Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Cayman R

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:47 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
Yes full dyno results of my last Porsche from a outfit who did not know what I was up to, just a before and after graph.
Was not just exhaust , also had 996gt3 throttle body.
Still, 47hp out of that just doesn't seem possible to me. Maybe I'm wrong, but my experience tells me otherwise. I'll bet trap speeds down a 1/4 mile or peak speeds down the straightaway on a track would not be significantly different. Dynos don't always tell the true story because of different conditions, etc. The best example I can give is a plot I have from my friends' dataloggers. One guy has a stock GTR. The other guy has a modified GTR which makes about 80 more hp than stock per a mustang dyno. The stock GTR and modified GTR showed acceleration rates down the straightaway that were identical. The dyno isn't telling the whole story in this case. I don't doubt the modified GTR makes more power, but in terms of real world, tangible performance... it didn't amount to much. I'm not trying to be difficult with you, I just find this subject interesting and would enjoy a discussion.

Get the weight to 1200kg and 350bhp will make it quite entertaining and cost less than shiny red bits ;-) although I do like the GT3 RS4 steering wheel, but will not be buying one lol.
No way my shiny red bits cost more than a full exhaust upgrade. I'll take that bet anyday. Just a catback is still way more than my RS4.0 wheel. The wheel was $$$, but everytime I put my hands on it, I know it was worth it.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:51 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Still, 47hp out of that just doesn't seem possible to me. Maybe I'm wrong, but my experience tells me otherwise. I'll bet trap speeds down a 1/4 mile or peak speeds down the straightaway on a track would not be significantly different. Dynos don't always tell the true story because of different conditions, etc. The best example I can give is a plot I have from my friends' dataloggers. One guy has a stock GTR. The other guy has a modified GTR which makes about 80 more hp than stock per a mustang dyno. The stock GTR and modified GTR showed acceleration rates down the straightaway that were identical. The dyno isn't telling the whole story in this case. I don't doubt the modified GTR makes more power, but in terms of real world, tangible performance... it didn't amount to much. I'm not trying to be difficult with you, I just find this subject interesting and would enjoy a discussion.

No way my shiny red bits cost more than a full exhaust upgrade. I'll take that bet anyday. Just a catback is still way more than my RS4.0 wheel. The wheel was $$$, but everytime I put my hands on it, I know it was worth it.

and I haven't even started on warranty and re-sale...........

doubt the red steering wheel devalues the car though.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:01 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Still, 47hp out of that just doesn't seem possible to me. Maybe I'm wrong, but my experience tells me otherwise. ..... I'm not trying to be difficult with you, I just find this subject interesting and would enjoy a discussion.
Joe,

Stop trying to wrap your head around this. It isn't possible (unless we are talking HP to the crank, and even then).

Go to the IPD website: Their "race plenum" with a GT3 TB, BCM F1 air filter, and a free flow exhaust only claims something like 35HP.

This guy is yanking your chain...
Old 08-31-2012, 11:47 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by medtech
Joe,

Stop trying to wrap your head around this. It isn't possible (unless we are talking HP to the crank, and even then).

Go to the IPD website: Their "race plenum" with a GT3 TB, BCM F1 air filter, and a free flow exhaust only claims something like 35HP.

This guy is yanking your chain...
I know it's not possible. Help me out here, I'm giving it a concerted effort to 'grow up' and be diplomatic.

35hp seems high to me even still, to be honest. I don't see how a throttle body can make any real power, or the air filter. Removing the cats and opening up the exhaust will net some power, but not 35hp. You can get possibly 20-30 hp with an exhaust out of a turbocharged car, but not a N/A car.

