Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014 | 09:23 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Default Spyder wheels

Thought I'd ask the group for some wisdom here.
My Boxster Spyder has the regular silver wheels and I now want black wheels. This is a "forever" car so resale doesn't impact decision (for me at least, who knows what my kids will do with it) but I'm wondering whether I should paint the current wheels (or to be more precise, have them painted or powdercoated) or just go ahead and buy a set of b;ack OZ Formula HLT at tire rack that look pretty much identical to the original spyder wheels and keep the originals in a box for later - when I get bored of black and want silver again...
What do you all thing? Paint/powder coat the originals or don't mess with the original and buy a set of OZ ?
Looks like there's a grand of delta and 4 big boxes of space in the garage between the options...
Wadda ya'll say ?
Old 02-06-2014 | 09:40 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would buy the OZ's and keep the Spyder wheels in a box. 10 years from now you may want the car back to original.

I plan on changing the trim and wheel color on my Spyder eventually, I intend to buy all new pieces for the intakes and wheels and then have the old ones repainted. That way I can easily switch between the colors by simply changing the parts and the sticker.
Old 02-06-2014 | 10:18 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

If you have the space get the OZs especially if you ever track the car. I dinged up my CRs Spyder wheels in a slight agricultural excursion. Then I bought a set of OZs. Wish I'd done it sooner.
Old 02-06-2014 | 11:06 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Agree get the OZ and keep OEM for future just in case.
Old 02-07-2014 | 03:44 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

The gloss black OEM Spyder wheels with silver lip are hard to beat. I've seen a number of posts from race shops prepping Cayman Rs who will sell the OEMs for a reasonable price. Buying from Porsche is nearly impossible and ludicrously cost prohibitive.

Having them painted is doable, but find a talented shop. It's a lot of work to get the lip looking right. Budget about $1,200 to paint them correctly. Or just powder coat without the lip for much less.

OZ's are awesome for track. As the only set of street wheels, not so much IMHO.
Old 02-07-2014 | 01:50 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wheel Techniques in Campbell will paint them with the oem-looking lip for $200/wheel. They did an excellent job imho, if the OP is still considering that option. Also agree with the others that a second set of wheels is the way to go.
Old 02-07-2014 | 03:02 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone. Seems like a second set it will be. Good to have the options to switch looks over the years!
Old 02-07-2014 | 03:17 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Don't forget to keep an eye on the parts section on this site, I have seen some eye popping deals on really great wheels.

PS "agricultural excursion" that's a good one. I don't care what the paper statistics say, the Spyder has a little "wild horse" to it and if not respected I can see how one could go on said side trip.
Old 02-07-2014 | 05:46 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with Afshin
Old 02-07-2014 | 11:20 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
Don't forget to keep an eye on the parts section on this site, I have seen some eye popping deals on really great wheels.

PS "agricultural excursion" that's a good one. I don't care what the paper statistics say, the Spyder has a little "wild horse" to it and if not respected I can see how one could go on said side trip.
I have looked just about every day for many years (I was a subscriber back when it was a BBS...) and haven't seen anything that would work for the street.
Agricultural excursions are not uncommon. In my 996GT3RSR I once litterally mowed the lawn at the exit of Copse at Silverstone... Looked like a golf club mower had come through, took the mechanics hours to get all the crap back from the meshes and the flat bottom... I was NOT popular that day...
Old 02-08-2014 | 05:55 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

terbium, I think zedcat meant going off at the track, where going "agricultural" is pretty common.
Old 02-08-2014 | 06:13 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by the_vetman
terbium, I think zedcat meant going off at the track, where going "agricultural" is pretty common.
Lmao!
Old 02-08-2014 | 07:54 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Yep. I was at MSR Cresson (near Ft Worth). First time at that track and just missed track out at Little Bend IIRC. 2 wheels off but man some rough crap there. All on me, not the car.

Recently saw a T shirt at a TWS DE for "Four off Landscaping" Had to laugh at that.
Old 02-08-2014 | 11:38 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by zedcat
Yep. I was at MSR Cresson (near Ft Worth). First time at that track and just missed track out at Little Bend IIRC. 2 wheels off but man some rough crap there. All on me, not the car. Recently saw a T shirt at a TWS DE for "Four off Landscaping" Had to laugh at that.
Blipshift makes the best shirts. I have several of them.
Old 02-09-2014 | 12:14 AM
john weires
Pro

I took delivery of a white 2011 Spyder with the silver wheels and wanted black.
I had the Porsche dealer powder coat them black. They look great and have
held up well after 5500 miles and almost four years of ownership.
I have not seen the OZ wheels, but if you want the stock wheels to be black,
it's possible to have them done to Porsche factory levels of quality by
your Porsche dealer. I think it cost me around $1200 dollars to have it done
as part of the deal of buying the car.

Quick Reply: Spyder wheels