Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Cayman R vs. Boxster Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 12:29 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Thanks.
What is you best guess on the difference? Is the small amount of additional stiffening (chassis and suspension claims) just that little bit to much?

And, based on your experience, do you think swapping to R-compound tires would benefit the R more than the Spyder?

Thanks, again.
Steve, my best guess is twofold:

1. Something I've seen before with a select few open Porsches (997-1 Turbo Cab comes to mind): the open car's less-stiff structure may be allowing the wheels to follow the road better, and is thus either more confidence inspiring or actually more grippy —* or both. Local autocrosser and track instructor (and decades dominant) Terry Zuccone talks about this when talking about his super-high-mile 911 Targa, and I think he speaks from a credible platform. I am not, however, suggesting that open cars make better platforms. What I am saying is that, in certain situations, and with certain development limitations, there may be cases where the extra "give" or "compliance" in the chassis may work out to a faster car, or at least one a driver is able to use more of.

2. I understand the Cayman R got the go ahead after the Boxster Spyder was so well received. Like the Cayman S was, it is an adaptation of an existing Boxster, and a review of its suspension components reveals that few are different as one might expect given that it's a closed car. This may work with the point above.

I'd have been curious to see the difference on a full track, but it just wasn't to be. However, Johannes' test is but one of four components in the new issue, and the others are probably more revealing, if not in numbers than in impressions. There are advantages to the Cayman R's structure, and these showed up on our road-test loop.

Great thing with Johannes is that I can always be confident in his ability to get the most out of the cars and then interpret the result intelligently against his breadth of experience.

The fact he is not on any manufacturer's payroll doesn't hurt, either...

pete
Old 09-19-2011, 01:03 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I am a long time 944/951/968 owner and have a very nice examples of a modified 951 and a 100% stock 968 cab. I've recently been fighting the urge to swap out both and move into a Boxster Spyder after spending some time with one at the Porsche Driving Experience and thought I had gotten it out of my system. Your article didn't help! lol

Seriously, thanks for a great article!
Old 09-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by sh944
I am a long time 944/951/968 owner and have a very nice examples of a modified 951 and a 100% stock 968 cab. I've recently been fighting the urge to swap out both and move into a Boxster Spyder after spending some time with one at the Porsche Driving Experience and thought I had gotten it out of my system. Your article didn't help! lol

Seriously, thanks for a great article!
Funny I made the same mistake of test driving a Spyder although my experience was brief (new dealer car). Regardless it was enough to realize I had to have one and I haven't looked back. I have absolutely no regrets. Go for it, you won't be disappointed!
Old 09-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by excmag

1. Something I've seen before with a select few open Porsches (997-1 Turbo Cab comes to mind): the open car's less-stiff structure may be allowing the wheels to follow the road better, and is thus either more confidence inspiring or actually more grippy —* or both. Local autocrosser and track instructor (and decades dominant) Terry Zuccone talks about this when talking about his super-high-mile 911 Targa, and I think he speaks from a credible platform. I am not, however, suggesting that open cars make better platforms. What I am saying is that, in certain situations, and with certain development limitations, there may be cases where the extra "give" or "compliance" in the chassis may work out to a faster car, or at least one a driver is able to use more of.

2. I understand the Cayman R got the go ahead after the Boxster Spyder was so well received. Like the Cayman S was, it is an adaptation of an existing Boxster, and a review of its suspension components reveals that few are different as one might expect given that it's a closed car. This may work with the point above.

I'd have been curious to see the difference on a full track, but it just wasn't to be. However, Johannes' test is but one of four components in the new issue, and the others are probably more revealing, if not in numbers than in impressions. There are advantages to the Cayman R's structure, and these showed up on our road-test loop.

Great thing with Johannes is that I can always be confident in his ability to get the most out of the cars and then interpret the result intelligently against his breadth of experience.

pete
Pete, great explanation and response. You need to check Planet 9, there's a thread discussing this article and I think this response may help answer some questions.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:23 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pete
Thanks, Pete

Your first point matches my experience, too.

I'm a subscriber, so await that issue's arrival.

I've yet to drive an R, but the Spyder's suspension is magical. My R should be here by Thursday. I plan on driving it on R-compound tires. I guess I'll find out..
Old 09-19-2011, 03:33 PM
JEI-Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I drive a Spyder so I am partial to it.

However, just saw another test (street test) between the Spyder and Cayman R where they concluded the Cayman R was clearly the better & faster car.

http://www.gtpurelyporsche.com/thismonth.asp
Old 09-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JEI-Porsche
I drive a Spyder so I am partial to it.

However, just saw another test (street test) between the Spyder and Cayman R where they concluded the Cayman R was clearly the better & faster car.

http://www.gtpurelyporsche.com/thismonth.asp
I didn't have a chance to read the article but I'm curious if GT Purely Porsche used the same approach with same tires, same road conditions, same transmission etc. Also did they time the cars against each other on a closed street circuit or something else?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:04 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

There are so many variables that can factor into these tests, unless there is a wide margin between cars over a larger sample of tests (ie if every magazine that tests the Spyder vs the CR comes up with the same overall wide margin), there is no way of knowing with any certainty. Car set-up and alignment, previous use/abuse, did they use the same drivers, did the weather/temp/humidity/sunlight change, which car went first, had the drivers just eaten lucnh/breakfast or talked with their wife/husband between runs, etc will all change the results to some extent. There is also editorial bias that can creep into it, no matter how objective people can try to be. Its the same thing as doing dyno runs on different days, you really have a much harder time getting results that you can compare, especially if they are only incremental differences in performance.

