Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

CPO Warranty Cost for my current Spyder- or other options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 12:07 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CPO Warranty Cost for my current Spyder- or other options?

Hey Guys,

My Spyder's warranty will be coming to an end late May. I only have 11k miles on it. I am curious if anyone knows the cost to have the car CPO'd to extend warranty, or instead go to an outside source for and extended warranty.

Or-
Roll the dice since I don't put that many miles on it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:22 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Don't think you can CPO your own car.

Aftermarket will exceed $4k.

Roll the dice. But drive it. Put $4,000 under your mattress, and spend as needed.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan

Roll the dice. But drive it. Put $4,000 under your mattress, and spend as needed.
+1

Not driving it is not going to mean that it won't break when you do. $4000 is a lot of money to spend on insurance.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:28 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm in the same boat. My warranty expires in May as well. IIRC, it's the bump to bumper warranty that expires after 4 years. Doesn't the powertrain warranty go out to 6 years?
Old 03-25-2014, 01:40 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 67 Posts

My local dealership told me $2500. PM since I think you are also in Bay Area and I can give you more details...
Old 03-25-2014, 03:32 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Plavan
I am curious if anyone knows the cost to have the car CPO'd to extend warranty
Originally Posted by LexVan
Correct. You can't CPO your own car. A Porsche dealer has to buy it from you, CPO it, and then sell it back to you. The dealer's cost on a CPO warranty from Porsche is currently in excess of $2K but less than $3K (it used to be just over $2K in 2011 when I last checked). The dealer labor to do the certification should be in excess of $500, which is extra to you. And CPO usually requires dealer to put new tires all around (liability issue). Then you have to negotiate what to pay the dealer for going through all of this for you! $500 to $1000 is the typical 'additional' charge. This whole CPO process (for only 2 more years & extra mileage) for a car already owned by you doesn't make much sense in state with high sales taxes and registration fees...like California. As you can see, the CPO program was really set up to help the dealers sell relative new Porsches by giving them a short period (2 years) of 'warranty', especially for those whose original factory coverage were about to expire.

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Doesn't the powertrain warranty go out to 6 years?
Under the Porsche factory warranty for US/Canada, the answer to extended power train warranty is 'no'.

------------------------------

Warranty Periods

The warranty periods begin on the day of delivery to the customer. The following periods apply:

4 year / 50,000 mls (80,000 km) warranty for all new vehicles whichever occurs first*;

2-year warranty for genuine Porsche parts, exchange parts and accessories, which are used or sold outside of warranty work. The warranty period for Porsche parts which are used in connection with warranty work ends contemporaneously with the warranty period for the purchased item which has become defective;

12-year long-life warranty against rust holes in the bodyshell. (please refer to the conditions in the Warranty and Maintenance handbook)

Certified Pre-Owned Warranty is 2 years / 100,000 mls (160,000 km), once the vehicle is outside the original vehicle warranty period.

Warranty can be claimed from any Porsche partner across the world.

*Applies for vehicles purchased and registered in the USA and Canada (outside the USA and Canada 2 years / unlimited miles).

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...rrantyperiods/

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Last edited by Z356; 03-25-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:34 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Under the Porsche factory warranty for US/Canada, the answer to extended power train warranty is 'no'.
Well, that's a bummer. Thanks, Ed.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:12 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the boat too, I took a page from the self insured approach but instead of a mattress I put some money in a fund I like with the intention of using it on the Spyder.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:07 AM
Tommy 5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z356
Correct. You can't CPO your own car. .
Eduardo, this is not true. At least in Canada. Perhaps in the USA it is, or more specifically in California. But I can't see Canadians ever getting a 'better deal' than Americans.

I ordered my car from the factory and picked it up in April 2012. I was told at the time of delivery that I could purchase the CPO within the first year without having to pay for any shop labor charges. If the CPO was purchased after the first year, I would have to pay for about 2 hours of shop time for the CPO inspection, in addition to the cost of the CPO. In April 2013 I purchased the CPO. It was about $3,200 CDN, which is about $59 US...

Tommy
Old 03-27-2014, 01:52 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy 5
Eduardo, this is not true. At least in Canada. Perhaps in the USA it is, or more specifically in California. But I can't see Canadians ever getting a 'better deal' than Americans.

I ordered my car from the factory and picked it up in April 2012. I was told at the time of delivery that I could purchase the CPO within the first year without having to pay for any shop labor charges. If the CPO was purchased after the first year, I would have to pay for about 2 hours of shop time for the CPO inspection, in addition to the cost of the CPO. In April 2013 I purchased the CPO. It was about $3,200 CDN, which is about $59 US...

Tommy
You might want to edit your post.

$3200 CDN is around $2900 US currently. Not really any different than what Eduardo was saying. The exact amount will vary…cost of the inspection, how little profit the dealer is willing to make. The point is you add the above amount plus you will have to pay sales tax in the US which can be zero in a few states up to 9% plus in a number of states. Does not really make sense if you have had the car for awhile and already been through several service intervals.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:48 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Eduardo is correct that you cannot CPO your own car (in the US), as a car can only be CPO'd when owned by a Porsche dealer. Aside from selling your car to the dealer and buying it back, the only loophole is if you lease your car and buy it out. You can either buy it directly from PFS without CPO, or buy it through a Porsche dealer and, as Eduardo stated, pay the PCNA fee charged to the dealer for CPO, plus the service department inspection cost, any wear items not under warranty (brakes, tires, etc.) to qualify it for CPO, and usually an admin fee on top of that to cover the dealer's cost to process the sale (DMV paperwork, etc.).

I was investigating all of this last year when the lease was up on my Spyder. I believe it was $2,950 for the CPO, $300-500 for the service department, depending on dealer (5k mile car with major service done in the last 1k), and $0-500 for admin depending on dealer. So $3,500-$4,000 to CPO the car. And, yes, probably a new set of tires.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:18 AM
Tommy 5
Instructor

Originally Posted by il pirata
You might want to edit your post.

$3200 CDN is around $2900 US currently. Not really any different than what Eduardo was saying. The exact amount will vary…cost of the inspection, how little profit the dealer is willing to make. The point is you add the above amount plus you will have to pay sales tax in the US which can be zero in a few states up to 9% plus in a number of states. Does not really make sense if you have had the car for awhile and already been through several service intervals.
il pirata, you are correct. What Eduardo said is no different than what I was saying. This is what I get for posting early in the morning before having a coffee. I end up in that special place of illiteracy, ignorance and stupidity; that place normally occupied by the average politician on any given day.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:39 AM
perretar
Rennlist Member

Just for grins I got a quote from Direct Buy on my '08 Boxster with 33,000 miles, CPO expires July this year. $2400 for 3 year / 45K miles.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:22 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

HEADS UP!

A quick word of warning. Certain Porsche dealerships started a new tactic a few years ago of pimping customers whose warranties were about to expire. The way they worded it was very tactful (aka Tricky). It was worded and priced, so the customer could easily assume they were buying a CPO warranty. But in fact, what they were offering was a third party extended warranty, that was NOT Porsche CPO in ANY way.

Don't be fooled, as stated above the ONLY way you will get a CPO after the fact, is to sell your car to the dealer first.

Quick Reply: CPO Warranty Cost for my current Spyder- or other options?