Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Predictions on 981 production will include a Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Predictions on 981 production will include a Spyder?

I'm interested in hearing if anyone has an educated guess if/when or better yet, insider information on whether there will be another Spyder produced for the 981 generation.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:38 PM
balakris
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't doubt it but not for at least 2-3 years.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I was wondering the exact same thing today.

I'm sure Porsche will come out with a Spyder version but I am curious how they will achieve the weight loss and more importantly I wonder if it will have similar characteristics and purity.

I guess we will have to wait and see what Porsche has up their sleeves!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Maybe, but not for a while.
Remember, there was the 987, then the mid-cycle update to the 987.2, then finally near the end of the 987 life cycle the Spyder was introduced. Of course, there was the mid-cycle RS60 Spider too.

I'd guess 5 - 6 years minimum.

It will also depend on whatever new laws, fuel standards, emission standards, etc may come into play. The next one could be electric or even a wind-up one! Get out there and vote!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:24 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Remember, there was the 987, then the mid-cycle update to the 987.2, then finally near the end of the 987 life cycle the Spyder was introduced. Of course, there was the mid-cycle RS60 Spider too.

It will also depend on whatever new laws, fuel standards, emission standards, etc may come into play. The next one could be electric or even a wind-up one! Get out there and vote!
I'll have mine paid off in less than 5 years, then I can buy another and have both.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:57 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave I
I'm interested in hearing if anyone has an educated guess if/when or better yet, insider information on whether there will be another Spyder produced for the 981 generation.
I posed that question to some Porsche executives I met during Rennsport IV at Laguna Seca and didn't get a 'straight' answer. The new CEO of PAG (an ex-VW executive) has publicly announced that they want a record numbers of Porsches produced & sold, so we know they are going to be pushing out cars in 'volume'. At first, it would seem obvious that they would eventually get to do a new Spyder version of the 981, just as there will be a gt3 version of the 991. But the one thing to remember is that from a sales perspective the Spyder was NOT an overwhelming success for Porsche. I have been told that around 2000 were sold worldwide in the two years of production, with the US market taking approx. 700 in MY2011 and only 125 in MY2012 (an abbreviated production that lasted 4 months). Those are extremely low production & sales numbers for a recent Porsche model. If they want to sell in 'volume', PAG would NOT be looking to duplicate the Spyder on the 981 platform...and they may not think it's worth the effort!

And then there is the top design! If you examine closely at the biggest 'objection' to the current Spyders among potential owners, the two-part 'manual' top has to at the top of the list. As brilliant a piece of engineering as this top is on the Spyder, I predict that Porsche will NOT repeat this super light weight top ever again on any new model! So the next 'sport' & 'light weight' version of the 981 will probably have a lighter version of the current 981 auto-canvas convertible top, but perhaps with a manual operation similar to the one used on the new Mini Roadster, which comes up from behind with a spring-assisted gizmo and is closed by the driver reaching over & closing it by hand. This is simply the traditional way that the 356 Speedster and Roadster tops operated, although those old metal frames weighted quite a bit. If so, this manual canvas top (even if made with super light weight materials) will have major design implications for the rear deck of the next 'sport' and 'lightweight' version of the 981! With that top to worry about, they will not be able to easily duplicate the sensuous double-hump rear deck of the Spyder and it's mini Carrera GT signature look! Thus, I think there might be a good chance that the special look of our '11/'12 Spyders will remain 'unique', regardless what 'sport' version of the 981 is finally approved for production. Newer is not always better...nor necessarily more attractive!

Saludos,
Eduardo (Carmel)
Old 02-21-2012, 12:34 AM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

very interesting perspective, Eduardo
perhaps we'll get the Boxster R instead of the Spyder with the 981

volume and pricing seem to be a contradictory goal
if PAG wanted volume you have to wonder why the Cayman was priced above the Boxster

I have "priced out" a 981 Boxster at over $90,000
with prices like that, I don't see a lot of volume coming

cheers,
Steve

Originally Posted by Z356
I posed that question to some Porsche executives I met during Rennsport IV at Laguna Seca and didn't get a 'straight' answer. The new CEO of PAG (an ex-VW executive) has publicly announced that they want a record numbers of Porsches produced & sold, so we know they are going to be pushing out cars in 'volume'. At first, it would seem obvious that they would eventually get to do a new Spyder version of the 981, just as there will be a gt3 version of the 991. But the one thing to remember is that from a sales perspective the Spyder was NOT an overwhelming success for Porsche. I have been told that around 2000 were sold worldwide in the two years of production, with the US market taking approx. 700 in MY2011 and only 125 in MY2012 (an abbreviated production that lasted 4 months). Those are extremely low production & sales numbers for a recent Porsche model. If they want to sell in 'volume', PAG would NOT be looking to duplicate the Spyder on the 981 platform...and they may not think it's worth the effort!