It looks to me that you really can't lose between these two choices.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:30 PM
wds928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete, the Boxster Spyder/Cayman R story looks great, but I'll have to wait for the print issue to arrive to read about the 928 GTS story.

I've got a '94 GTS with 166,000 miles on the clock (and the Savannah PCA Parade Concours win, plus third place in autocross). This is a great driving car, but my '92 Mercedes 500E may be the favorite. 209,000 miles and still running strong.

Keep up the great stories and photos!
Old 09-20-2011, 01:52 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by wds928
Pete, the Boxster Spyder/Cayman R story looks great, but I'll have to wait for the print issue to arrive to read about the 928 GTS story.

I've got a '94 GTS with 166,000 miles on the clock (and the Savannah PCA Parade Concours win, plus third place in autocross). This is a great driving car, but my '92 Mercedes 500E may be the favorite. 209,000 miles and still running strong.

Keep up the great stories and photos!
Ooh, 500E... I strongly considered buying a one-owner Midnight Blue/Blue 500E in SF a few year ago. Miles were too high (150,000~), but it was MINT. Still kick myself for passing on that one from time to time.

Interesting that 944/968/928 peeps are posting here...kinda feeds my pet theory about Porsche people, that there are three types: the ones who are interested in all of 'em, the ones who only like "the" Porsches (i.e. rear-engined ones), and the ones who like the models that aren't rear-engined.

Having had one 914, one 911 (after having searched for a good 968), and one Boxster and having loved them all, I am not sure where I fit in, but the fact I kept the 914 and let the others go probably says something about me...
Old 09-20-2011, 02:10 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

While the Cayman R may have a stiffer structure and be slightly lighter, The spyder's center of gravity is lower which improves handling I have just glanced at the article as my Excellence just arrived today.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Specifically you noted that the Spyder was heavier, was it a highly optioned car causing the increase in weight?
Yes - the Spyder was loaded with all of the 'heavy' options - AC, PCM/nav, sport seats w/heat, xenons w/headlight washers, with full leather (and strangely has the instrument cluster cover? Not sure what that is doing on a Spyder...). I can tell by the registration that it is an early Spyder, so no factory LiON battery.

The R was a stripper - no AC, and sport buckets.

I received mine yesterday, and only had a chance to give it a glace as well - but it looks to be another great issue, Pete!
Old 09-21-2011, 03:25 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting that 944/968/928 peeps are posting here...kinda feeds my pet theory about Porsche people, that there are three types: the ones who are interested in all of 'em, the ones who only like "the" Porsches (i.e. rear-engined ones), and the ones who like the models that aren't rear-engined.
I have had a front engine 4 cylinder Porsche since 1991. That as an 87 924S. In 1997 I pick-up a 88 944 Turbo S after the unfortunate demise of my 87 924S. That lead to it being donor for 84 944 race car built to spec rules. I have raced that since 2002 and tracked it since 2000. I have owned that 944 Turbo S since and never found a car I really want to swap it out with. The Cayman R/Boxster Spyder seem to be the cars to do it with. However am just not a fan of open top, but don't a "race car" on the street either as I have a race car.

Anyway I loved that story on the two special mid engine cars.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:25 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Ooh, 500E... I strongly considered buying a one-owner Midnight Blue/Blue 500E in SF a few year ago. Miles were too high (150,000~), but it was MINT. Still kick myself for passing on that one from time to time.

Having had one 914, one 911 (after having searched for a good 968), and one Boxster and having loved them all, I am not sure where I fit in, but the fact I kept the 914 and let the others go probably says something about me...
First, I'm a W124 500E enthusiast as well. Second, I find it interesting how you characterize P car owners. I probably fall into the first group who are interested in all of them. But then, I'm also keenly interested in two other marques; focused variety is good. Although I've owned mostly 911 as Pcars, the most fun are the better balanced ones i.e. 914, 944. When I first experienced mid-engine cars at the track, I started looking at 911s very differently and less favorable as a sports car. Now, I like them as street sports car with 4 seats for occasional use. As an only car, it is hard to beat its versatile combination.

But if I had another more practical car (like a 500E) and am looking for a new/recent Porsche, the Spyder and Cayman R are great choices. Between the two, it boils down to the climate I live in and how much track time I plan to do. The more dedicated track car I like, the more I'd lean towards the R. I've driven both - the R I drove at an autox track. I got sold on the Cayman platform and recently bought one.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:59 PM
WAY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So anyone can share what the other parts of the article says? Unfortunately being in Australia, it's hard to find Excellence dice Borders closed down.

Quick Reply: Cayman R vs. Boxster Spyder