Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Is spider webbing inevitable? (no pun intended)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:24 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Lots of good advice above.

I'd add:

1) Dry (+95%) with a leaf blower
Old 01-26-2012, 10:01 AM
thatguitarplace
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you just put water on the hood or with shampoo ? new spyder owner and need some advice on washing the car ..thanks !
Old 01-26-2012, 10:03 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by thatguitarplace
do you just put water on the hood or with shampoo ? new spyder owner and need some advice on washing the car ..thanks !
Did you read page #1?

Shampoo= washing hair.

Soap= washing Porsche.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Do you drive your car daily and where do you live? Knowing this will help us to provide the right procedure to keep the car looking perfect.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:57 PM
balakris
Instructor

Good advice on this thread, some conflicting. I agree the best way to avoid scratches is to not touch the paint. When I look at my car in the sun this morning, I feel satisfied with it. Only at certain angles do they show. I am going to live with it for now, and only detail when necessary. If the scratches reach a critical mass I'll take them to a professional to get buffed out.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by balakris
Good advice on this thread, some conflicting. I agree the best way to avoid scratches is to not touch the paint. When I look at my car in the sun this morning, I feel satisfied with it. Only at certain angles do they show. I am going to live with it for now, and only detail when necessary. If the scratches reach a critical mass I'll take them to a professional to get buffed out.
Detailing is kind of like oil, everyone has a different opinion and approach. One thing I learned years ago is to find products you like and use them properly.

Just to provide some of my own background, I started detailing when I was 14. I used to detail cars for my parents and their friends. At the time I was making about $100/car. When I was 17 I was taught how to use a rotary buffer from a friend that owned a successful auto body shop. I used my skills on my 190E which I was restoring. The paint looked like glass when I was done and everyone used to ask me how I did it. About 10 years ago I helped Meguiars set up their first customer training classes in Irvine and during these events I honed my skills with a rotary and random orbital. I started professionally detailing cars on and off over the past 10 years and had done a couple of concours preparations which I really enjoyed. I stopped doing this about a year ago when I realized it wasn't worth spending my time doing it and I couldn't get paid what my time was worth. So now I just do it for my own enjoyment. When I was still detailing a few 928 owners asked me to work on their cars, here are some before afters:

https://rennlist.com/forums/concours...or-detail.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...-step-1-a.html
Old 01-27-2012, 06:23 PM
balakris
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Detailing is kind of like oil, everyone has a different opinion and approach. One thing I learned years ago is to find products you like and use them properly.

Just to provide some of my own background, I started detailing when I was 14. I used to detail cars for my parents and their friends. At the time I was making about $100/car. When I was 17 I was taught how to use a rotary buffer from a friend that owned a successful auto body shop. I used my skills on my 190E which I was restoring. The paint looked like glass when I was done and everyone used to ask me how I did it. About 10 years ago I helped Meguiars set up their first customer training classes in Irvine and during these events I honed my skills with a rotary and random orbital. I started professionally detailing cars on and off over the past 10 years and had done a couple of concours preparations which I really enjoyed. I stopped doing this about a year ago when I realized it wasn't worth spending my time doing it and I couldn't get paid what my time was worth. So now I just do it for my own enjoyment. When I was still detailing a few 928 owners asked me to work on their cars, here are some before afters:

https://rennlist.com/forums/concours...or-detail.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...-step-1-a.html

Nice work! Well I hope to learn from your skillz when you move down here.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:10 AM
thatguitarplace
Intermediate

Do you drive your car daily and where do you live? Knowing this will help us to provide the right procedure to keep the car looking perfect.

i live in prague in the czech republic..thanks !
Old 01-30-2012, 06:11 AM
thatguitarplace
Intermediate

Did you read page #1?

Shampoo= washing hair.

Soap= washing Porsche.

really ? i am british and we wash our faces with soap and our cars with car shampoo !!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:13 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

i live in prague in the czech republic..thanks !
Definitely use car soap (shampoo) and follow the posted instructions for washing the car. This should help keep the hood and rear looking perfect. I believe there are still many coal fired power plants out that way which means you will experience acid rain. Wax regularly to minimize acid rain etching on the paint and if the car does get rained on I would try to rinse before the rain has a chance to dry.

Quick Reply: Is spider webbing inevitable? (no pun intended)