Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder next to new 981S

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 12:43 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Spyder next to new 981S

So my buddy picked up his new 981S today. Suffice to say, he's elated. I've got to say the car looks fantastic. The color combo he picked is perfect. Forget GT silver. I had a chance to compare his platinum silver next to a 997 in GT silver, and the Platinum Silver looks better. No idea why you would pay the extra money for GT silver. I got the chance to drive the car around a bit, but kept the rpms below 5k for the break in period. Even though it was only tame driving around town, I learned more about the car than I did in the 20 frantic seconds they gave me at the Porsche world roadshow. Here are my thoughts:

1) Very nice engine growl coming from the intakes. I don't hear that in the spyder.
2) There's a nice bark/burble you get from the exhaust with quick/higher revs. I love it. The 987s do NOT make this noise. It's needs to be LOUDER. Get PSE if you can. Stock exhaust isn't loud enough.
3) Suspension is very nice/compliant. The car is equipped with PASM, and even in sport mode it is less harsh than the spyder suspension
4) I don't notice the electric steering being an issue AT ALL. Perhaps I can't feel every pebble I run over at low speeds, but I don't think that takes anything away from the driving experience. I think the steering works WELL.
5) The infamous brake pedal. Yes, it still does NOT have a rock solid endpoint like the 986 did or the GT3s do. However, it does feel more firm than my spyder did today. I might be because I recently came back from a track day and haven't bled out the lines yet.
6) When the spoiler is popped up, it looks GOOD. Keep it up all all times!
7) I can't wait until the car is broken in to start really testing it out.

Here are pics. Enjoy:

Old 11-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

would love to see pix
Old 11-03-2012, 11:34 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 942 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
So my buddy picked up his new 981S today. Suffice to say, he's elated. I've got to say the car looks fantastic. The color combo he picked is perfect. Forget GT silver. I had a chance to compare his platinum silver next to a 997 in GT silver, and the Platinum Silver looks better. No idea why you would pay the extra money for GT silver. I got the chance to drive the car around a bit, but kept the rpms below 5k for the break in period. Even though it was only tame driving around town, I learned more about the car than I did in the 20 frantic seconds they gave me at the Porsche world roadshow. Here are my thoughts:

1) Very nice engine growl coming from the intakes. I don't hear that in the spyder.
2) There's a nice bark/burble you get from the exhaust with quick/higher revs. I love it. The 987s do NOT make this noise. It's needs to be LOUDER. Get PSE if you can. Stock exhaust isn't loud enough.
3) Suspension is very nice/compliant. The car is equipped with PASM, and even in sport mode it is less harsh than the spyder suspension
4) I don't notice the electric steering being an issue AT ALL. Perhaps I can't feel every pebble I run over at low speeds, but I don't think that takes anything away from the driving experience. I think the steering works WELL.
5) The infamous brake pedal. Yes, it still does NOT have a rock solid endpoint like the 986 did or the GT3s do. However, it does feel more firm than my spyder did today. I might be because I recently came back from a track day and haven't bled out the lines yet.
6) When the spoiler is popped up, it looks GOOD. Keep it up all all times!
7) I can't wait until the car is broken in to start really testing it out.
After three months of ownership, I agree with most of your points. (Can't comment on PASM- I don't have it). I was nervous about the steering, but realized I had driven the car for weeks before even taking notice. It's a non issue for me. Also, life after break in is an entirely different experience, these engines sing above 4500 rpm.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:34 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

removed. original images back

Last edited by orthojoe; 11-03-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:38 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

removed. original images back

Last edited by orthojoe; 11-03-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:40 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

removed

Last edited by orthojoe; 11-03-2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: original images back
Old 11-03-2012, 11:48 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I like the color combo and especially the RED!
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2012, 12:33 PM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Chris the owner? Will it be tracked at Thill? I agree about your assessment on the electric steering and as a bonus it will be much more reliable than a hydraulic system for track use. Great looking car.

Last edited by bensf; 11-03-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-03-2012, 12:41 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Ben, no Chris is not the owner. You haven't met Brett yet. Don't worry. I'm working on him. He'll succumb in all due time.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

It may have been me. This morning on my Mac I could not see pix in the o.p., but I see them now from the office pc. Sorry if it was a waste of your time. I like the cars!
Old 11-03-2012, 01:27 PM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911
It may have been me. This morning on my Mac I could not see pix in the o.p., but I see them now from the office pc. Sorry if it was a waste of your time. I like the cars!
It wasn't you. I couldn't see the pictures either earlier today but works now.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:41 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Domer911
No worries, it wasn't you. I think there may have been a problem with the image hosting server, but it's working now.

Last edited by orthojoe; 11-03-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:56 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by clutchplate
(Can't comment on PASM- I don't have it). I was nervous about the steering, but realized I had driven the car for weeks before even taking notice. It's a non issue for me. Also, life after break in is an entirely different experience, these engines sing above 4500 rpm.
Do you think this PASM equipped 981 looks any lower than your nonPASM 981? It's supposed to be 10mm lower.

Yeah, the spyder doesn't start to sing until above 4500rpm as well. I can't wait to hear what it sounds like on the 981 when it is broken in.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Great pictures Joe and thank you for posting your observations.

I took my Spyder in for its oil change and brake fluid flush and while there I was given an opportunity to take a Boxster S MT out for a drive alone. Three things really stood out for me.

1. The exhaust note without PSE sounded fantastic! It was definitely present and very nice sounding. I would go as far as to say it sounded better than my Spyder with PSE. I can't imagine how good PSE must sound.

2. The shifter is perfect! There is a pronounced difference in feel and the throw is shortened to just the right amount. It had more of a mechanical feel yet it was smooth like my Spyder. I liked it better. The salesman stated that the 981 uses the PDK gearbox and configures it for MT, I've read otherwise but after feeling this I have to wonder if he's right. There really is a pronounce difference.

3. The car felt bigger. I think it had to do with the front fender being wider and making the car feel bigger.

Overall I was very impressed with it and if the Spyder didn't exist I would be seriously considering one.

I'll end it by saying that I won't be trading the Spyder for it, I just love it too much. The package feels so right to me and I really am smitten with it.

If anyone is looking for a nice Boxster S let me know, this one was Silver with black interior.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:14 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Great pictures Joe and thank you for posting your observations.
Thanks, man!

1. The exhaust note without PSE sounded fantastic! It was definitely present and very nice sounding. I would go as far as to say it sounded better than my Spyder with PSE. I can't imagine how good PSE must sound.
I agree. I tried to convince my friend to get PSE, but he couldn't justify it. I'd love to hear how PSE sounds with this new engine/exhaust tone. I wonder what Porsche did to add the bark/burble...

2. The shifter is perfect! There is a pronounced difference in feel and the throw is shortened to just the right amount. It had more of a mechanical feel yet it was smooth like my Spyder. I liked it better. The salesman stated that the 981 uses the PDK gearbox and configures it for MT, I've read otherwise but after feeling this I have to wonder if he's right. There really is a pronounce difference.
Don't listen to the salesguy. Again, they don't know what they are talking about. I've never met one yet that did. The 991 7 spd manual gearbox is based off PDK, NOT the 981 gearbox. I do agree that the 981 shifter feels GOOD.

3. The car felt bigger. I think it had to do with the front fender being wider and making the car feel bigger.
I drove behind the car on the way back home from the dealer and noted that the car is definitely wider. It's a good look.

Overall I was very impressed with it and if the Spyder didn't exist I would be seriously considering one.
Agree!

Quick Reply: Spyder next to new 981S