycan is more than the EPA rated range. Desperate enough they would pay for an independent study and face that ridicule. They need to sell cars. But HOW. What's the difference in the EPA test vs. the independent test that gives a magic bullet?

I can't wait to drive one of these cars and get a realistic consumption figure.
The following 2 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
daveo4porsche (12-12-2019), JB43 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 05:31 PM
Future930
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SFsoundguy
No in all cases I get fewer miles than the EPA rating
Fiat stated a range of 121 I got 90
VW stated a range of 125 I got 88
i3S stated a range of 126 I get 120 on a summer day 99 in winter
Audi eTron stated a range of 225 I get 180 on a summer day 169 in winter

On average 20% to 25% less miles than the EPA rating on each car.
That graphic is confusing. Maybe it’s me but it shows combined range in big numbers then there is another range number on the bottom.

Quick Reply: Taycan Turbo - EPA rated 201 miles