And then there is the top design! If you examine closely at the biggest 'objection' to the current Spyders among potential owners, the two-part 'manual' top has to at the top of the list. As brilliant a piece of engineering as this top is on the Spyder, I predict that Porsche will NOT repeat this super light weight top ever again on any new model! So the next 'sport' & 'light weight' version of the 981 will probably have a lighter version of the current 981 auto-canvas convertible top, but perhaps with a manual operation similar to the one used on the new Mini Roadster, which comes up from behind with a spring-assisted gizmo and is closed by the driver reaching over & closing it by hand. This is simply the traditional way that the 356 Speedster and Roadster tops operated, although those old metal frames weighted quite a bit. If so, this manual canvas top (even if made with super light weight materials) will have major design implications for the rear deck of the next 'sport' and 'lightweight' version of the 981! With that top to worry about, they will not be able to easily duplicate the sensuous double-hump rear deck of the Spyder and it's mini Carrera GT signature look! Thus, I think there might be a good chance that the special look of our '11/'12 Spyders will remain 'unique', regardless what 'sport' version of the 981 is finally approved for production. Newer is not always better...nor necessarily more attractive!

Saludos,
Eduardo (Carmel)
Old 02-21-2012, 12:40 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when are they going to start shipping the 981 anyway?
I cant wait to see it in the flesh.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:35 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

At minimum, I think they will get into a rhythm like with the "Speedster, "Black" and "GTS" edition 911s, and create another Spyder to move units as the newest production runs near an end... (As a Speedster owner, Porsche made Speedsters for the 3.2, 964 and 993 (limited release) and 997. The only generation skipped since inception was the 996...)

At maximum, they might try to move the Spyder designation to a "GT2" and "GT3" model which complements the core Boxster offering (in this case 981) over a multi-year span.

I'd settle for the former but hope for the latter!

-B
Old 02-21-2012, 03:58 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I think we will see a 981 Spyder, without question. While not many were sold, Porsche was right on with their predictions; they neither sold over MSRP, nor significantly under, even in a poor economy, so they were profitable for dealers, and continue to generate positive reviews for the brand.

That said, I agree with Eduardo - with Porsche's lofty sales goals and escalating prices, their models will need to appeal to wider audiences across the range. So the Spyder will likely have a more conventional roof. It will be interesting to see what other changes differentiate it - likely lightweight (carbon fiber?) body panels, and a more basic interior shared with the GT models, not unlike the current car. We shall see...
Old 02-21-2012, 04:03 AM
Kelderek
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Without meaning any disrespect to Spyder owners, I think that both the Spyder and the Cayman R are pretty obvious attempts to try to keep the interest going for an aging model generation. They both came out pretty late in the 987 lifecycle. Porsche needed to reinvent the 987 platform and did it with these models.

For the 981, they will probably concentrate on getting the Cayman version on the market. Then they have the base line-up on the market, generating revenue, and they can start thinking about niche models to keep the interest up.
So, my prediction is Cayman first, then we'll see...

Originally Posted by crispenigl
when are they going to start shipping the 981 anyway?
I cant wait to see it in the flesh.
Looks like delivery to European customers will start in April. I have my own scheduled for build in late April, delivery to me in early May...
Old 02-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelderek
Without meaning any disrespect to Spyder owners, I think that both the Spyder and the Cayman R are pretty obvious attempts to try to keep the interest going for an aging model generation. They both came out pretty late in the 987 lifecycle. Porsche needed to reinvent the 987 platform and did it with these models.

For the 981, they will probably concentrate on getting the Cayman version on the market. Then they have the base line-up on the market, generating revenue, and they can start thinking about niche models to keep the interest up.
So, my prediction is Cayman first, then we'll see...

Looks like delivery to European customers will start in April. I have my own scheduled for build in late April, delivery to me in early May...
There is no doubt that the Spyder and Cayman R were created solely to help move cars and stir some interest and they served Porsche well. I'm sure Porsche will come out with similar versions of the 981 but what will they be like? If you look at what they did to the Speedster I think they have lost focus on what the original car was about, will they do the same to the next Spyder?

Regardless of the purpose of the Spyder to increase saels, IMO Porsche nailed it as far as creating a sports car that focuses more on how it drives rather than driver comforts. No one has ever complained about the driving dynamics. Everyone will have a set of values and expectations when it comes to purchasing a car, it is clear that the majority care more about ease of use than they do eliminating weight were it hurts a car the most.

So the question now is, will the next Spyder be watered down or tuned up even more! From what I have been reading in the GT3 forums, it looks like Porsche is more focused on reducing lap and acceleration time and less focused on driver involvement. They are saying that the next GT2/3 may not have a MT Gearbox. That doesn't bode well for the Spyder or R.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:39 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interesting
thank you
Old 02-21-2012, 06:09 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz

Agreed...as much as well all love the spyder, lets not forget it was a business decision to create a buzz late in the model run of the 987.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Without meaning any disrespect to Spyder owners, I think that both the Spyder and the Cayman R are pretty obvious attempts to try to keep the interest going for an aging model generation.
Originally Posted by scycle2020
Agreed...as much as well all love the spyder, lets not forget it was a business decision to create a buzz late in the model run of the 987.
Regardless how late in the game the Spyder arrived on the scene or for what reason PAG decided to create it in the first place, the FACT remains that the Spyder delivered a level of performance COMBINED with incredibly good looks which the new 981 might find difficult to duplicate as a package in the near future! The 4.0 Limited Edition gt3 RS was also a swan song for the old gt3 platform. Yet I don't hear anyone THAT HAS A 4.0 LE complaining that it was just a marketing exercise to create late buzz for the 997.2! Similarly, for us Spyder owners, the reason why our cars were conceived by Porsche is totally inconsequential. We are glad they were...and happy we bought one of the few produced!

Saludos,
Eduardo

Quick Reply: Predictions on 981 production will include a Spyder?