Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder front bumper removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Spyder front bumper removal

Has anyone removed the front bumper from their Spyder? I wanted to get a sense of how difficult it is. I want to try out some other screens to protect the radiators.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Steve you don't need to remove the bumper to install screens. I installed these: http://porschemesh.com/boxster.html about a year ago and they have worked out beautifully. They include an industrial grade crazy glue which is used to hold the mounting brackets to the underside of the black plastic splitter. I didn't like the idea of having tabs permanently installed (even though they can't be seen) so I used an industrial strength double sided tape from 3M. It took a couple of months of constantly pressing the mounting tabs to make sure they stuck but they have now been on for 14 months and no issues.

I installed these screens about a month after bringing the car in for its first service at 1500 miles. They were having a Tech Day at the dealer and I was allowed to walk into the service bay and talk with the two technicians. They gave me a handful of recommendations and also showed me how to remove the engine cover. One of the recommendations included the addition of a screen for the radiator openings to prevent rock damage and also minimize debris inside the air intake. My radiators haven't changed in appearance since installing the screens which means the larger rocks are definitely being deflected. The screen itself has also held up well, not evidence of chipping or damage.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 09-06-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:48 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Steve (uh, just found out your name),

Afshin gave you very good advice. If you still want to take the front bumper off (or for any others), I offer you the following:

http://boxsterregister.org/showthread.php?t=950

Please note that this is on a 987.1 (2008 BS) and you need to be a PCA member to view it.

Good luck.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
Has anyone removed the front bumper from their Spyder? I wanted to get a sense of how difficult it is. I want to try out some other screens to protect the radiators.
I've removed the bumper cover on my Boxster using a DIY put together by an owner of an earlier model of car.

There were some differences.

Others have figured this out for their cars.

But it is not an operation to be taken lightly.

The techs tell me very often when a car comes in that requires the bumper cover be removed they find it has been installed incorrectly.

It is important for many reasons the cover be installed correctly if it is ever removed.

So, what you can do is take you nice new car to the dealer for an early oil/filter service and ask if the tech would please show you the proper bumper cover removal steps.

I watched one remove the bumper cover of my Turbo in about 5 minutes.

You learn the steps, but you still have to carefully note the positioning of the cover and the various under body panels and wheel liners.

So before you remove the bumper cover on your own, take pics/notes!

Also, you have to note where the various fasteners are and be sure you get them all and then when it comes time to put the cover back on that you get the right fastener back in the right hole.

Make a sketch and draw in the fastener locations and types for future reference.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:08 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Steve you don't need to remove the bumper to install screens. I installed these: http://porschemesh.com/boxster.html about a year ago and they have worked out beautifully. They include an industrial grade crazy glue which is used to hold the mounting brackets to the underside of the black plastic splitter.
I have these same screens, and I love them!

Quick Reply: Spyder front bumper removal