Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder owners, what's your daily?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 12:26 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Boxster is the DD (60K miles). The 997 is the weekend car (16K miles).
Old 12-04-2011, 05:17 PM
jaci
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

2008 mini Cooper S for summer and a 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman All4 for winter, which should be arriving in Baltimore Port tomorrow. The Spyder is in the garage with the 356C.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:34 AM
thatguitarplace
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my spyder is my daily driver !
Old 01-12-2012, 10:17 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Enjoyed this thread - and learned about that cool 4-door VW diesel that gets 47mph! Wow.

I don't have a Spyder - but do have a few 911s. After many years of wishing for a P-car as a DD, I took the plunge on a CPO '06 C2S Cab. My last DD was a Mini Cooper S. Great car up until 75K miles - then everything fell apart. Like the OP, my wife commutes 30K miles per year. She has a gorgeous new Land Rover LR4 that gets (gasp) around 15.7 mpg. That VW is sounding awful good!

Enjoy your Spyders guys. I am think of making one my next DD. I really enjoy "raw" Porsches. The C2S is a bit disappointing compared to my GT3... I'd like that "visceral" feel daily!

-B
Old 02-15-2012, 10:12 PM
TenHut
Track Day

Originally Posted by jabbey
Interesting topic. I have an FJ Cruiser and it's thirsty and have been thinking, I should investigate alternatives. I live in DC Metro, so we get occasional snow/ice, so I like having the AWD option. Actually looked at a Nissan Juke. Turbo 4, AWD, and not expensive, but polarizing design/looks. Is there an AWD variant for the VW?
There is the R....basically a GTI with awd and ~50 more HP. Nice cars, I had an '08. I like the '12 a lot. ~35K
Old 02-15-2012, 11:01 PM
balakris
Instructor

Originally Posted by TenHut
There is the R....basically a GTI with awd and ~50 more HP. Nice cars, I had an '08. I like the '12 a lot. ~35K
I want the LED head and tail lights from the R.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:20 PM
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JEI-Porsche
The MINI makes a perfect & fun daily driver.
I really miss my JCW!!!!

Great cars.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:30 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullitt44
I really miss my JCW!!!! Great cars.
Yes, I would agree. I just added this MY2011 JCW as our daily driver. My wife was not as excited as I was about our recently purchased '74 VW Karmann Convertible due to the lack of airbags and other safety equipment! This Cooper is a blast to drive!

Saludos, Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

I don't get it! Most of you guys drive something else as your DD. Why is that? I am considering a Spyder when my extended warranty runs out on my 997.1. I love this car and yes, drive it daily! I occasionally drive my wife's 528i but always sigh a sigh of "returning home" when I slip back int the 911.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:51 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
I don't get it! Most of you guys drive something else as your DD. Why is that? I am considering a Spyder when my extended warranty runs out on my 997.1. I love this car and yes, drive it daily! I occasionally drive my wife's 528i but always sigh a sigh of "returning home" when I slip back int the 911.
For some, the top is an issue for Spyder drivers. Either parking location or weather( blowing rain) or noise.
The top on a Spyder, as I am sure you know, is a a little more involved and "Some" people, like me, find it cumbersome and noisy. I, after a demo, opted for a regular Boxster S. For some, it is the cat's meow.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

While I could drive the Spyder daily and would have no problem with it my bigger issue is that I want to hold on to it for a long time and I like my toys looking new so driving daily just wouldn't work for me. Here in New England the roads are absolutely a mess during the winters and cars take a beating. Between the sand, salt, extensive network of potholes and heavy traffic I just couldn't bring myself to do it. So I have a cheaper car that I could justify trashing and more importantly I can easily find a suitable replacement. With limited quantities of Spyders I can't just go out and get another.

That's just how I think though and everyone feels different about their cars. If you want one I would say go for it, they are incredible cars and can be easily driven daily. Don't expect the car to cocoon you though, it is a sports car and very different from a 911 IMHO.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:39 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Yes, I would agree. I just added this MY2011 JCW as our daily driver. My wife was not as excited as I was about our recently purchased '74 VW Karmann Convertible due to the lack of airbags and other safety equipment! This Cooper is a blast to drive!

Saludos, Eduardo
Eduardo, you have FANTASTIC taste. That JCW looks awesome. I've been considered either a mini or a FT86 as a daily driver. I've been leaning away from the mini because of the FWD setup, but then I see a picture of yours... Anyone who is debating how to option a car needs to consult Eduardo first!

My commute is 3 miles. The car isn't even warmed up by the time I get to my office. It's not worth putting those worthless miles on the spyder. Admittedly, the roof is an issue as well. The car needs to be driven top-down. Even in California, the weather doesn't always cooperate. Driving the car for a few minutes and then taking another minute to put the top back on isn't very efficient. The spyder also attracts a decent amount of attention, which isn't always a good thing in a work environment. Like Afshin said, this is a special and rare car. The miles I put on it are going to be worthwhile miles, ie weekend fun and fun at the track.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Winter.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Eduardo, you have FANTASTIC taste. That JCW looks awesome. I've been considered either a mini or a FT86 as a daily driver. I've been leaning away from the mini because of the FWD setup, but then I see a picture of yours... Anyone who is debating how to option a car needs to consult Eduardo first!
Thanks, Orthojoe. I have a photo of me wearing a 'green' polyester suit that I bought in 'Swinging' London's Carnaby Street back in 1974 to remind me that I am quite fallible too!

I don't get it! Most of you guys drive something else as your DD. Why is that?
That is not the half of it. I also have a MB CL600 that is depreciating rapidly and that I am paying a ton of insurance that sits there too! If you you ever find out the real root cause of our apparent affliction (yes, it's a serious disease), please tell us 'cause we are clueless!

I can't always blame the weather like Polar or Marine Blue since I live in Carmel. And it's not the 'noise'...I don't find it bad at all with the top up! If you want to talk about 'noise', come hear the droning from the standard 'sport' exhaust on my JCW on long drives! So what is the reason I don't use my Spyder everyday? I would have to say that I am just paranoid about door dings, finding the 'right' parking locations everywhere I go, worrying about the careless tourists with their rentals or the texting teenage drivers, and the potential vandalism from the envious at a time when even some of our politicians at the highest level in our country have taken up the 'Occupy Wall Street' mantra. So for me the Spyder becomes a special-purpose 'drive to & from' car, rather than a convenient 'daily driver'. I have a friend in Marin County (he is also a Rlister) that leased his Spyder, drives it everyday to work in San Francisco, parks it on the street in front of his house at night and has over 20K miles on the Odo! I wish I could be like him...maybe in my next life!

Saludos, Eduardo
Old 02-19-2012, 02:42 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

so how does the mini JCW compare? I am thinking of a countryman....

Quick Reply: Spyder owners, what's your daily?