2020 Taycan: First ride, before first drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 11:30 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,726 Likes on 5,123 Posts

I'm just thinking out loud here.

But I wonder if there was any thought to making the Taycan drive less like an EV and more like an ICE.

That is, limit the torque at low RPM, the same way that Ferrari does with its FI engines.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:47 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

1. Why would you want to do that?
2. Probably not due to the nature of electric motors.
3. The two speed gearbox takes care of most of the higher speed acceleration issues.

I'll put it this way. My Model 3, which is not a performance, and certainly not a Model S Performance nor a Taycan, goes 0-60 in about 4.2 seconds. But also, it goes 70-90 in 2.2 seconds. And as I said, that's not a Performance. Also, the thing about EV's is that acceleration control is so precise, it makes a GT3 look laggy. So if you don't want to accelerate hard, just don't push your foot down. It's different than in ICE cars, where you stab your foot, the engine reacts, and then you accelerate. In a powerful EV, you move your foot, and you accelerate. You want more acceleration, you just move your foot more, and it happens. Like NOW.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:03 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,726 Likes on 5,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
1. Why would you want to do that?
2. Probably not due to the nature of electric motors.
3. The two speed gearbox takes care of most of the higher speed acceleration issues.

I'll put it this way. My Model 3, which is not a performance, and certainly not a Model S Performance nor a Taycan, goes 0-60 in about 4.2 seconds. But also, it goes 70-90 in 2.2 seconds. And as I said, that's not a Performance. Also, the thing about EV's is that acceleration control is so precise, it makes a GT3 look laggy. So if you don't want to accelerate hard, just don't push your foot down. It's different than in ICE cars, where you stab your foot, the engine reacts, and then you accelerate. In a powerful EV, you move your foot, and you accelerate. You want more acceleration, you just move your foot more, and it happens. Like NOW.
The difference with an EV and ICE in terms of torque and acceleration is that rate of speed remains constant because the torque curve is flat. In an ICE car, the rate of speed increases because the torque curve is generally upward sloping so the sensation (both actual and otherwise) of speed increases the longer you accelerate.

In an EV, not so much.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:44 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Pete?

Old 09-19-2019, 10:52 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,223 Likes on 602 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The difference with an EV and ICE in terms of torque and acceleration is that rate of speed remains constant because the torque curve is flat. In an ICE car, the rate of speed increases because the torque curve is generally upward sloping so the sensation (both actual and otherwise) of speed increases the longer you accelerate.

In an EV, not so much.
Well, GT3 torque peaks at something like 4.5K-5K RPM and is flat after that, and there is very little reason to be under 4.5K RPM if you care about performance. So torque increasing with RPM situation is rather rare even in an NA ICE engine.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:16 PM
SCPgrom76
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks so much for posting this in depth review!
Old 09-19-2019, 11:16 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 646 Posts

Any updates Stout? I'm looking forward to your review along with Henry Catchpoles. I know the pair of you will call it clean.

When is the cone of silence removed?

Last edited by groundhog; 09-20-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:04 PM
Sulaiman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does it support wireless apple car play ? and does it utilize the full screen on carplay ?? thanks
Old 09-20-2019, 05:07 PM
freqflyer
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

The press embargo lifts on Sept. 24th.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:20 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 610 Posts

Hello all, and greetings from Hamburg, a few hours before I leave for home.

I'm embargoed for driving impressions until 9/24, but have answers for most if not all of the questions posted earlier plus driving impressions to come. In the meantime, a moment of zen...

View this post on Instagram
The following 4 users liked this post by stout:
928cs (09-20-2019), daveo4porsche (09-20-2019), manitou202 (09-20-2019), Needsdecaf (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 06:22 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,886 Posts

I'm looking forward to this more than the Porsche reveal - "open open open open"…
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 06:24 PM
CarMaven
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulaiman
does it support wireless apple car play ? and does it utilize the full screen on carplay ?? thanks
Maybe/Should:

Obviously, I can't answer the full screen question. Sorry.
However, you may find out soon enough by next week (either by reviewers or on Porsche's website), if you can't find it now there.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:49 PM
freqflyer
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulaiman
Go to 2:42. No Carplay but Apple is integrated into the system some how. We will learn more after the embargo.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:09 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,886 Posts

all modern cars have "apps" these days - my 2018 911 GT3 has an "amazon prime music" app - I can play my amazon prime music if I simply enter my amazon name/password into the built-in dash in my GT3 - no different that the built in nav software, or the built in SAT Radio support - it's all an app...

the Apple Music announcement (not carplay/) is nothing more than Apple/Prosche offering an app for The Porsche PCM system that allows you to access/play your music from your Apple Music account, no different that if Porsche offered (or does offer) direct Pandora or Spotify support…

the Apple Music support, means Porsche can play your AppleMusic when you're in the car even if you left your phone behind…and it isn't even in the car - it's a little app that accesses AppleMusic - its actually redundant if you're using CarPlay - just like nav is redundant if you're using AppleMaps, GoogleMaps, or Waze via Car play - the Porsche PCM system is actually a small set of parallel stand alone apps that are becoming increasingly redundant against an app eco-system with a connected mobile device..

For example do you play your SirusXM music via the built in car sat support, or simply use the SirusXM app on your phone the same channels and content are available on both platforms - just two different ways to do the same thing....

for me the writing on the all is clear - the car manufactures can't keep up with Apple or Goolge, and their stuff will and is falling woefully behind - if they simply provide a platform to run CarPlay and AndroidAuto it will become increasingly less important that they have any functionality besides that specific to the car "built in" - and even that could be migrated to an "App" running on the mobile device - this allows them to make a car, and stop doing a really really bad job of keeping up with google/apple in the realm of end user software....but we aren't there yet, but I won't be surprised if we get there pretty soon.

Purchase a car, it does some basic things, if you want any more BYOD - bring your own Device and plug it into the car…

for another example - most TV's these days come with "apps" and Netflix, Amazon, Hulu are app's on these TV's - they are "built in" apps to access these services…

AppleMusic is a built-in App in the Taycan's infotainment system - I have ZERO insider knowledge, but been in tech long enough to know how this all works. And a careful read of the existing Taycan Apple Music Press release tells you all you need to know.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2019...ent-18405.html
Old 09-20-2019, 10:05 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Hello all, and greetings from Hamburg, a few hours before I leave for home.

I'm embargoed for driving impressions until 9/24, but have answers for most if not all of the questions posted earlier plus driving impressions to come. In the meantime, a moment of zen...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2mbYVxF7Ne/
Porsche should trademark ZGT1, ZGT2, ZGT3, ZGT4 and ZGT2 RS, ZGT3 RS, ZGT4 RS. ZG = Zeitgeist, right language at the right time and appropriate.

First and foremost we know they have the performance equation licked - however, I suspect for many of us - the key and most simple question is how does the Taycan drive? Where is it positioned Cayman, Carrera, Panny like - is there useful feedback through the wheel, does it brake like a Porsche (the regen braking is a given) e.g. can you modulate and trail brake effectively and ultimately how much punishment can the car take, how does it transition and rebalance - all markers for what is further down the pipeline.

For me its all about the drive, does it give you an experience you can connect with as a Porsche owner - and ultimately is it an emotive experience, like climbing a mountain you simply want to do it because its there e.g. will I wake up on a Sunday morning and look at a 720S, 991.2 GT3 RS, 981 GTS and a Taycan and say to myself "gonna take the Taycan through the twisties"

Looking forward to the review.

Last edited by groundhog; 09-20-2019 at 10:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 2020 Taycan: First ride, before first drive