Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder FINALLY on the Transport Truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012 | 03:15 PM
countrysquire
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. It's killing me that it's sitting a couple hundred yards away in the parking lot and I can't drive it for a few more hours.

had planned on detailing and applying OptiCoat this weekend, but my wife is insisting that we go on a road trip Saturday. The polishing can wait, I wanna drive!
Old 07-24-2012 | 03:20 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by countrysquire
The polishing can wait, I wanna drive!
lol.
Old 07-24-2012 | 03:22 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Has your wife been out in the Spyder yet?

My wife hasn't driven mine, I'm very afraid that she will enjoy it too much. She's scared though, she knows it would be impossible to replace and she doesn't want the responsibility on her shoulders.
Old 07-24-2012 | 03:51 PM
countrysquire
Rennlist Member

Yeah, she drove it last night. Loved it, of course.
Old 07-24-2012 | 04:19 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Looks great! Take it out for a long weekend drive and enjoy, then you can wax it up!
Old 07-24-2012 | 06:46 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Countrysquire: Is that Arctic or Platinum Silver?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 07-24-2012 | 08:22 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys. It's killing me that it's sitting a couple hundred yards away in the parking lot and I can't drive it for a few more hours.

had planned on detailing and applying OptiCoat this weekend, but my wife is insisting that we go on a road trip Saturday. The polishing can wait, I wanna drive!
Good for both of you! That's where the fun is.
Congratulations, it's a beautiful car.
Old 07-25-2012 | 09:35 AM
countrysquire
Rennlist Member

It's Arctic Silver. Funny thing is that my 996 was Arctic Silver. Plus, a friend (and customer's) 993 C4S and his son in-law's Cayman S are both Arctic. It seems like all I ever work on are silver Porsches! As has been stated here before, there are no bad colors for the Spyder and I do love silver, so no complaints from me about this car, except...

As I'm sure Afshin can attest to, when you have been detailing for many years (30+ in my case), you develop certain habits on how best to do things. One of mine is sliding onto either the driver or passenger seat with my feet on the ground as I detail the dash, console, etc. I learned last night that this ain't happening with the sport bucket seats!
Old 07-25-2012 | 09:53 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Is that the Spyder that was a Porsche demo, sold by one of the Atlanta dealers?
Old 07-25-2012 | 10:03 AM
countrysquire
Rennlist Member

No, from California.
Old 07-25-2012 | 01:12 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's Arctic Silver. Funny thing is that my 996 was Arctic Silver. Plus, a friend (and customer's) 993 C4S and his son in-law's Cayman S are both Arctic. It seems like all I ever work on are silver Porsches! As has been stated here before, there are no bad colors for the Spyder and I do love silver, so no complaints from me about this car, except...

As I'm sure Afshin can attest to, when you have been detailing for many years (30+ in my case), you develop certain habits on how best to do things. One of mine is sliding onto either the driver or passenger seat with my feet on the ground as I detail the dash, console, etc. I learned last night that this ain't happening with the sport bucket seats!
Too funny, I also detail the interior by sliding into the drivers or passenger seat and leaving my feet out. Lets just say it would be extremely uncomfortable to do this with Sport Buckets! So there are some tricks I learned to simplify Spyder interior cleaning. First I don't install the top until I'm completely done cleaning the interior. This gives me great access and better lighting. I use an interior duster to remove majority of the dust and particulate which quickly builds up on the dash and center console. I do this by either supporting my weight on the A Pillar or the rollover bar behind one of the seats. Pay attention when you support yourself from the rollover area, you will naturally grab the top of the seat first and not realize it. If you do that you will leave wrinkles in the leather and if you do it enough they could become permanent. If you need to wipe the center console clean it's easy to support your weight with one hand on the middle of the lower seat cushion.

Do you have full leather on your Spyder? That adds significantly more work to keep it looking nice and protected.
Old 07-25-2012 | 02:32 PM
countrysquire
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the tips. No full leather, simple vinyl dash.
Old 07-25-2012 | 03:05 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Do you have full leather on your Spyder? That adds significantly more work to keep it looking nice and protected.
Glad I don't have full leather!! (or won't have it in the Spyder)

OK, so I'm lazy....... there, I've said it...

p.s. Afshin, are you also in the car detailing business? I thought not, but countrysquire made me think..
Old 07-25-2012 | 03:57 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Glad I don't have full leather!! (or won't have it in the Spyder)

OK, so I'm lazy....... there, I've said it...

p.s. Afshin, are you also in the car detailing business? I thought not, but countrysquire made me think..
I will readily admit that the full leather is a pain to keep new, but it's worth it for the smell and the look! My opinion of course.

I'm not in the car detailing business although I have considered selling products using a unique business model. I have detailed cars for a fee in the past but it's hard to justify my hourly rate with customers and I can't justify doing it if I don't charge that much. I do enjoy detailing, likely due to my OCD nature.
Old 07-26-2012 | 01:56 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

I would not buy a Porsche without Full Leather. As far as it takes longer to protect and make look new???? Really? Microfiber towels are your friend. Same with an occasional Lexol spraying...... The look of full leather is worth the hassle of the extra minute.... :P

Quick Reply: Spyder FINALLY on the Transport Truck