Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

981 Boxster Spyder / Cayman R

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014 | 10:10 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

That definitely sounds like a 4. At least it sounds pretty good, maybe a little weak sounding for such a big car but might be just right in a 981.
Old 04-01-2014 | 10:25 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by navanoD
I can't tell. It barely makes any noise...
Old 04-16-2014 | 09:51 AM
blue44
Rennlist Member

with the premiere of the Boxster GTS, maybe the Spyder will not be repeated in the 981 series...

http://press.porsche.com/media/galle...er_Cayman_GTS/

Donn
Old 04-16-2014 | 12:02 PM
cgt04115
Racer

I drove a 2000 Boxster S for years. This car rocked, small and nimble.

The new 981's are gigantic by comparison. Inside and out. Totally changes the feel of the car in a bad way. Looks great, but too big for a tiny 2 seat roadster.
Old 04-16-2014 | 10:59 PM
Aerowerke
Instructor

I think we will definitely see another Spyder/Cayman R for the 981 at some point. The GTS isn't as focused as many would like, more like a nice option package with a hp bump. There is definietly the market for a more focused 981 than the GTS and I think it is definitely coming... hopefully before the inevitable loss of the flat-6 in the 981.
Old 04-17-2014 | 04:46 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

I can't tell from that clip, especially on pc speakers. It makes sense to create a larger delineation in their product offering, then they can drive the large premiums on the 911. This will kill the hopped up Cayman and Boxster cars, the motor mounts and transmissions will make it much harder to retro stuff a six back in making the 911 harder to reach by after market means. Additionally, they can accomplish this while creating cars that will attract an entire new audience and position Porsche to make a non S, basic sports car to compete where they currently have no offering whilst also meeting established industry mileage targets. Who knows, they might even de-tune one of these engines, slip it in a reinvented Rabbit or Scirrocco and let VW slug it out. I never had the pleasure of driving a 951, but every word I ever read about them seemed to indicate they were equal in thrills to 911 offerings. I did own a 944 NA and I loved the thing, the AC was weak and stole too much valuable engine power but other than that it was a great sports coupe. The 944 was a car with a very special feel and the old recaro sport seats were way better than 986 seats, not even a contest.

Last edited by terbiumactivated; 04-17-2014 at 05:28 AM.
Old 04-17-2014 | 03:10 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

If they use a flat 4 in the 981, or better yet if they create a smaller lighter platform for a flat 4, Porsche needs to keep it simple and lightweight.
Most modern cars seem to be heavier and more laden with electronic nannies and creature comforts.

But take a look at what the major car manufacturers are doing with their line of $15K to $18K cars. They use much of the modern suspension, engine management, and materials science technology of their premium models to create a lightweight, efficient, and much less costly car line.

Porsche could do this, especially with the relationship with VW, and the resulting car could be a blast to drive. Not the fastest, not the most capable on a racetrack, but the "feel" of the car when driving could be just as good or better. More raw with better interaction with your senses of feel, hearing, etc.
Old 04-17-2014 | 08:12 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spokayman
If they use a flat 4 in the 981, or better yet if they create a smaller lighter platform for a flat 4, Porsche needs to keep it simple and lightweight.
Most modern cars seem to be heavier and more laden with electronic nannies and creature comforts.

But take a look at what the major car manufacturers are doing with their line of $15K to $18K cars. They use much of the modern suspension, engine management, and materials science technology of their premium models to create a lightweight, efficient, and much less costly car line.

Porsche could do this, especially with the relationship with VW, and the resulting car could be a blast to drive. Not the fastest, not the most capable on a racetrack, but the "feel" of the car when driving could be just as good or better. More raw with better interaction with your senses of feel, hearing, etc.
It will be interesting to see if Porsche actually follows through with a raw, reduced luxury sports car which is primarily focused on the driving experience. Judging by the direct all the other cars they make are going I don't see this happening. I think the only way to get this experience is to either buy/restore older cars or look at the very low volume automakers. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 05-08-2014 | 06:48 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/05/por...-cylinder.html

Quick Reply: 981 Boxster Spyder / Cayman R