Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

The ONE thing that bugs me about dual clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:51 AM
jwade
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I chose PDK w/ paddle shifters due to a couple reasons. 1. Wife hates manuals and was about the only reason I could convince her to go in for the purchase. 2. I have experience driving a friends 2012 997.2 C4S Cab with the same setup and quite frankly, in sport mode, it is an absolute blast to drive.

I have always been a manual guy, but after some road time with PDK, it doesn't bother me a bit having this tranny.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:25 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just hope we continue to have a choice. To me there are some very big pluses and minuses to each, and I'd hate to see the 'lowest common denominator' become the only choice.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Twodan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

" I'd hate to see the 'lowest common denominator' become the only choice.....do you really mean this, or did you mean to say "the profit margin"?
Old 07-14-2012, 05:50 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Twodan
" I'd hate to see the 'lowest common denominator' become the only choice.....do you really mean this, or did you mean to say "the profit margin"?
All too often, it's the same.

Manual transmissions take a certain amount of skill/effort/desire (whatever you want to call it) to use properly. An 'automatic' (as described earlier) makes cars accessible to all, and eliminates having to design, build, certify, and provide spares for a second option (manual) transmission - all of which add to the bottom line - irrespective of initial option cost.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:02 AM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz

Just tell them it's the same transmission F1 cars use.
F1 cars.... those are the open wheel cars they race at Indy, right?
Old 07-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Kevin Rohrer
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 514 Posts

I like the F1 comparison.

I also gave-up explaining how it's an automatic w/ a manual mode. Now I tell them it has a double-clutch transmission w/ no clutch pedal--and it has an automatic mode for women.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:51 AM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I drove my first PDK yesterday, absolutely fantastic transmission. The rev matched downshifts are really cool.

I will not be buying one anytime soon though. Something was missing, and it just didn't feel right. I like my sports cars with clutches and sticks.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:58 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it shift gears for you automatically? Yes? Then it's an automatic. Quicker gear changes and the presence of a clutch instead of a torque converter don't change that. But don't be embarrassed because you like driving an automatic - you're in the majority after all
Old 07-23-2012, 05:54 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
Does it shift gears for you automatically? Yes? Then it's an automatic. Quicker gear changes and the presence of a clutch instead of a torque converter don't change that. But don't be embarrassed because you like driving an automatic - you're in the majority after all
(sigh)

This is the exactly the kind of crap I was talking about in my OP. To generically group a dual clutch transmission with the older traditional slushbox transmissions just because there is an 'automatic' mode is total BS.

Let's get something straight here. I own both a manual tranny (spyder) and a DCT (Evo). I know how to properly execute heel/toe on the street and on the race track with a manual transmission, which is more than I can say about most manual drivers who consider themselves superior to everyone else. I can appreciate the the pros/cons of each transmission. Just don't group me with the 'majority' of car owners out there. I'm far from it, and it insinuate it otherwise with your smug comment followed with a smiley is insulting.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:58 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
(sigh)

This is the exactly the kind of crap I was talking about in my OP. To generically group a dual clutch transmission with the older traditional slushbox transmissions just because there is an 'automatic' mode is total BS.

Let's get something straight here. I own both a manual tranny (spyder) and a DCT (Evo). I know how to properly execute heel/toe on the street and on the race track with a manual transmission, which is more than I can say about most manual drivers who consider themselves superior to everyone else. I can appreciate the the pros/cons of each transmission. Just don't group me with the 'majority' of car owners out there. I'm far from it, and it insinuate it otherwise with your smug comment followed with a smiley is insulting.
I wouldn't get too concerned about this issue since in a couple years I doubt that Porsche will even offer cars with clutch pedals. The only reason that I won't be ordering one is the premium charged for PDK. I'm happy with the clutch pedal, so why pay extra.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:24 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by orthojoe
(sigh)

Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2012, 11:07 AM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...But don't be embarrassed because you like driving an automatic - you're in the majority after all
You seem to be smugly implying that one would/should be embarrassed for driving a dual clutch and therefore got the response you got from orthojoe. Sorry if that's not what you meant or implied but that's the feeling that I got from your post as well.

You have a high post count and undoubtedly must have contributed positively in the past but you kinda seem like an *** right now.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:21 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by bensf
You seem to be smugly implying that one would/should be embarrassed for driving a dual clutch and therefore got the response you got from orthojoe. Sorry if that's not what you meant or implied but that's the feeling that I got from your post as well.

You have a high post count and undoubtedly must have contributed positively in the past but you kinda seem like an *** right now.
I haven't encountered egos this fragile since high school
Old 07-24-2012, 11:38 AM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't encountered egos this fragile since high school
Who said anything about egos? I drive a PDK and could care less what anyone thinks, if I have indicated otherwise, please show me. I was just pointing out how your post was interpreted by me and obviously orthojoe and by your reaction it's obvious that is exactly the way you wanted your post to be taken. BTW - you're childish behavior also reminds me of high school.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:00 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by bensf
Who said anything about egos? I drive a PDK and could care less what anyone thinks, if I have indicated otherwise, please show me. I was just pointing out how your post was interpreted by me and obviously orthojoe and by your reaction it's obvious that is exactly the way you wanted your post to be taken. BTW - you're childish behavior also reminds me of high school.
"What really bothers me about PDK, is that when I explain to people how hard core I am, they just don't get it. I wish they realized how close I am to a Formula 1 driver!"

To you and the OP, thanks for the laughs

Quick Reply: The ONE thing that bugs me about dual clutch