Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

over reaction- spyder oil change ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 10:24 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
You guys do realize that the only way anything bad would come up on the DME is if the guy money shifted the car, right? If OP has PDK, then it's not even possible to get a bad DME. Revving like a mad man and bouncing off the rev limiter will not result in any bad DME report. Besides, even if it did show up anything bad, how can you prove that the over-rev didn't occur before the service?

There are two camps here:
1) understands what these cars are, how they work, knows what they are built to do
2) love to baby their car, live in fear/paranoia, and rarely give themselves the opportunity to enjoy the car

Choose which camp you belong in, and follow that camp's advice.
I don't think that your assessment is unfair. As I posted earlier I have never met a tech, and I use to be one, that would abuse a car. As much as the owners of high performance cars love their cars, techs who work on them day in day out, week in week out, month in month out, don't exactly get their thrills taking one on a drive. Moreover, a tech would have been released by the dealership at which I woked if he were caught abusing a customer's car. My guess is that since the customer was waiting, the tech brought the engine up to normal operating temperature quickly to lessen the customer's wait.

Nevertheless, the owner of the car has the right to request that his car not be driven without his specific permission, and I have no doubt that any dealership would honor his request.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:20 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
rotfl, no its not.

The only type of person that would say such things has probably never been within 10 feet of a race car.
Give me a friggin break, you know what I mean, stop being a such a smug ***.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech
Give me a friggin break, you know what I mean, stop being a such a smug ***.
no in fact, I have no clue what you mean

Is it that since its a "race car" it can handle 4500rpm (which just about any gasoline car build in the last 30 years can)?

What was your point?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:45 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have two points, now.

1. It's a car built with the track in mind. Since you can "race" anything that moves (even a tortise and a hare), and it's a car, I think I'm ok to call it a race car in the amatuer definition of the word.

2. You're being a *****, just for the sake of being a *****. Did I say/imply it was a "cup car", an "F1", "Indy"?? No, that's your narrow minded interpretation.

But since I've only been 11ft from a "real" race car, obviously we will all have to defer to your all knowing expertise.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:35 PM
streaydog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last time I had my oil changed it was between services and I had to tell them (after 5K) that I wanted it done. I ALWAYS hang out in the work area while they work on my car. Yep I'm that dude who is asking questions and watching every move. Not that I'm trying to second guess him because my dealership looks like they know what they are doing. Plus I'm looking at all the other cool Porshes in the shop. Way better than sitting watching CNN. Anyway, never have they taking my car for a spin afterwards. And if they did, I'm riding shotgun!!

Quick Reply: over reaction- spyder oil change ?