Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

I'm in drank the Koolaide

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 03:08 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 930man
This may be the craziest move I have made, i just put a deposit down on a 2012 Cayman R Black Black with carbon seats and 6 speed PSE, drove it around the block and it was more fun than the 991s... its no GT3 but Im tired of waiting on the 991 GT3, have a spot for one but it looks like a year away still.

I have always been a track guy so i hope all the Hype Ive read will come true, wish me luck!

Merry Christmas to me, all I wanted was a new Bell & Ross lol
Matt, congratulations, the Cayman R is a great car, for the price (including the Porsche tax), it is one of the best values out there.

Given your pace around VIR, you will notice a few things:

1- PSM is very intrusive on corner exit, cutting off the power and applying brakes to the rear wheels, this is with PSM-off.
2- Inside wheel spin if running on R6 or stickier tires
3- brake fade

You won't notice:
4- engine overheating
5- transmission overheating

1- is an easy fix, send me a PM

2- GT Gears (former Paul Guard's company) has the fix and cheap.

3- On my 07 Cayman S, I added the 997.2 GT3 RS cooling ducts ($30 cheap), Endless brake fluid which tolerates more heat than the fluid I used for 8 years (Castrol SRF), and I run on Pagid RS29. Check with PFC if they offer the PFC-08 for the front and PFC-06 for the rear axle. I still get brake fade on hot days driving at my pace. The best fix is a set of GT3 front calipers with 350mm front rotors.

4- The dashboard needle is misleading, always in the middle (supposedly around 210 degrees on coolant temperatures), but as soon as I connected by AiM Data logger to the ECU, I got actual coolant and engine temperatures, coolant over 230 degrees, engine oil over 265 degrees. A good friend with a 9A1 Cayman S suffered from overheating as well, and another friend with a 991S is also suffering. The fix is simple and affordable, a 3rd radiator

5- A few race shops have developed a transmission cooler, I don't have one, after 20 minutes of track driving, I can't find my gears anymore, the shifter becomes vague and you need finesse to engage gears. Easy and affordable fix.

On Hoosiers R6, it should be capable of 2:13s at VIR on your hands. It is an easy car to drive fast, but it lacks aero, it doesn't keep the corner speed of the GT3RS, and it lacks on power.

It is a more fun car than a 991, I agree, and at current 991 prices, twice as much as a Cayman R, it is hard to justify the difference.

I'm not a Cayman supporter of the 06-08 models, due to the power steering issues and engine issues, but the 2009+ Cayman are ok cars.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:57 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Once Matt gets the car sorted he should be under 2:13.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:46 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Matt, congratulations, the Cayman R is a great car, for the price (including the Porsche tax), it is one of the best values out there.

Given your pace around VIR, you will notice a few things:

1- PSM is very intrusive on corner exit, cutting off the power and applying brakes to the rear wheels, this is with PSM-off.
2- Inside wheel spin if running on R6 or stickier tires
3- brake fade

You won't notice:
4- engine overheating
5- transmission overheating

1- is an easy fix, send me a PM

2- GT Gears (former Paul Guard's company) has the fix and cheap.

3- On my 07 Cayman S, I added the 997.2 GT3 RS cooling ducts ($30 cheap), Endless brake fluid which tolerates more heat than the fluid I used for 8 years (Castrol SRF), and I run on Pagid RS29. Check with PFC if they offer the PFC-08 for the front and PFC-06 for the rear axle. I still get brake fade on hot days driving at my pace. The best fix is a set of GT3 front calipers with 350mm front rotors.

4- The dashboard needle is misleading, always in the middle (supposedly around 210 degrees on coolant temperatures), but as soon as I connected by AiM Data logger to the ECU, I got actual coolant and engine temperatures, coolant over 230 degrees, engine oil over 265 degrees. A good friend with a 9A1 Cayman S suffered from overheating as well, and another friend with a 991S is also suffering. The fix is simple and affordable, a 3rd radiator

5- A few race shops have developed a transmission cooler, I don't have one, after 20 minutes of track driving, I can't find my gears anymore, the shifter becomes vague and you need finesse to engage gears. Easy and affordable fix.

