Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

PSE in spyder and CR

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 12:47 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Highly unlikely that swapping in an R exhaut with only a small change in exhaust diameter will get you 10 extra horsepower. Porsche is just playing games. If there is a difference between the R and the spyder, it might be a combo of an ECU change along with the exhaust. 10hp won't be appreciable anyway. In my experience, it takes about 20 extra horsepower for you to notice anything in the 'butt' dyno.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:21 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

that's where the mention of fuel in exhaust valve during overrun comes in which is extra tuning. I am certainly not reading into that as I agree, 10HP cannot be felt but 10HP inconjunction with weight reduction can. But that's over the regular cayman and not a direct compare versus the spyder
Old 02-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Whether you spec the PSE or not in the Cayman R, it is still noted as being 330hp. Having said that, a non PSE Cayman R and a PSE Cayman R would have different hp values if the exhaust system had play in final HP figures. Could be ECU tuning, some pieces that are between the pse and the engine or just simply more marketing than anything.

Furthermore from Suncoast parts:
" For the sport exhaust, according to Porsche all 2009-2012 Boxster and Cayman models use the same Sport Exhaust mufflers. So base, S, and R models all use the same exhaust system. Some additional pieces are model specific, but most pieces are shared between all models."

So it may be worth while to see which additional pieces are model specific and if those have any play in the horsepower of both cars.

Other option is dyno a Spyder and Cayman R back to back and possible have 2 additional cars ready that either have or don't have the system installed - to compare.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:33 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

the tuning was exhaust noise tuning. I was not implying PSE has a HP advantage. Porsche clearly says it doesn't

Quick Reply: PSE in spyder and CR