Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Boxster Spyder - one of the greatest cars ever?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 03:54 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster Spyder - one of the greatest cars ever?

I hopped in my 2012 Spyder this morning after a long hiatus from driving it. In the meantime I've spent a lot of seat time in my 2013 M5 and 2009 Aston DBS. I realize they are all very different cars, but the Spyder just destroys everything else I've ever owned, many of which were far more expensive automobiles. It's just a delight to the senses. So communicative, light, agile and the short shift kit is perfection.

I'm also on the list for the upcoming GT3, but just can't imagine the PDK-S putting a smile on my face like this tranny. Here's to optimism about all the technology "advances".

Regardless, the Spyder is a keeper for life
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2013, 05:08 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

hi Rob,

The Sypder is the most desirable boxster for me too..

On the GT3: Yes a GT3 could be at least on par with that with regards to driving pleasure...whether the new 991 GT3 can do that..not many people have driven it. My advice: test drive a 997 GT3 (manual of course)..and report back..
Old 07-21-2013, 06:28 PM
weneversleep
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because I recently started a high-end sports car dealership, I've been driving a wide variety of cars around. Mostly Ferraris: 355, 360, 430. Also 911s, Boxsters, and Caymans.

However, even after driving these cars, if I'm honest with myself, I wouldn't trade my (personally owned) Boxster Spyder for any of them. Sure, it's a great experience to drive a Ferrari, but the BSpyder just "speaks" to me. From the seating position to the handling to the engine sound to the overall look, it's just exactly what I want.

So, yes, I agree. I think it IS one of the greatest cars ever.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:45 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never driven a Ferrari and it was a bucket list item but since buying the Spyder I feel like it's already crossed off.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:20 PM
jabbey
Advanced

I haven't had the opportunity to own anything different, but when that day comes, it won't be replacing the Spyder. Porsche did a great thing with the Spyder and I feel very fortunate to have one to call my own.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:55 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jabbey
I haven't had the opportunity to own anything different, but when that day comes, it won't be replacing the Spyder. Porsche did a great thing with the Spyder and I feel very fortunate to have one to call my own.
If I didn't know how meticulous Porsche is I would believe they surprised even themselves with how the Spyder performed once completed.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:06 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys, I just picked up a Spyder yesterday so I am very happy to see this thread. Pics to come! Very different to my 997 and I love it already..

Quick question, I have the Porsche OEM SSK in my 997, and I find the Spyder's 6sp MT just about perfect. Is the Spyder already fitted with an SSK from the factory, or was it an option?
Old 07-22-2013, 06:42 PM
jabbey
Advanced

Originally Posted by svb

Quick question, I have the Porsche OEM SSK in my 997, and I find the Spyder's 6sp MT just about perfect. Is the Spyder already fitted with an SSK from the factory, or was it an option?
An option, but not standard. It can be done after the fact though.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:21 AM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by svb
Hey guys, I just picked up a Spyder yesterday so I am very happy to see this thread. Pics to come! Very different to my 997 and I love it already..

I had Hoehn install the SSK for me and it is lights out good. At first I thought it was too notchy, but either it broke in or I did - the accuracy is greatly increased for fast shifts with the SSK. Come drive mine if you want to check it out svb.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:32 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

The Boxster Spyder is truely a great sports car, my favorite street car of the P-cars I've owned to date. I was thinking of selling it and getting something new, but after driving it for the past month I'm having second thoughts, such a fun car to drive.

Last edited by Polarporsche; 07-23-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:26 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds good on the SSK, thanks for the advice. Here she is!

Last edited by svb; 08-06-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:13 PM
Janko
Rennlist Member

Looks great! Congrats! Still can't get over how much I love my 12!
Old 07-24-2013, 12:56 AM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

How many hours of labor did they charge to install? I have one that's been sitting in the garage for a few months, and will be at the dealership for annual service in a few weeks.

Originally Posted by RobSpyder
I had Hoehn install the SSK for me and it is lights out good. At first I thought it was too notchy, but either it broke in or I did - the accuracy is greatly increased for fast shifts with the SSK. Come drive mine if you want to check it out svb.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:20 AM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave I
How many hours of labor did they charge to install? I have one that's been sitting in the garage for a few months, and will be at the dealership for annual service in a few weeks.
Don't recall exactly. It was less than I expected. Whole thing including parts was $300 something, I believe.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:41 PM
pjmachineco

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Spyder has 22000 miles and it keeps getting better.
It is great on the track and at autocross.

Quick Reply: Boxster Spyder - one of the greatest cars ever?