Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

There are some deals around on new '12 Cayman R's!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Number of Cayman Rs and Spyders built?

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
I'd still like to know how many Rs were built.
Steve: So far it has been very difficult to get a proper accounting of how many Spyders were built for US market, or ROW, in MY2011 and MY2012! We have been given certain numbers in passing (by MJones, who was mostly documenting gt3 & RS sales in US) in the gt Rennlist forum. Those seemed to indicate around 700 US Spyders for MY2011. Mr. Jones (Brian) informed me separately that there were a total of 125 US allocations for MY2012 Spyders last year. In addition, I was told by a German employee of 'Porsche Exclusive' last summer in Carmel that world-wide production of Spyders was approx. 2000 in total!

I have not seen even a hint of the total numbers of MY2012 Cayman R's expected to be produced, for either the US market or ROW. I have asked MJones via PM/Email to see if he could come up with more definite figures for us, especially on the Spyders since they are all 'done/sold'. But so far, he has been unable to do so...but I patiently wait for more news from him. If anyone else has more updated numbers on Spyder and/or Cayman R production, we would love to hear from them on this forum.

Re: Afshin's "I was reading on Planet 9 that about 3500 R's were produced for the entire world. I believe 1500-1800 came to the US." Please let us know the exact source of that information (from Planet 9) and how reliable you think those numbers are!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 03-10-2012, 06:19 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's hard to believe anywhere near that many Rs came to the US - based on Panorama's and MJones total Boxster/Cayman (combined) sales of around 3500 for the 2011 year.

When the R was introduced Porsche thought a third of the production would be Rs, then brought out the Black edition which was supposed to be 500 (or about a third of Cayman production).

But I'm very interested in knowing.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:39 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

my dealer in San Antonio has this one, 6spd with regular seats

http://www.porscheofsanantonio.com/w...ition_id=10425

Peridot is not my favorite color but it is striking! and there are numerous Peridot cars still remaining in dealer inventory
Old 03-11-2012, 12:20 AM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts

In MY 2012, I'd be willing to bet that there were more Rs than base or S (including B/E) Caymans.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:56 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Steve: So far it has been very difficult to get a proper accounting of how many Spyders were built for US market, or ROW, in MY2011 and MY2012! We have been given certain numbers in passing (by MJones, who was mostly documenting gt3 & RS sales in US) in the gt Rennlist forum. Those seemed to indicate around 700 US Spyders for MY2011. Mr. Jones (Brian) informed me separately that there were a total of 125 US allocations for MY2012 Spyders last year. In addition, I was told by a German employee of 'Porsche Exclusive' last summer in Carmel that world-wide production of Spyders was approx. 2000 in total!

I have not seen even a hint of the total numbers of MY2012 Cayman R's expected to be produced, for either the US market or ROW. I have asked MJones via PM/Email to see if he could come up with more definite figures for us, especially on the Spyders since they are all 'done/sold'. But so far, he has been unable to do so...but I patiently wait for more news from him. If anyone else has more updated numbers on Spyder and/or Cayman R production, we would love to hear from them on this forum.

Re: Afshin's "I was reading on Planet 9 that about 3500 R's were produced for the entire world. I believe 1500-1800 came to the US." Please let us know the exact source of that information (from Planet 9) and how reliable you think those numbers are!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
that was me doing some math on VIN numbers and assuming no missing production numbers. So that could be entirely wrong.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:04 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
In MY 2012, I'd be willing to bet that there were more Rs than base or S (including B/E) Caymans.
That could easily be.
When I was trying to pick my color, I had to go to 8 different dealers -- there were just so few Caymans of any type.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:42 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by khooni
that was me doing some math on VIN numbers and assuming no missing production numbers. So that could be entirely wrong.
Khooni, I think we need to delve a little deeper into the subject matter before we reach definite conclusions. I have followed your thread at Planet 9http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...w-many-cr.htmlbut I think we need an official accounting from Porsche AG to verify these numbers, don't you think?

Anyone that can shed more light on the subject is welcome to chime in!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 03-12-2012, 09:42 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

absolutely. I was merely postulating. Could be a mile off
Old 03-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Casey posted the following on Planet 9:
just checked and saw 3536 completed production so you are quite close to the end... There is one that is in production last right now and from what I can tell is the closest that I can see to last(outside of any customer order cars)
I assume his sources are probably accurate although he doesn't say how he found this number.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:36 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking for a cayman R for my wife. Any leads to dealers with a white or green car would be appreciated. MUST BE PDK, everything else is negotiable. Prefer fewer options to more.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:34 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Casey posted the following on Planet 9:

just checked and saw 3536 completed production so you are quite close to the end... There is one that is in production last right now and from what I can tell is the closest that I can see to last(outside of any customer order cars)

I assume his sources are probably accurate although he doesn't say how he found this number.
Casey's sources? What are those sources? Casey (a salesman at a MD dealer) is just reading from a PCNA computer screen that tells him the vin# on one of the last Cayman R being sent to the US Market? Is that it? What does that tell us - that approx. 3536 were built for the US market? Or for the world? What is the vin # of the first Cayman R for the US? Do we know they were built in sequence? What are the Vin #'s for ROW Cayman R's?

Let's think for a moment about all of this and explain to us what we really KNOW about how Vin #3536 tells us how many Cayman R's were built for the US and/or the World. Because it's not clear at all to me...

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 03-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
Casey's sources? What are those sources? Casey (a salesman at a MD dealer) is just reading from a PCNA computer screen that tells him the vin# on one of the last Cayman R being sent to the US Market? Is that it? What does that tell us - that approx. 3536 were built for the US market? Or for the world? What is the vin # of the first Cayman R for the US? Do we know they were built in sequence? What are the Vin #'s for ROW Cayman R's?

Let's think for a moment about all of this and explain to us what we really KNOW about how Vin #3536 tells us how many Cayman R's were built for the US and/or the World. Because it's not clear at all to me...

Saludos,
Eduardo
Eduardo I agree that the numbers need to be confirmed and having a clear understanding of how Porsche numbers their cars is necessary. Honestly I'm not that interested in the R production numbers, just a curiosity for me.

Hopefully someone can chime in with additional knowledge and clarify things.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:54 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm interested.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:39 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found THE car. Thanks for all the leads guys, Much appreciated. Hope to have it in my hands by the time I get back from spring break

Originally Posted by 4forme
Looking for a cayman R for my wife. Any leads to dealers with a white or green car would be appreciated. MUST BE PDK, everything else is negotiable. Prefer fewer options to more.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

So which one did you buy? Details please!

Quick Reply: There are some deals around on new '12 Cayman R's!