Which leads me to my point about dynos. They can be manipulated, but even if the gains on the dyno are legit, why the lack of any real world improvement at the track? My guess? One pull on a dyno doesn't tell the whole story. The increased heat generated by the extra power quickly negates the power gain after a few laps around the track. Just an uneducated guess on my part, but the best I can come up with when a car gets an 80hp increase, feels faster with pulls on the street, but then nets no performance increase at the track. If anyone has any other theories, I'm all ears.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:50 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the chance to take a Cayman R on the track for a few parade laps. Great car. I would drive it for a while and go from there.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:29 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 122 Posts

I vboxed every stage, my gen 1 Cayman was a 10 second 100mph car.

Breathing really helps the non dfi 3.4 unit and the GT3 throttle boby brings the car alive.

Also it's not all about BHP, the non dfi unit is well know to have a nasty dead spot, you can see it on my graphs, tuning also clears that which alone is worth the cost.
Many many people are running 345bhp 987 3.4 boxster and caymans, it's well proven.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:38 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

The gains to be had on the dfi units are much lower as the starting bhp is higher then the 987.1 cars.

But 345bhp with feer reving should be the ball park.
So a total gain of 25bhp for for a Spyder or down to 15bhp on the Cayman R most of that is due to removing the cats, with only 5bhp coming from the other mods and remap.

Cayman R already has 330bhp with 4 cats with the Porsche remap so I don't know why you guys are poo pooing my quotes on a car I owned, tested, dynoed and vboxed from start to end.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:50 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Cayman R already has 330bhp with 4 cats with the Porsche remap so I don't know why you guys are poo pooing my quotes on a car I owned, tested, dynoed and vboxed from start to end.
Well, I will break rank and agree with you. I think 345 bhp is very possible.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:43 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

The gains to be had on the dfi units are much lower as the starting bhp is higher then the 987.1 cars.

So a total gain of 25bhp for for a Spyder or down to 15bhp on the Cayman R most of that is due to removing the cats, with only 5bhp coming from the other mods and remap.

When you put it that way, it does make more sense. I can certainly see 15hp out of CR. Sorry to poo poo, I guess I just don't know enough about gen 1 cars.

To get back to the OP's inquiry, though, I don't think he would notice a 15hp increase...

What did you mean by 10 second 100mph car? You didn't mean 1/4 mile, right?
Old 09-01-2012, 12:14 PM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

No, I used to aim for a 10 second 100 mph figure a few years back,
10 second 1/4 would be crazy fast :-)

But modern sports cars like the 997 turbo s now do that in 6.7 lol

I even think our Spyders do sub 10 stock in light weight mode.
I also have a GT3 and the spyder is the same speed to 95mph then the extra Bhp in the GT3 makes it pull away.

I think 25bhp more and a ti exhaust and light weight battery will see it staying with the GT3 to maybe 105 mph ish, people are also shocked how well the Spyder goes.
I love the Spyder its a great car. And have done 3 track days with it now.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:51 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also it's not all about BHP
I couldn't have said it better
Old 09-05-2012, 09:39 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

Great thread ...

So I have a '11 Boxster S 987. Still under warranty. Does removing some of the cats actually give me 10+ more hp? How is that job done? ByeBye warranty?

Mainly I agree with Bob Rouleau and have already done what he suggests -- track pads (Pagid 19), GT3 Lower Control Arms, wheels and track tires, and 6-point belts. I also changed the springs and sway bars and retuned the shocks.

mrd_spy says
I also have a GT3 and the spyder is the same speed to 95mph then the extra Bhp in the GT3 makes it pull away.
I used to have an '04 GT3. It had MUCH more acceleration that my Boxster. Not even close. (Don't get me wrong, I love the Boxster S; but in terms of power there is no comparison. The Boxster kinda gets to 130 at the WGI BusStop; The GT3 was 145+, as example.)
Old 09-05-2012, 11:34 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Where exactly is the torque curve shifting to after you uncork one of these cars??

My impression is that you are robbing from a useful part of the power band, and then taking your chances where it lands after the "improvement". Many times it ends up at the top end, where I personally don't consider it very useful (unless it's a dedicated track toy).

Quick Reply: Cayman R