Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Powder coated Spyder wheels question -- help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 06:49 PM
IAortho
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Plavan
Even if they were powder coated, it would not hurt the wheels because they are not forged. You are probably thinking of the earlier Fuchs.
Thanks Plavan -- you are exactly right! For some reason, it was in my head that these wheels were forged, but they are not! Must have been the lightness factor biasing my thoughts!

Jaci and Dave I -- your info is much appreciated! When you mentioned that Porsche didn't offer black painted wheels on early Spyders, I remembered the configurator didn't allow it until mid production. I do think this is a solid car and that the seller is a decent guy. Not CPO'ed, but still under warranty. And now that the research is done, I'm not deterred either. Thanks much guys -- you've been a great help and I'll keep you posted.........
Old 05-08-2012, 12:59 AM
pcw
Instructor

I ordered my Spyder 1 day after the ordering banks opened, in fact Donavan and I ordered our Spyders on the same day back in Dec 2009. Painted black rims were not available at that time. I did powder-coat my rims and can comment on on some of the questions. Powder-coating is all about the temp and prep work so find a PC'er that knows what they are doing. My PC'er coated at lower temps and would coat, bake and repeated that process 3 times. The rims are electrically charged and the fine powder attached to the rim so because of this process it's difficult to over spray, if the powder can't get to the charged metal because it is already covered, the powder will not attach.

The one issue with powder coating vs paint is that PC can look less smooth than painting because of the baking/curing process. PC is much more durable than paint, no question. My rims came out looking incredibly smooth because of the prep work and multiple coats my PC did. Total cost was 900.00, that included the new black and gold caps from Porsche, they were 190.00 for a set. I also use the new caps for the PC'er to match the PC on the rims so everything matches. Overall I would do again, I have no concerns for the PC process as long as you find an experience PC'er. Mine mentioned that the Spyder rims were the hardest rim he ever worked on. It took 13 days in the chem bath to remove all the paint/primer that BBS applied, he was truly a craftsman and the the rims reflect it. Good luck.

pcw
Old 05-08-2012, 01:29 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

The biggest concern with powder coating wheels, IMO, is that it can hide cracks that you might otherwise see in paint. I didn't put a huge focus on metallurgy in Eng School so so I won't say whether this is a big concern or not with respect to the cast Spyder wheels, but if you have any plans to track your car, it bears at least mentioning.

I am hoping to join the ranks of the Spyder owners soon myself, and have been following these threads with interest.

[Edit... And then I retread this thread and see at least three mentions previous to my comment about cracking, so "nevermind". Lol]
Old 05-08-2012, 03:21 PM
IAortho
Instructor

Well guys -- here ya go! I bit the bullet and there's another white Spyder out there on the road. After 2 minutes driving the car, I knew it was everything the RL'ers have said all along. Fantastic, light and nimble fun -- just what I was hoping for in a convertible that isn't as ostentatious as the gt3. (And I won't be afraid to park it in public once in a while!) Golf clubs really do fit in the rear trunk too! It's mine, and I'm keeping it!

It appears to have come with a tonneau cover that came in a factory Porsche bag. This is not the top, mind you! The tonneau has about 6 or 8 straps along its perimeter -- I had never heard of this cover. Is it Porsche OEM or something aftermarket left in the car? I have no photos of the tonneau, but will post photos of it once car is shipped if interested. Thanks again -- I'm done shopping for a long time! Lol.
Attached Images    
Old 05-08-2012, 04:22 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations! Spyders are keepers.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Great specs! And that is an early MY2012, correct?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 05-08-2012, 06:03 PM
IAortho
Instructor

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Congratulations! Spyders are keepers.
Thanks Steve, I agree! I also tend to keep the cars I buy rather than live with a regret.

Originally Posted by Z356
Great specs! And that is an early MY2012, correct?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Thanks Eduardo! Yours is still prettier in my eyes......but the spec is definitely what sold it. White was my second choice color as you know, and beggars (ie. 2nd hand buyers) can't be choosers, so I am quite happy that I didn't let it get away.

It is actually a very early 2011. I'm told it was the first Spyder sold by Porsche of San Antonio and they sold 8 in total if I remember a previous RL post correctly. It's build completion date was Fall 2010, but will need to double check the month once it gets delivered. Note that the wheels are aftermarket painted and not listed on the window sticker -- whoever painted them did a beautiful job though, and I wish I could give them some credit here. As helpful RL'ers pointed out, Porsche didn't offer black painted wheels on early production Spyders.

Anyone have any thoughts about the tonneau cover I mentioned? Did Spyders come with one from the factory?
Old 05-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats, looks great!! You will never look back once it arrives...I have no regrets on my white car after having searched for a blue one for months.

Can't help you on the tonneau cover; the original owner of my car did not have one.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by IAortho
Anyone have any thoughts about the tonneau cover I mentioned? Did Spyders come with one from the factory?
Not from the Porsche factory. But we had a conversation here about possible tonneau covers for Spyders in 2010. It would have been an after-market effort. See this link to that RL discussion:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...r-tonneau.html

Once you get it, please post photos of the tonneau and tell us how well it works!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 05-09-2012, 10:05 PM
IAortho
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave I
Congrats, looks great!! You will never look back once it arrives...I have no regrets on my white car after having searched for a blue one for months.

Can't help you on the tonneau cover; the original owner of my car did not have one.
Thanks Dave I -- I know you are right! And your earlier post was spot on -- it was in my mind when I decided to catch the flight down to Boerne!

Originally Posted by Z356
Not from the Porsche factory. But we had a conversation here about possible tonneau covers for Spyders in 2010. It would have been an after-market effort. See this link to that RL discussion:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...r-tonneau.html

Once you get it, please post photos of the tonneau and tell us how well it works!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Will do Eduardo -- the aftermarket tonneau did not appear to be very "fitted"; it was probably used as something more like a black nylon throw/dust cover for the cabin. Thanks for the link......a white "fitted" tonneau would interest me.

Quick Reply: Powder coated Spyder wheels question -- help please