Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Predictions on 981 production will include a Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:20 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelderek
Without meaning any disrespect to Spyder owners, I think that both the Spyder and the Cayman R are pretty obvious attempts to try to keep the interest going for an aging model generation.
This strategy has worked for Porsche for over 60 years, all-the-while building at least one model that cannot (visually) be mistaken for anything but a Porsche. I personally wouldn't bet against Porsche making the prudent market maneuver.

Hype is what sells cars. Solid performance builds loyalty. Combining both, keeps brands going.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:24 AM
Kelderek
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z356
Regardless how late in the game the Spyder arrived on the scene or for what reason PAG decided to create it in the first place, the FACT remains that the Spyder delivered a level of performance COMBINED with incredibly good looks which the new 981 might find difficult to duplicate as a package in the near future! The 4.0 Limited Edition gt3 RS was also a swan song for the old gt3 platform. Yet I don't hear anyone THAT HAS A 4.0 LE complaining that it was just a marketing exercise to create late buzz for the 997.2! Similarly, for us Spyder owners, the reason why our cars were conceived by Porsche is totally inconsequential. We are glad they were...and happy we bought one of the few produced!
I fully agree, the Spyder is a great car, regardless of the reasons for it being launched.
What I'm saying is that Porsche will probably follow the same path with 981, simply because it is a succesful strategy. They will squeeze profit from the base models for a few years, maybe add some power along the way. Then, before the next facelift, they will launch something exciting to keep the interest going. Therefore I think it will be a few years before we see a 981 Spyder.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelderek
I fully agree, the Spyder is a great car, regardless of the reasons for it being launched.
What I'm saying is that Porsche will probably follow the same path with 981, simply because it is a succesful strategy. They will squeeze profit from the base models for a few years, maybe add some power along the way. Then, before the next facelift, they will launch something exciting to keep the interest going. Therefore I think it will be a few years before we see a 981 Spyder.
Agreed
Old 02-22-2012, 09:13 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

i will be the first to cry if they produce another spyder with double humps like ours........ as I have 2..
Old 02-22-2012, 06:45 PM
jon911S
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the past is any predictor for the future, it may be a while before there is a spyder version. Attacged us a copy of an Autoweek article that saved through the years will waiting for the spyder.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2012_02_22_07_45_22.pdf (1.09 MB, 494 views)
Old 02-22-2012, 06:52 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Porsche likes to build cars like the Spyder, Speedster, Club sport, etc. But they do it very intermitently. I am sure the will be some kind of special Edition Boxster but not sure it will be called Spyder for at least 10 to 15 years. That is their M.O.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by jon911S
If the past is any predictor for the future, it may be a while before there is a spyder version. Attacged us a copy of an Autoweek article that saved through the years will waiting for the spyder.
So 18 Months = 11 Years!

Originally Posted by good hands
Porsche likes to build cars like the Spyder, Speedster, Club sport, etc. But they do it very intermitently. I am sure the will be some kind of special Edition Boxster but not sure it will be called Spyder for at least 10 to 15 years. That is their M.O.
That does seem to be true for everything except the 911 which seems to maintain all of the older variants and a couple of new ones.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:31 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

great find.......... thanks for that
Old 03-08-2012, 09:03 AM
pecora
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crispenigl
when are they going to start shipping the 981 anyway?
I cant wait to see it in the flesh.
I am expecting to have mine in early June.... May build

Rick

Quick Reply: Predictions on 981 production will include a Spyder?