Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Other springs on r Dampers

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012 | 12:33 PM
Schmidts Cat
Burning Brakes

Default Other springs on r Dampers

Anyone experimented with other springs on an R?
Old 05-24-2012 | 01:01 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

I'm also interested..

My current 987.1 is lowered with H&R sport springs. I plan on buying a Spyder in the near future and have been wondering whether sport springs would lower it way too much.

Anyone?
Old 05-24-2012 | 01:31 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

The inherent problem with swapping springs is that the dampers were made to complement the stock spring rate. You may end up with a damper/spring mismatch. There's alot of engineering that goes into OEM parts. I've learned the hard way in the past that you can end up making things worse if you're not careful. This is why many go with a coilover system rather than a simple spring swap.
Old 05-24-2012 | 03:35 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Any complaint I had with the Cayman R's spring/dampers went away when the MPSCs went on. It seems like the softer sidewalls of the stock PS2s were responsible for the bit of float I'd get at higher speeds on undulating road. I'm very happy, now, though the LCAs will go on next week.
Old 05-25-2012 | 06:43 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by orthojoe
The inherent problem with swapping springs is that the dampers were made to complement the stock spring rate. You may end up with a damper/spring mismatch.
Joe is right, of course. However, many have gone with lowering springs on 987's with good results (and longevity) and I was just wondering how it would work on a Spyder/R.

I know of one Indy who says that Porsche has created something special with Spyder/R and he wouldn't recommend changing the suspension. However, many hardcore trackies still go with coilovers. I guess I'll just have to feel it myself and see how I'd prefer it.

Old 05-27-2012 | 02:09 AM
Schmidts Cat
Burning Brakes

There's a good chance I'll just go with the R set-up. Coil-overs seem to always be too firm for street/comfort. If the Iebach/techart etc, turn out to be the same #rate as the CR I may try it. My car is not PASAM, so the R set-up would be 20mm lower and the others about 25-30mm. So only 5-10mm lower than stock R.
Old 05-27-2012 | 10:54 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

That's probably a good way to go, Ian. One thing to note that I've learned over the years, though, is that the spring rate does not dictate ride quality. It has more to do with the quality of the dampers than the spring rate. Coilovers get a bad reputation of riding really stiff with poor ride quality because a lot of the dampers are crap. The ohlins setup on my Evo are about triple the stock spring rate, but the car rides just as smoothly on the street as it did stock. Ohlins makes quality coilovers. I'm not sure if they make them for the Cayman, but if they do, I'd look into it.

btw, will you be joining Ben and I on June 16th at Laguna?
Old 05-28-2012 | 12:47 PM
Schmidts Cat
Burning Brakes

LS: I rather doubt it as my daughters High school grad is the 14th? I just took my Pagid yellows off last night... too squeaky for street!
Old 05-28-2012 | 01:14 PM
bensf
Racer

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
I just took my Pagid yellows off last night... too squeaky for street!
They stay quiet for a couple of weeks after a track day. Obviously you need to track more!
Old 05-28-2012 | 04:02 PM
Schmidts Cat
Burning Brakes

Yup, they were crazy loud, only at very low speed, like stop signs. Gonna miss the grip. At least I'm getting fast at swapping them out. Thinking about going one grade down for street when my stock pads give up. Any thoughts on that? And yes, I NEED TO TRACK MORE!
Old 05-30-2012 | 01:23 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

H&R makes a set of springs that lower the spyder 0.75 inches both front and rear. I assume these are the same springs used on the other boxster/cayman variants, but lower the spyder less since the spyder is lower to begin with. I've been thinking of getting a set.

Quick Reply: Other springs on r Dampers