Sponsored by:

0-60 one second too slow; range 370 miles short

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2019 | 06:08 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neil.yoshi
How many EV's have a 10 second quarter?

Leaving aside small manufacturers with no real dealer network that cannot stand on their own two feet financially.
How many EVs are there? I'm assuming that every performance EV released from now until the end of time will have close to a 10 second quarter or better.
Old 09-05-2019 | 06:36 AM
moomin
Instructor

Originally Posted by destaccado
So when you buy a Tesla; you're basically getting a product that's below the actual cost. When you buy a Porsche - you're doing your part in giving billions in profit away.

That's certainly one way to look at it!

I agree with the sentiment that the Taycan pricing is absurd. It isn't without it's merits. Or rather it's closest competitor has numerous faults. I had a Model S for some time this year. I also had a new 3 series loaner for a week or two. The interior of this 45k BMW was superior in every way to the 90k Model S. The OS inside the tesla was buggy. Spent lot's of time rebooting the car. The Model 3 has worse build quality.

I expect the Taycan to be a jump in refinement and build quality. The Germans go crazy on shut lines. This is something I would consider if I had the money for such a car.
Old 09-05-2019 | 01:30 PM
Carrara Design
Former Vendor

I'm sure Porsche could have tuned the car to go faster than anything to 60mph, but I think the goal here was consistent, reliable performance with no overheating or limp mode all day long regardless of temperature, conditions, battery percentage, etc.

Unlike some other electric vehicles on the market.

Besides who cares about 0-60 times or spec sheets anymore anyway. I'm sure the Taycan will drive far better than anything else it competes with. And it will put trains on any GT car off the line, and probably from a roll as well (except the 2RS maybe).
Old 09-05-2019 | 01:44 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NS2 Media
I'm sure Porsche could have tuned the car to go faster than anything to 60mph, but I think the goal here was consistent, reliable performance with no overheating or limp mode all day long regardless of temperature, conditions, battery percentage, etc.

Unlike some other electric vehicles on the market.

People keep repeating this (sorry to pick on you) but while that was true for the Model S, it's not true for the Model 3 performance. So while the Turbo / Turbo S is faster than a Model 3 Performance (which is rated at 3.2 sec and tests at about 3.0 to 3.1 without rollout) it's not that much faster. And maybe the Model 3 won't be able to do it 26 times in a row, but who really launches their car 26 times in a row?
The following users liked this post:
goin2drt (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019 | 02:03 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
People keep repeating this (sorry to pick on you) but while that was true for the Model S, it's not true for the Model 3 performance. So while the Turbo / Turbo S is faster than a Model 3 Performance (which is rated at 3.2 sec and tests at about 3.0 to 3.1 without rollout) it's not that much faster. And maybe the Model 3 won't be able to do it 26 times in a row, but who really launches their car 26 times in a row?
I feel like a lot of guys saw the initial Model S problems - which were true - and simply failed to pay attention much since.

If it wasn't for the Taycan I probably wouldn't have paid much attention to Tesla's improvements either.
Old 09-05-2019 | 02:49 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

this is now just getting embarrassing…Porsche's own data says over 4xx wh/mile efficiency - my Model X which is a PIG - does 368 wh/mile - I've documented it on a 1200 mile trip - post number 18 in this thread - https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan-a...l-x-p100d.html

NOTE: that consumption rate is for a Model X P100D with 4 passengers, cargo, AC full blast - no speed limits observed, and the Model X is about as quick as the Taycan Turbo…and that's before Tesla refreshed the line to be more efficient.

the efficient they are quoting for KM is close the consumption for the Model 3 in terms of miles…worst EV on the market.

Old 09-05-2019 | 02:51 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

NOTE: the 269 wh/km figure is the same number of wh as the Model 3 consumes PER MILE - this is embarrassing.
Old 09-05-2019 | 02:52 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
this is now just getting embarrassing…Porsche's own over 400 wh/mile efficiency - my Model X which is a PIG - does 351 wh/mile - I've documented it on a 1200 mile trip!

the efficient they are quoting for KM is close the consumption for the Model 3 in terms of miles…worst EV on the market.
Wide tires and heavier performance components do require more energy to move around. I think my GT3 is a lot less efficient than a Honda SUV.
Old 09-05-2019 | 02:57 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by destaccado
Wide tires and heavier performance components do require more energy to move around. I think my GT3 is a lot less efficient than a Honda SUV.
Model C weighs 5,100 to 5,500 lbs. 22" wheels have 265 / 285 width tires. Not exactly i3 eco bike tires....
Old 09-05-2019 | 03:12 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Model C weighs 5,100 to 5,500 lbs. 22" wheels have 265 / 285 width tires. Not exactly i3 eco bike tires....
I don't doubt the Tesla is more efficient. I think Tesla's in-house drivetrain built on over a decade of experience probably surpasses Porsche's first effort. ...but let's keep it in perspective and not try and use the worst case possible or compare to a Model 3 that weighs 1000lb less.

Quick Reply: 0-60 one second too slow; range 370 miles short