Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Question for Spyder Owners...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 04:23 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 936 Posts
Default Question for Spyder Owners...

Does your A-Pillar whistle at high speeds? The culprit is the rubber A-pillar seal that meets the roof. The weird thing is my 2011 Spyder did not have this issue, but my 2012 does. I wonder if they changed the design for the 2012 MY? or is my issue a isolated one off problem. Curious to hear what others have to say.
TIA,
D.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:15 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

How loud is the whistling? I hear a faint whistle at high speeds but not enough to really be noticeable or bothersome. I've always heard the faint whistle comes from the side mirrors.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:28 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
How loud is the whistling? I hear a faint whistle at high speeds but not enough to really be noticeable or bothersome. I've always heard the faint whistle comes from the side mirrors.
It's pretty noticeable and it's annoying... especially knowing that my original Spyder didn't have this issue. It's definitely coming from the seal and it's so loud you notice it. It's only when I drive with the roof off.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:56 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Spyders were built to give a raw, visceral driving experience. It's just been improved for MY '12!
Old 09-21-2011, 12:12 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 135 Posts

I just got back from a 1000 mile road trip. No whistle at any speeds including 100+ mph (closed course). My Spyder is a 2011.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cayman
It's pretty noticeable and it's annoying... especially knowing that my original Spyder didn't have this issue. It's definitely coming from the seal and it's so loud you notice it. It's only when I drive with the roof off.
I would bring it in, there must be something wrong with it. Hopefully other 2012 owners will also chime in to confirm.

For reference my Spyder is a very late build 2011, literally one of last ones built before the 2012 model run.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:50 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

My big worry is the dealer will just cut the seal flange at the top and do a sloppy job at that. It's on both sides which makes me think it's a seal mold issue?

I made and cancelled a previous appointment for my side windows. They weren't lowering enough when closing the doors. It was pinching the roof when closing so it wasn't under the roof. I started driving around with the windows about a 1/2" from fully closed. Since then I retried the windows fully closed and they don't catch the roof anymore. I've heard that the windows have a self-learn/adjust feature and I think it did just that.

I think the assembly line got a little to relaxed towards the end of the production run.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've also had the issue with the passenger window not lowering enough and catching the roof when it closes. It's itermittent (happened 3 times now) and it seems to go away as soon as I open and close it so the self learn feature must be doing its job.

Can you post a picture of your seal? Curious to know if others are seeing this or if its isolated. I would ask the dealer what the fix is for the seal. I agree that a sloppy looking seal in such a visible area is not acceptable.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:08 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

mine whistles

also, window catches intermittently

both are a little annoying but the car is too much fun to worry
guess I should have them both checked out
was just at the dealer today, 2050 miles already
Old 09-21-2011, 06:46 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neither problem on mine.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:08 PM
jabbey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just about to start a thread with the very same name. My post was going to be about the window on the passenger side pinching. It seems to manifest most when not using the weather protector (rear canvas). Almost every time I have just the sun shade configured, the passenger door window will pinch/bunch on the sunshade.

So, based on the advice and experience of Cayman, should I drive for some time with the windows a bit lower? Not sure how that might help "learn" the system. I'm willing to try whatever though, as for me, it is annoying.

No A-pillar whistle. Sorry to hear that.

My rear wind-deflector definitely "clicks" at high speeds and I think it needs to be looked at. Plan to do that with the dealer. I also thought I had metal clanking going on, only later to find out that when the sunshade is in its home in the trunk, the tethering cable (not the side that tucks away in the canvas, but the free part) is often in a position exposed against the trunk lid. Solution, I have a microfiber cloth in the trunk, so when I store the sunshade, I'll just tuck that on top of the exposed tethering hook. No clinks now.

Looking forward to info on the "learning" mode of the windows.

john
Old 09-21-2011, 08:30 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

I never use the rear piece, maybe that's why I get the pinching on the pax side

the only time I put the rear piece on is when I drove to the car wash (we're still not allowed to wash our cars at home due to water restrictions)
Old 09-21-2011, 08:56 PM
jabbey
Advanced

In my research, I found this over in another forum. It relates to sounds I hear with my windows when entering/starting. Mystery solved. Maybe new info to you all as well.

Originally Posted by Cliffh93
--Each time I start the car, I hear the passanger window move slightly.

Response:
Normal. This was driving me crazy in the beginning because I thought something was wrong. When you unlock the car with the remote control, the car drops the windows just enough to releive the pressure on the window seals. It does this on both windows to prepare for both driver and passenger entry. When you climb in and close the door, it puts the driver window back up. When you start the engine, it assumes you will not have a passenger joining you so it re-seats the passenger window. Nothing to worry about.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:13 PM
pcw
Instructor

Originally Posted by jabbey
I was just about to start a thread with the very same name. My post was going to be about the window on the passenger side pinching. It seems to manifest most when not using the weather protector (rear canvas). Almost every time I have just the sun shade configured, the passenger door window will pinch/bunch on the sunshade.

So, based on the advice and experience of Cayman, should I drive for some time with the windows a bit lower? Not sure how that might help "learn" the system. I'm willing to try whatever though, as for me, it is annoying.

No A-pillar whistle. Sorry to hear that.

My rear wind-deflector definitely "clicks" at high speeds and I think it needs to be looked at. Plan to do that with the dealer. I also thought I had metal clanking going on, only later to find out that when the sunshade is in its home in the trunk, the tethering cable (not the side that tucks away in the canvas, but the free part) is often in a position exposed against the trunk lid. Solution, I have a microfiber cloth in the trunk, so when I store the sunshade, I'll just tuck that on top of the exposed tethering hook. No clinks now.

Looking forward to info on the "learning" mode of the windows.

john
There's a tsb for the wind deflector. Ask your dealer about it. My dealer had to order the parts, they just came in.

Pcw
Old 09-21-2011, 09:24 PM
gwc
Advanced

My spyder is a July build '12. I have not noticed the whistle, maybe I do not drive fast enough.

Quick Reply: Question for Spyder Owners...