Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

The ONE thing that bugs me about dual clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 12:21 PM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
"What really bothers me about PDK, is that when I explain to people how hard core I am, they just don't get it. I wish they realized how close I am to a Formula 1 driver!"

To you and the OP, thanks for the laughs
Whose quote is that? Certainly not mine. You seem to lack focus. You've been entertaining as well.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:05 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
No argument with you here. I am a badass. Doves fly out when I exit my car.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

When I see a car with a manual transmission I ask the driver - "wow, do you need to hand-crank the engine too! Is there an attachment for your rotary phone? I guess not all dinosaurs are extinct."

Either argument can be carried to absurdity. I just enjoy my car and let others enjoy theirs while in my rear-view mirror.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:58 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orthojoe
No argument with you here. I am a badass. Doves fly out when I exit my car.
haha
Old 07-25-2012, 07:24 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
When I see a car with a manual transmission I ask the driver - "wow, do you need to hand-crank the engine too! Is there an attachment for your rotary phone? I guess not all dinosaurs are extinct."

Either argument can be carried to absurdity. I just enjoy my car and let others enjoy theirs while in my rear-view mirror.
Nice cars in your stable. I have a 2007 987S and a 2011 ZR1. I don't think you'll be seeing my ZR1 in your rear view mirror, unless it's for the second that it takes for me to pass you.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:57 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
I just enjoy my car and let others enjoy theirs while in my rear-view mirror.
Originally Posted by fast1
Nice cars in your stable. I have a 2007 987S and a 2011 ZR1. I don't think you'll be seeing my ZR1 in your rear view mirror, unless it's for the second that it takes for me to pass you.
Hmm... sounds like a challenge to me! We all know the ZR1 is one of the most capable cars out there in terms of speed/handling. BUT we also know that on a track the skill of the driver counts for A LOT more than the capabilities of a car.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:09 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think you'll be seeing my ZR1 in your rear view mirror, unless it's for the second that it takes for me to pass you.
In a straight line, yeah....

ZR1... once described as "a complete lunatic" on turns. I'm sure pros can handle it but we're not pros.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:59 AM
fast1
Race Car

Hmm... sounds like a challenge to me! We all know the ZR1 is one of the most capable cars out there in terms of speed/handling. BUT we also know that on a track the skill of the driver counts for A LOT more than the capabilities of a car.
Just playing with you. My racing days are over. I use to have a SCCA national competition license, but that expired a long time ago. Just some DEs now.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:04 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by the_vetman
In a straight line, yeah....

ZR1... once described as "a complete lunatic" on turns. I'm sure pros can handle it but we're not pros.
Never a truer statement was written. Let's put it this way, the ZR1 demands your full attention when driven anywhere near its limits. Otherwise you'll quickly be seeing where you've been, rather than where you are going. Nevertheless, I still enjoy the hell out of the car. It is even more challenging to drive than the 993 I use to own. Even though my 993 had less than half the HP/Torque of my ZR1, it still presented its own set of challenges.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:50 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Just playing with you. My racing days are over. I use to have a SCCA national competition license, but that expired a long time ago. Just some DEs now.
Darn. Nothing like good 'ol trash talking and a challenge to keep things interesting around here.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:46 PM
fast1
Race Car

Darn. Nothing like good 'ol trash talking and a challenge to keep things interesting around here.
In an earlier post you mentioned how the skill of the driver could overcome a superior car. I don't think that statement is as true today as it was 20 years ago. Back then you had to learn to brake hard without locking up the wheels, and of course heel and toe was something we all did well. So today I believe virtually every car has ABS, stability management, and of course automatted dual clutch manuals. I'm not saying that driving fast doesn't require skill today, but it certainly doesn't require nearly as much skill as in the past.

OK I'll get off the soap box.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:31 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

In an earlier post you mentioned how the skill of the driver could overcome a superior car. I don't think that statement is as true today as it was 20 years ago. Back then you had to learn to brake hard without locking up the wheels, and of course heel and toe was something we all did well. So today I believe virtually every car has ABS, stability management, and of course automatted dual clutch manuals. I'm not saying that driving fast doesn't require skill today, but it certainly doesn't require nearly as much skill as in the past.

OK I'll get off the soap box.
While there's certainly truth in what you say, electronic wizardry still can't overcome everything. Let's take the Nissan GT-R. In the proper hands, there are very few cars that can outrun it (ZR1 is one of them). I've seen many, many GT-Rs at the track over the years. There is only ONE GT-R that I've ever seen that can outrun Bensf in his spyder. It's the one in his avatar...
Old 07-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

(sigh)

This is the exactly the kind of crap I was talking about in my OP. To generically group a dual clutch transmission with the older traditional slushbox transmissions just because there is an 'automatic' mode is total BS.
Great, let's look at the definition of an automatic transmission
An automatic (also called automatic gearbox, or auto transmission) is one type of motor vehicle transmission that can automatically change gear ratios as the vehicle moves, freeing the driver from having to shift gears manually.
Doe the PDK automatically change gear ratios as the vehicle moves, freeing the driver from having to shift gears manually? If so, you have an automatic. If not, then you don't.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:03 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Asquared
Doe the PDK automatically change gear ratios as the vehicle moves, freeing the driver from having to shift gears manually? If so, you have an automatic. If not, then you don't.
Yes, you win. It's an automated transmission. You're missing the point of the thread. If you honestly think that a torque converter and dual clutch are the same, then there's nothing I can do to help.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:29 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK..I have to weigh in. The PDK is not even close to a F1 gearbox. The F1 gearbox is a sequential gearbox. It has 1 clutch that the driver controls with a clutch lever.

http://f1-grandprix.com/?p=27458
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/t...ial-gearboxes/

I will stop calling the PDK an "automatic" when I can completely control the shifts with no computer intervention. I tried 2 and could not take it anymore. My dad (former professional driver) at 75 bought his first PDK...his 10th P car at least...and he hates it. I laugh when he get on his rant.

Quick Reply: The ONE thing that bugs me about dual clutch