On Hoosiers R6, it should be capable of 2:13s at VIR on your hands. It is an easy car to drive fast, but it lacks aero, it doesn't keep the corner speed of the GT3RS, and it lacks on power.

It is a more fun car than a 991, I agree, and at current 991 prices, twice as much as a Cayman R, it is hard to justify the difference.

I'm not a Cayman supporter of the 06-08 models, due to the power steering issues and engine issues, but the 2009+ Cayman are ok cars.
Interesting....
I am in a Spyder but I would suspect it would be similar.
1. I honestly have not had this experience in the absolute sense. I have run with PSM in Sport mode and usually have only minor intrusion. It certainly is abrupt AT TIMES but not all the time. With PSM off I dont recall it interfering.
I wonder if the cayman behaves differently due to the stiffer chassis??

2. I was running on Hankook z214 and dont recall this problem either.

3. No brake fade for me. I was running Pagid RS19 with SRF fluid. I have not changed the master cylinder either.
- I just got a set of PFC 08 fronts and 06 rears and plan to try them next time.
- will GT3 calipers fit without changing the uprights??

4. Yes I agree. I had the temps climb the worst when I was on somebody's bumper for a few laps with no clean airflow. I just ordered the 3rd radiator kit from Suncoast and plan on installing before the next track day.

5. I havent had trouble with getting it in gear but I havent run more than a 30 minute session. But I would still be interested in a trans cooler if it helps prolong the life of the trans.

As for lap times I would suspect Matt and I will be pretty similar although he may be a bit faster now. I was running 2;10's and 2;11's on Nitto NT01 with a stock alignment. On the Hankooks I had a couple 2;07s and a bunch of 2;08's with a slightly better alignment. And I am pretty confident on a cooler day 2;06 and maybe even a 2;05 is achievable on fresh Hoosiers.
I think these cars are incredibly capable and its almost scary that they are this fast around VIR. I remember the days when a 2;05 in a 996GT3 on slicks was considered fast.

Matt- I am looking forward to running with you at VIR next month for the Zone 2 DE.
If you want a set of inexpensive 18" wheels check out the Victor Equipment Inssbruck wheels. They are pretty light and pretty cheap. I am pretty happy with them. Discount Tire can get them for like $320 a wheel. They are "rotary forged" and so far they have held up well for me. 18x8 fronts and 18x10 rears is what I have.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:36 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
As for lap times I would suspect Matt and I will be pretty similar although he may be a bit faster now. I was running 2;10's and 2;11's on Nitto NT01 with a stock alignment. On the Hankooks I had a couple 2;07s and a bunch of 2;08's with a slightly better alignment. And I am pretty confident on a cooler day 2;06 and maybe even a 2;05 is achievable on fresh Hoosiers.
I think these cars are incredibly capable and its almost scary that they are this fast around VIR. I remember the days when a 2;05 in a 996GT3 on slicks was considered fast.
I have to second Matt (GT3 Nut) here. I don't know him personally but I physically timed him last year. Sub-2:11s only to later find out (here) that his car was essentially stock with just NT-01s!!! Not even extra negative camber!! He was "blowing by" GT3 RSs... (only race cars and V8 Atoms were faster)

What that shows: 1) Matt is a marvelous driver , 2) Spyder/Rs are very, very capable.

p.s. I've never had brake fade either with Pagid Yellows (RS29s), but I'm not on the same planet as far as some of you guys are concerned. 3rd radiator, however, is going in (sitting next to me in the living room). BTW, PDK cars are another story as far as overheating is concerned.....

p.s. 2 The only places at VIR where I felt PSM was intrusive were coming out of Hogpen and at the top of the Esses. However, I believe better drivers than I can surely smooth those out and be quicker and smoother (e.g. Matt).

Enjoy your R!! See you guys around in my street tires (perhaps why PSM was intrusive) !!
Old 03-01-2013, 10:05 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But Matt E is better than me! Lol! We used to have fun in the 996 Gt3's!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 10:12 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Sweet ride. Congrats!

Quick Reply: I'm in drank the Koolaide